Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich city is better ?
Washington D.C. 129 48.86%
Philadelphia 135 51.14%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I really like that Italian market.
I don't.... It's a shell of it's former self. Not the Italian Market I grew up with. It used to bustle 7 days per week and went for blocks. It's nothing like that now. Not even close. I used to think that the opening of Welcome Back Kotter showed the Italian Market because of the look and the bustle. lol

1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJF6e0y_dA

2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpbRd_EeJJQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 03:02 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
King of Prussia Mall by itself is practically the same size as both Tyson's Corner Center and Tysons Galleria combined... and will in fact be the same size after the expansion is complete... and offers everything both Malls do under one roof.

Soooo, tell me what mall is better than KOP again? KOP can match both Tyson's Corner and Galleria by itself.

I'm a city boy so you can have KOP and Tyson's. If its not in the city, its not for me. Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, and Silver Spring is about as far as I like going out.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:04 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The city of Philadelphia doesn't have the market to support stores at the level we are talking about so I don't know what you are talking about. What Gucci, LV, Hermes, Dior, Ferragamo etc. etc. stores are in Philly? The only stores closing in D.C. are the ones in Chevy Chase. The ones in Tyson's will remain.
As it is now, no. But these stores are in the area located in King if Prussia Mall. So obviously the region has the wealth to support them... and as Center City gets wealthier and more and more retailers come to Center City, who says it won't within a few years?

I mean Intermix, Theory, Stuart Weitzman, Vince and Michael Kors have opened in Center City in the past year alone. And say these aren't high end to anyone in the fashion industry and they'll laugh at you. Who is to say Philly won't get more stores as Center City continues to get wealthier?

I mean, you don't build buildings like this in a market with no rich and wealthy:
16 Reasons Why 500 Walnut Is Going to Be Luxuriously Bonkers - Coming Attractions - Curbed Philly

And this demographic could EASILY support this sort of high end retail you're talking about. And the wealthy are only continuing to enter Center City... as this isn't the first high end condo tower (1706 Rittenhouse, Parc, 10 Rittenhouse, Residences at the Ritz, R2L), and it won't be the last (SLS International, One Riverside).

Old 11-12-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I'll get back to this later when I have access to a computer, since you told me to state facts and statistics but apparently I'll prove you right? Although I'll prove you very wrong.
I just provided the statistics. School system Philadelphia is slightly better. Colleges/universities they're about equal although Philadelphia has the best University out of the two in Penn. DC is slightly wealthier but Philadelphia isn't far behind, and to say there is no wealth in Philadelphia area is a joke.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:07 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
King of Prussia Mall by itself is practically the same size as both Tyson's Corner Center and Tysons Galleria combined... and will in fact be the same size after the expansion is complete... and offers everything both Malls do under one roof.

Soooo, tell me what mall is better than KOP again? KOP can match both Tyson's Corner and Galleria by itself.
You do realize that Tysons is one shopping center and they're not two seperate malls? There just in two seperate buildings which is going under expansion and construction aswell.... But it's still all Tysons. You can't seperate the two because it's Tysons. So basically you just admitted that Tysons does match KOP and that KOP is not superior and that they're in the same league but KOP has the slight edge with everything being in one building. So just ask yourself this. Did you just now realize that's what I've been trying to say the whole time? I never said Tysons was better than KOP. Also that they are both amazing malls and one does not trump the other?

What mall is better than KOP? Really? That's simple..... Mall of America.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You do realize that Tysons is one shopping center and they're not two seperate malls? There just in two seperate buildings which is going under expansion and construction aswell.... But it's still all Tysons. You can't seperate the two because it's Tysons. So basically you just admitted that Tysons does match KOP and that KOP is not superior and that they're in the same league but KOP has the slight edge with everything being in one building. So just ask yourself this. Did you just now realize that's what I've been trying to say the whole time? I never said Tysons was better than KOP. Also that they are both amazing malls and one does not trump the other?

What mall is better than KOP? Really? That's simple..... Mall of America.
Well my original point was KOP has no one mall equal to it in the DC area. If you want to combine two malls to compete with it, then sure, you can do that!

And Mall of America just has a freaking rollercoaster inside lol, but in terms of actual stores? No, there is no mall better than KOP when it comes to just retail.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:20 PM

The Mid-Atlantic's Most Expensive Urban Condos

Washington DC area
Parc Somerset
Friendship Heights, MD
Highest price for unit: $8.65 million

Philadelphia area
1706 Rittenhouse
Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia
Highest price or unit: $12.459 million

Urban Mid-Atlantic: The Mid-Atlantic's Most Expensive Urban Condos

Old 11-12-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I just provided the statistics. School system Philadelphia is slightly better. Colleges/universities they're about equal although Philadelphia has the best University out of the two in Penn. DC is slightly wealthier but Philadelphia isn't far behind, and to say there is no wealth in Philadelphia area is a joke.
The number one school in the country.... Thomas Jefferson High school science and technology. Ranked #1 in the nation for the past couple of years. Also fairfax county has the highest SAT scores as a whole county in the whole country. The stats you showed ranked Virginia above Pennsylvania. And when they mean Virginia, they're talking about Northerm Virginia. Remember earlier how I said DC public schools were complete crap well yes they are and Philadelphia is better in my opinion. But when you factor in the whole metro area, because you stated Philadelphia's metro area is better than DC's metro area. DC metro area beats Philadelphia's metro area k-12.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:23 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
The Mid-Atlantic's Most Expensive Urban Condos

Washington DC area
Parc Somerset
Friendship Heights, MD
Highest price for unit: $8.65 million

Philadelphia area
1706 Rittenhouse
Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia
Highest price or unit: $12.459 million

Urban Mid-Atlantic: The Mid-Atlantic's Most Expensive Urban Condos

No offense to you, but in RE, you have to look at price per foot if you're making a $$$$ comparison.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Well my original point was KOP has no one mall equal to it in the DC area. If you want to combine two malls to compete with it, then sure, you can do that!

And Mall of America just has a freaking rollercoaster inside lol, but in terms of actual stores? No, there is no mall better than KOP when it comes to just retail.
Tysons is one mall. It says it on the website.... Do you not see the Tysons in both galleria and corner?! or was it just a coincidence that they have the same name. Lol it's one mall, you're not getting it.

But it's obvious your opinion is biased. I have no problem saying they're equal instead of saying KOP can't match Tysons which is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City