Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich city is better ?
Washington D.C. 129 48.86%
Philadelphia 135 51.14%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:17 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

When SEPTA gonna get itself together though? Where's that funding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When SEPTA gonna get itself together though? Where's that funding?
It has new funding. It's up to $600 million a year now. SEPTA was getting $300 million a year.

Right now it's basically undergoing repairs of bridges, tracks, stations, etc. It has now implemented 24 hour Subway service on weekends (Friday to Sunday), it will clean up stations, and is planning a transit expansion to King of Prussia, the Navy Yard in South Philly, and a "cultural corridor line" that will run in the old city branch, connecting to the museums, Fairmount Park and the Zoo.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
It has new funding. It's up to $600 million a year now. SEPTA was getting $300 million a year.

Right now it's basically undergoing repairs of bridges, tracks, stations, etc. It has now implemented 24 hour Subway service on weekends (Friday to Sunday), it will clean up stations, and is planning a transit expansion to King of Prussia, the Navy Yard in South Philly, and a "cultural corridor line" that will run in the old city branch, connecting to the museums, Fairmount Park and the Zoo.
Really? That's pretty good. Is there a site listing the current state of these projects? Do any of the plans already have dedicated funding?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:46 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
I am pretty certain SEPTA's increase in funding right now is for a 5 year plan deemed "Catching Up"

Good video presentation here:

http://septa.org/media/releases/2013/12-19a.html

http://septa.org/media/releases/2013...ement-plan.pdf

Old 11-16-2014, 08:55 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Really? That's pretty good. Is there a site listing the current state of these projects? Do any of the plans already have dedicated funding?
Only the KOP rail extension right now. The other two are in very early stages. Broad Street line extension to the Navy Yard will likely happen next.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:52 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/2014/09/dining-outside-downtown-there-are-more-options.html

I don't know about that. There are more outdoor sidewalk seats in just a small portion of downtown D.C. than all of Center City Philly according to these two articles. Philly has 4,423 outdoor sidewalk seats in Center City. Just in a small portion of downtown D.C. covered by the BID, there are 5,541 seats (http://www.downtowndc.org/). This doesn't include the rest of downtown D.C. like:

Golden Triangle BID
Dining | Golden Triangle BID

Mt. Vernon Triangle CID
Mount Vernon Triangle CID | Mount Vernon Triangle Community Improvement District

And adjacent neighborhoods like:

NOMA BID
NoMa | NoMa Business Improvement District, Washington, DC

Capital Riverfront BID
Capitol Riverfront Business Improvement District | Washington DC Riverfront Development

There were more restaurants in Center City with sidewalk seating then the downtown D.C. BID but I doubt Center City has more than the entire downtown D.C.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/2014/09/dining-outside-downtown-there-are-more-options.html

I don't know about that. There are more outdoor sidewalk seats in just a small portion of downtown D.C. than all of Center City Philly according to these two articles. Philly has 4,423 outdoor sidewalk seats in Center City. Just in a small portion of downtown D.C. covered by the BID, there are 5,541 seats (DowntownDC | Embrace the Experience). This doesn't include the rest of downtown D.C. like:

Golden Triangle BID
Dining | Golden Triangle BID

Mt. Vernon Triangle CID
Mount Vernon Triangle CID | Mount Vernon Triangle Community Improvement District

And adjacent neighborhoods like:

NOMA BID
NoMa | NoMa Business Improvement District, Washington, DC

Capital Riverfront BID
Capitol Riverfront Business Improvement District | Washington DC Riverfront Development

There were more restaurants in Center City with sidewalk seating then the downtown D.C. BID but I doubt Center City has more than the entire downtown D.C.

a lot especially the large ones don't really look like side walk seating per se this one is 450 seats, not sure this is what I meant really

http://www.itcdc.com/cmspages/getfil...1-1b474f1bef35

or this with 250 of those seats (apparently closing)

http://www.dccool.com/sites/default/...?itok=JX4u-xS7

Old 01-18-2015, 07:42 PM

251 posts, read 307,530 times
Love both. Voted Philly.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:18 AM

7 posts, read 10,160 times
Default I'd say even

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
Which city is better ?

The criteria :

Urban Feel
People
Better life
Entertainment
Architectures
Economy
Downtown
Suburbs
Future possibilities
Public transportation
Shopping
Open mindness
Schools

And more...
I'm from NYC originally, grew up in the DC Area, am now going to school in Philly

Urban Feel: Philly easily
People: Tie (DC is more open minded, but also more stuck up)
Better Life: Tie (DC has better quality of life, but way more expensive)
Entertainment: Philly narrowly
Architecture: Philly easily
Economy: DC easily
Downtown: Philly 100%, much more vibrant, DC is essentially a bunch of faceless office buildings
Suburbs: DC easily, they're way more culturally diverse and interesting than Philly's
Future Possibilities: DC (duh)
Public Transit: Both have good public transit for the US but the metro is more centralized and covers more area than SEPTA so DC
Shopping: Idk probably DC if you want high end stuff
Open Mindedness: DC is more progressive overall
Schools: DC, although both have pretty bad school systems and a number of really good colleges

I prefer Philly as a city to DC, although the greater DC region is better than greater Philly

Old 02-23-2021, 12:39 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT12 View Post
I'm from NYC originally, grew up in the DC Area, am now going to school in Philly

Urban Feel: Philly easily
People: Tie (DC is more open minded, but also more stuck up)
Better Life: Tie (DC has better quality of life, but way more expensive)
Entertainment: Philly narrowly
Architecture: Philly easily
Economy: DC easily
Downtown: Philly 100%, much more vibrant, DC is essentially a bunch of faceless office buildings
Suburbs: DC easily, they're way more culturally diverse and interesting than Philly's
Future Possibilities: DC (duh)
Public Transit: Both have good public transit for the US but the metro is more centralized and covers more area than SEPTA so DC
Shopping: Idk probably DC if you want high end stuff
Open Mindedness: DC is more progressive overall
Schools: DC, although both have pretty bad school systems and a number of really good colleges

I prefer Philly as a city to DC, although the greater DC region is better than greater Philly
I agree with most category selections except Architecture I wouldn't say easily either way. Philly has some gorgeous and diverse architectural styles similar to the other legacy Northeast cities however DC's architecture is some of the most unique and grand of any US city. I'd probably give DC the edge there ever so slightly. Either that or a tie.

Also in the Suburbs category I would say Philly's suburbs win over DC's. Philly's suburbs are more quaint, charming and interesting overall. DC's suburbs, as has been stated a lot on other threads here recently, are more bland and cookie cutter overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City