Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich city is better ?
Washington D.C. 129 48.86%
Philadelphia 135 51.14%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 12:45 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,587,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I agree with most category selections except Architecture I wouldn't say easily either way. Philly has some gorgeous and diverse architectural styles similar to the other legacy Northeast cities however DC's architecture is some of the most unique and grand of any US city. I'd probably give DC the edge there ever so slightly. Either that or a tie.

Also in the Suburbs category I would say Philly's suburbs win over DC's. Philly's suburbs are more quaint, charming and interesting overall. DC's suburbs, as has been stated a lot on other threads here recently, are more bland and cookie cutter overall.
You took the words right out of my mouth on both points! I agree completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 12:45 PM

403 posts, read 295,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I agree with most category selections except Architecture I wouldn't say easily either way. Philly has some gorgeous and diverse architectural styles similar to the other legacy Northeast cities however DC's architecture is some of the most unique and grand of any US city. I'd probably give DC the edge there ever so slightly. Either that or a tie.

Also in the Suburbs category I would say Philly's suburbs win over DC's. Philly's suburbs are more quaint, charming and interesting overall. DC's suburbs, as has been stated a lot on other threads here recently, are more bland and cookie cutter overall.
I agree with this 100%.

For those who have not experienced The Main Line, Mid and Upper Bucks and Lower Gwynedd do not have a good perception of the Philadelphia suburbs which are some of the best in the nation. Very very quaint and historic, with great architecture and because of the railroad legacy (which DC does not have) make them more interesting overall and less cookie cutter.

Many of the Philadelphia suburbs feel like you are in an authentic small town, with a charming and historic downtown with interesting eateries and shops with actual historic architecture.

Rather than DC which is all New Urbanism which tries to emulate the authentic suburbs that are of the likes of Philadelphia, Boston, NYC and Chicago which are the legacy railroad suburbs that originate from the 1800s.

Last edited by Penna76; 02-23-2021 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-24-2021, 08:59 AM

85 posts, read 58,780 times
This one may actually be a tie!

Old 02-24-2021, 09:28 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
DC for the city, easily. Vibrant, posh, polished, fun, clean, etc.

Philadelphia for the suburbs, easily. Quaint, charming, posh, beautiful, elegant. Reminiscent of Westchester Co. And Essex MA

*Disclaimer, PA Phil's suburbs, not NJ ones. I find the NJ ones (bar Cherry Hill) to be run down and low quality.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:58 AM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Philadelphia is nice, but I prefer DC.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 AM

724 posts, read 403,058 times
Definitely Philly for me. But I'm biased because I went to college there and fell in love with Philly. Have visited DC several of times and I like it, but I prefer Philly for city living.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:27 AM

403 posts, read 295,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
DC for the city, easily. Vibrant, posh, polished, fun, clean, etc.

Philadelphia for the suburbs, easily. Quaint, charming, posh, beautiful, elegant. Reminiscent of Westchester Co. And Essex MA

*Disclaimer, PA Phil's suburbs, not NJ ones. I find the NJ ones (bar Cherry Hill) to be run down and low quality.
I second this. The Pennsylvania suburbs are the best kept secret in the Mid Atlantic.

Wowzers. They are so nice. So quaint. And also historic. Those historic railroad suburbs from the 1800s are nothing you can quite find in DC.

I mean they made a movie about them. Katherine Hepburn herself.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:31 PM

313 posts, read 336,458 times
Some things just can't be replicated there is a time and a place for every thing . Those old towns were part of a particular time and place that's what makes them so special .

Old 02-24-2021, 01:15 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
DC is a more functional city. It feels like a nice neat district. More equitable, more polished, diverse, mild weather, wealthier.

Philadelphia is more fun and interesting city. Edgy, raw, big, historic, diverse, affordable, more ethnic pockets.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:48 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
I second this. The Pennsylvania suburbs are the best kept secret in the Mid Atlantic.

Wowzers. They are so nice. So quaint. And also historic. Those historic railroad suburbs from the 1800s are nothing you can quite find in DC.

I mean they made a movie about them. Katherine Hepburn herself.
Yup, and the Philly suburbs are so well-maintained and keep their beauty over time. I am originally from the DC area and the Montgomery County suburbs especially are the definition of bad aging. They are full of strip malls, office parks, and shopping centers from the 90's-early 2000's. It is the weirdest hodgepodge I've ever seen. In places like Wheaton, Rockville, and Silver Spring, you'll have completely rundown suburban strip malls and office parks, then right down the road, you'll have some nice homes/new developments, then right down the road from that, you'll have old homes. Yuck.

Philly's suburbs, in terms of look and feel, definitely rank above DC's. Although in fairness, I like the NOVA suburbs on the Virginia side better and even some of the farther out MD suburbs (Howard County). But the MD side DC suburbs (Montgomery and PG County) are pretty nasty (with a few exceptions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City