Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich city is better ?
Washington D.C. 129 48.86%
Philadelphia 135 51.14%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:08 PM

403 posts, read 295,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Can you post some Mainline areas from Google Street view?
Sure I can look up some street views and post them. The thing I love most about the Main Line is that it feels as if you are in England. It has such a British feel with its historic architecture and built form/layout, which is so unique.

It makes sense because the area was founded by William Penn and notable Welsh and that Quaker charm still exists.

With that, it is very Old Money in form, so most opulent homes are hidden with yes "nature", the very thing which makes the Main Line so not cookie cutter. Most homes sit behind large trees and gardens but I can look up some street views. It is very gauche on the Main Line to display your home, but rather it should sit behind a gate and trees.

You have to really be present in person to experience how unique the Main Line is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 04:11 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Mainline definitely feels like what I envision England to be (never been to the UK)

In general, Baltimore and Philly are the cities and suburbs that make me think most of England.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Can you post some Mainline areas from Google Street view?
Here you go. This video will show you WAY MORE than google street views can do.

Here is the link: https://vimeo.com/64088509

It sums up The Main Line in a very accurate 2 minute video. Have fun

Let me know what you think?

I appreciate BostonBornMass street views. You really have to be in person to experience how serene the Main Line is. It is just oh so beautiful and way nicer than NOVA. I think the video link above really will tell the story in a concise way on the rich history and uniqueness that few suburbs in the USA can match.

As I said, its character and history and culture give it a very English vibe. You feel at times you are in the UK not the USA when you are there.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:07 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post

Here is the link: [vimeo]64088509[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/64088509

I appreciate BostonBornMass street views. You really have to be in person to experience how serene the Main Line is. It is just oh so beautiful and way nicer than NOVA. I think the video link above really will tell the story in a concise way on the rich history and uniqueness that few suburbs in the USA can match.

As I said, its character and history and culture give it a very English vibe. You feel at times you are in the UK not the USA when you are there.
That video made it look extremely dull/bland. Main Line looks more exciting than that. Doesnt do it justice for being the 3rd-4th nices stretch of suburbs in the Nation.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:15 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:

Here is the link: [vimeo]64088509[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/64088509

That's a pretty good video. The Mainline looks very nice, I must admit.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
That video made it look extremely dull/bland. Main Line looks more exciting than that. Doesnt do it justice for being the 3rd-4th nices stretch of suburbs in the Nation.
I mean sure, I did not produce the video. Although it sums up the history and also # of top ranking liberal ivies it holds. Haverford, Villanova, Bryn Mawr (NOVA has none of this).

Not to mention Swarthmore. (Not the Main Line but still the Philadelphia burbs). And also so pretty.

The reason there is no Real Housewives of Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia is because the wealth is Old Money.

You have to experience the Main Line in life to know it. But yes in this thread, it exceeds NOVA by many regards. Just as KOP Mall exceeds Tysons.

I do love DC though, it is one of my Fav 5 US cities. But I appreciate the Philadelphia history more and its suburbs. That is just me. Others can think differently.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
it is dull bland just like metrowest

Old 02-24-2021, 05:48 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
it is dull bland just like metrowest
dont get me started on my hatred of the Metrowest and how overrated it is.
"Do you want an overpriced 2000sqft Colonial with no garage, window AC units in a town that is 99% white that is afraid to build multifamily units in fear that it will bring in undesirables? For only $2,500,000! Come to the MetroWest today!"

Old 02-24-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
dont get me started on my hatred of the Metrowest and how overrated it is.
"Do you want an overpriced 2000sqft Colonial with no garage, window AC units in a town that is 99% white that is afraid to build multifamily units in fear that it will bring in undesirables? For only $2,500,000! Come to the MetroWest today!"
But the culture is literally and blatantly "dullness". People buy into it for schools, predictability, privacy, homogeneity, and quiet. Mainline is the same. with slightly denser centers but its not super exciting. by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:24 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
I mean sure, I did not produce the video. Although it sums up the history and also # of top ranking liberal ivies it holds. Haverford, Villanova, Bryn Mawr (NOVA has none of this).

Not to mention Swarthmore. (Not the Main Line but still the Philadelphia burbs). And also so pretty.

The reason there is no Real Housewives of Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia is because the wealth is Old Money.

You have to experience the Main Line in life to know it. But yes in this thread, it exceeds NOVA by many regards. Just as KOP Mall exceeds Tysons.

I do love DC though, it is one of my Fav 5 US cities. But I appreciate the Philadelphia history more and its suburbs. That is just me. Others can think differently.
I prefer the new money look of NOVA, but I appreciate the Mainline's beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City