Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 07:26 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times

Advertisements

We're so boring and stagnant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn3gp-Ch2kk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Look at these boring and stagnant neighborhoods.

Philadelphia Neighborhoods — visitphilly.com

Old 12-08-2014, 07:37 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I pick Philly.

But then, I'm prejudiced.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
So contradictory!

You say most of Philly is boring outside Center City... LOL... then post terribly mediocre boring neighborhoods in Atlanta. Those rowhomes aren't even half the quality of Philadelphia's rowhome architecture.

...and let's be realistic, Atlanta is mostly boring suburban sprawl. How is this any different than Philadelphia's suburbs?

It's a common circle jerk on this forum that outside of Center City Philadelphia is boarded up rowhomes... LOL!

Inside the city limits: Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill, Old City, Market East, Chinatown, Penn Center, Logan Square, Fitler Square, Washington Square West, Franklintown-Museum District, Spring Garden, Fairmount, Callowhill, Northern Liberties, Templetown, Graduate Hospital, Bella Vista, Queen Village, Hawthorne, Newbold, Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing, Pennsport, Fishtown, Penn's Landing, Olde Kensington, University City, Powelton Village, Spruce Hill, Clark Park, Woodland Terrace, Cedar Park, Southwest Cedar Park, Squirrel Hill, Garden Court, Walnut Hill, Manayunk, East Falls, Germantown, West Mt. Airy, East Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill.

This isn't even getting to the Northeast part of the city which is still more built up than the majority of Atlanta LOL and we consider it a suburb.

Outside of the city limits: Wilmington, West Chester, Conshohocken, Camden, Upper Darby, Media, Newark, Dover, Kennet Square, Norristown, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Pottstown, Reading, Doylestown, Jenkintown, Ekton, Middletown, Lansdale, Newtown, New Hope, Collingswood, Haddonfield, Burlington, Bridgeton, Vineland, Ventnor, Cape May, Margate, Stone Harbor, Avalon, Sea Isle City, Wildwood, Atlantic City

^^ all of these are more walkable or just as walkable as Atlanta and their suburban towns and small cities... LOL!

Take a look at some street views if you don't believe me:

Wilmington
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7455...r5oEZFrdDg!2e0

West Chester
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9597...Z3eqyQw_zg!2e0

Ardmore
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0081...jmKaRLAqdA!2e0

Reading
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3368...KlNeG2espg!2e0

Media
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9181...IJubnU07-Q!2e0

Collingswood
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9161...8C6OwvhWnA!2e0

Are you kidding? You just walk 1-2 blocks over from the commercial streets and you're in regular suburbs in most of those links. You can find walkable little towns all over the Atlanta suburbs...Decatur actually is a decent size downtown outside of Atlanta.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:41 PM

He's kind of right. Philly for how large it was is stagnant. It hasn't really increased it's city rating in quite a long time. In fact, on many lists, it's surpassed by Dallas, Miami, Houston, and Atlanta. Hell, sometimes, it isn't even mentioned on the lists. Out of the four major cities in the NE/Mid Atlantic(Boston, NYC, D.C., and Philly), Philly ranks last. That's why the Philly boosters constantly have to whine "It's underrated!". When you have to use a mega city to boost up your city(in this case, NYC), clearly your city isn't as great as you think it is.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:43 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
He's kind of right. Philly for how large it was is stagnant. It hasn't really increased it's city rating in quite a long time. In fact, on many lists, it's surpassed by Dallas, Miami, Houston, and Atlanta. Hell, sometimes, it isn't even mentioned on the lists. Out of the four major cities in the NE/Mid Atlantic(Boston, NYC, D.C., and Philly), Philly ranks last. That's why the Philly boosters constantly have to whine "It's underrated!". When you have to use a mega city to boost up your city(in this case, NYC), clearly your city isn't as great as you think it is.
Excellent point.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:51 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Name a neighborhood in Atlanta that truly can't be matched in Philadelphia. Let's see your top performing venues? Your art institutions? Chefs? Museums? Historical Sites? Archieturure? Bridges? Parks? Everything that makes a city. And what are you even talking about?

Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Name a neighborhood in Atlanta that truly can't be matched in Philadelphia. Let's see your top performing venues? Your art institutions? Chefs? Museums? Historical Sites? Archieturure? Bridges? Parks? Everything that makes a city. And what are you even talking about?
Seattle doesn't exactly do well in many of those, but plenty of people would say it's a better city than Philly is. You don't have to be a 300 year old city to be a great city.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Seattle doesn't exactly do well in many of those, but plenty of people would say it's a better city than Philly is. You don't have to be a 300 year old city to be a great city.
I like Atlanta though do prefer Philly. Atlanta has not yet hit the critical mass I personally prefer. I do like how things in midtown are coming along but it does feel small. I cant meander like I can in cities I enjoy

Buckhead is a strip ( a long one as you or someone else pointed out) Buckhead is where the burbs meet the city Many people love it and that is totally fine but as a city Atlanta is not there yet for what I prefer. As a metro has come a long way but to me still leaves some on the city part. Again I like it but its not quite there on the city for me personally

Old 12-08-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? You just walk 1-2 blocks over from the commercial streets and you're in regular suburbs in most of those links. You can find walkable little towns all over the Atlanta suburbs...Decatur actually is a decent size downtown outside of Atlanta.
You walk one or two blocks over from the main commercial streets in Downtown or Midtown Atlanta and you're in a regular suburb.

Most of those links are regular suburbs 1-2 blocks over from the commercial streets? LOL.

Where in suburban ATL is more built up than Wilmington? Nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City