Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Your right, I don't get it cause you are wrong and deeply confusing bad/sketchy neighborhoods with some other definition.
No, you're right. BH is an oasis. I never really saw any bad street or even house. It's a complete paradise. Looking back now, I don't know what I thought I saw. I must have dozed off on Sunset or something! You are absolutely right. BH is over five square miles of perfect neighborhoods. I don't know what I was thinking. Heck, I probably lied about living in Glendale too. Why I would pick that to lie about, is beyond me but I did. But you're right. Heck, I've never even been to California. You got me. It's all in my head. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go take my meds.

Oh, and to try to stay on topic. Montclair is right. Brooklyn can't even compete with anything in Southern California. Remember Montclair, Malibu is more world famous than Brooklyn. It only has about a million less people than LA itself, but you guys are right, there simply is nothing there. Oh, wait Brooklyn has beaches too. Well, maybe it's on par with Whittier!

Old 10-31-2013, 04:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think so, though I think the gap between Chicago and Los Angeles is closer than the gap between New York City and Los Angeles (city-only). On the other hand I do think Metro Los Angeles and Metro New York are closer than Metro Los Angeles and Chicagoland.
True on both points.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:13 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm not sure the NYC style would suit it, but I can imagine something more like a giant San Francisco pretty easy instead of mostly auto centric Los Angeles
Honestly...They could keep the city structured the way it is. What has to happen faster is connecting these areas by rail. LA was originally built for streetcars, and the largest areas of Los Angeles are all walkable. However, getting from Neighborhood to Neighborhood is a challenge unless you live near a metro stop. Once the expo line goes out to the Beach in 2015, that will fix alot of problems getting from one side of the city to another.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
No, you're right. BH is an oasis. I never really saw any bad street or even house. It's a complete paradise. Looking back now, I don't know what I thought I saw. I must have dozed off on Sunset or something! You are absolutely right. BH is over five square miles of perfect neighborhoods. I don't know what I was thinking. Heck, I probably lied about living in Glendale too. Why I would pick that to lie about, is beyond me but I did. But you're right. Heck, I've never even been to California. You got me. It's all in my head. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go take my meds.

Oh, and to try to stay on topic. Montclair is right. Brooklyn can't even compete with anything in Southern California. Remember Montclair, Malibu is more world famous than Brooklyn. It only has about a million less people than LA itself, but you guys are right, there simply is nothing there. Oh, wait Brooklyn has beaches too. Well, maybe it's on par with Whittier!
If anybody on this forum can locate any bad neighborhoods in Beverly Hills than you win this argument. All anybody has to do is show me ONE "sketchy" residential street. Just one residential street, is all I'm asking for.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Honestly...They could keep the city structured the way it is. What has to happen faster is connecting these areas by rail. LA was originally built for streetcars, and the largest areas of Los Angeles are all walkable. However, getting from Neighborhood to Neighborhood is a challenge unless you live near a metro stop. Once the expo line goes out to the Beach in 2015, that will fix alot of problems getting from one side of the city to another.
This and making the Boulevards (i.e. most major arteries, for example Olympic, Santa Monica, La Brea, Vine) more pedestrian-friendly would go a long way to cut down on the car-centric reputation of Los Angeles.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
If anybody on this forum can locate any bad neighborhoods in Beverly Hills than you win this argument. All anybody has to do is show me ONE "sketchy" residential street. Just one residential street, is all I'm asking for.
Look, I'm getting tired of the same damn question from you. I already told you that I have never lived there, but have been there many times. Are you thick? Do you want to quiz me on Glendale? Please be my guest. You seem to not believe a word I say. And I'll quiz you on NYC. Then we'll see who's assuming and who's full of it!

I already admitted that slum was a bad word. What more do you want? Are you one of those annoying people who nit pick just one little thing that somebody (me) already told you that they can't prove. I only know what I saw. Perhaps, they've cleaned up some of the bad streets that I saw. Not that there really were many. You are getting beyond annoying. I don't see you arguing any of the multiple asinine things that Montclair the California savior has said. Malibu over Brooklyn???? Yet, you say nothing. Hmm, interesting. It's very interesting how selective you are in your arguments. I can tell you were that "know it all" in school who got under everybody's skin. Were you the guy who said, "there's no homework tonight, and then whined!"

Seriously, in the end it's just my opinion vs yours. Try not to lose sleep tonight over it.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Look, I'm getting tired of the same damn question from you. I already told you that I have never lived there, but have been there many times. Are you thick? Do you want to quiz me on Glendale? Please be my guest. You seem to not believe a word I say. And I'll quiz you on NYC. Then we'll see who's assuming and who's full of it!

I already admitted that slum was a bad word. What more do you want? Are you one of those annoying people who nit pick just one little thing that somebody (me) already told you that they can't prove. I only know what I saw. Perhaps, they've cleaned up some of the bad streets that I saw. Not that there really were many. You are getting beyond annoying. I don't see you arguing any of the multiple asinine things that Montclair the California savior has said. Malibu over Brooklyn. Yet, you say nothing. Hmm, interesting. It's very interesting how selective you are in your arguments. I can tell you were that "know it all" in school who got under everybody's skin. Were you the guy who said, "there's no homework tonight, and then whined!"

Seriously, in the end it's just my opinion vs yours. Try not to lose sleep tonight over it.
OK guy...You are getting worked up here so Ill let you just simmer down a bit.

Look at the first page. I already said NYC>LA... That is why I'm not making any comments on why LA>NYC. I wouldn't even dare say that.

Plus, Why would you say something you can't prove?

Last edited by jamills21; 10-31-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
OK guy...You are getting worked up here so Ill let you just simmer down a bit.

Look at the first page. I already said NYC>LA... That is why I'm not making any comments on why LA>NYC. I wouldn't even dare say that.

I'm not getting worked up. I'm just tired of the same damn question. I know what I saw. No amount of what you say has any bearing on it. You can do a hundred posts saying the same thing. I still know what I saw. It's not a big deal. It's not like BH as a whole isn't extremely nice. I saw a few not as nice as the rest of the streets and you took a fit that I said that. Look, we'll just agree to disagree. I'm mature enough for that.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not getting worked up. I'm just tired of the same damn question. I know what I saw. No amount of what you say has any bearing on it. You can do a hundred posts saying the same thing. I still know what I saw. It's not a big deal. It's not like BH as a whole isn't extremely nice. I saw a few not as nice as the rest of the streets and you took a fit that I said that. Look, we'll just agree to disagree. I'm mature enough for that.
Your entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Regardless, NYC is more iconic than LA to a lot of people.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Your entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Regardless, NYC is more iconic than LA to a lot of people.
Dude, it could have just ended there. I'm getting real tired of you calling me a liar. So you're saying, that I never saw one shady street/ house, etc in all of Beverly Hills about eight years ago? You're telling me that I'm making this up? Why would I do that? What purpose does it serve? It doesn't even align to my own argument. I'm debating NYC vs LA. It was Montclair who wanted to say that Malibu was more iconic/ important than Brooklyn. He's who I wanted to debate. You just jumped in on one little detail and allowed him to hide from all the crap that he spewed. Have you noticed I'm not going anywhere? Where has Montclair been all this time? My argument isn't truly with you, but you made it that way. Once again, you can act like BH is perfect, or some kind of oasis, but I've been there enough times to have seen some "not so nice streets". Satisfied?

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-01-2013 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City