Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

How prevalent is Central Asian cuisine (i.e. Kyrgyz, Kazakh, etc) food in various cities? I know that Chicago and NYC have a fair amount each, but what about LA, Houston, Dallas, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
And Beverly Hills most likely.
Shamshiri Grill is amazing. Probably my favorite place and yes, it's in Westwood. The plates are enormous too. The plates can at times feed up to 3 people depending on how hungry everyone is of course.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I wish we had Indonesian food here, I get my fill when I am in London though. Plus there is one place in Portsmouth, NH nearby that is decent. It is a major hole in the Boston dining scene though.

Indonesia and Malaysian food is great. Way underrated in the US...

Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Malaysian food is probably going to be an American fad eventually, whenever it is that Americans start holding their own on spicy foods.

It's nothing personal.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-20-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Malaysian food is probably going to be an American fad eventually, whenever it is that Americans start holding their own on spicy foods.

It's nothing personal but everywhere in America I've lived in, it's pathetic where people draw their lines on "too spicy", I could see people liking Malaysian food a lot actually if variety is their thing, when they can build up their tolerance.
Yeah, but Malaysian food is varied and not all of it is spicy. My Malaysian ex girlfriend and her friends introduced me to the cuisine and actually she couldn't handle anything very spicy but had no trouble loving her cuisine. I traveled to Malaysia and Singapore just over a year ago and the food in Malaysia was ridiculously amazing (and better than Singapore). I've introduced some people to it since and a few of my family/friends have traveled to Malaysia and now realize it's one of the world's greatest cuisines. Best food I've had in any of my travels for sure (for regional/national cuisine, that is). The best Indian and Chinese food I've had anywhere in the world (I haven't been to India or China yet though) was in Malaysia. I tell my friends here all the time that if most of the US only knew about true Malaysian food, there would be a lot of Malaysian restaurants in every major city just like how Thai food is. IMO it's better than Thai food.

I also think it's lame for what people can't handle with spice, but I think it's more complicated than that.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:45 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, but Malaysian food is varied and not all of it is spicy. My Malaysian ex girlfriend and her friends introduced me to the cuisine and actually she couldn't handle anything very spicy but had no trouble loving her cuisine. I traveled to Malaysia and Singapore just over a year ago and the food in Malaysia was ridiculously amazing (and better than Singapore). I've introduced some people to it since and a few of my family/friends have traveled to Malaysia and now realize it's one of the world's greatest cuisines. Best food I've had in any of my travels for sure (for regional/national cuisine, that is). The best Indian and Chinese food I've had anywhere in the world (I haven't been to India or China yet though) was in Malaysia. I tell my friends here all the time that if most of the US only knew about true Malaysian food, there would be a lot of Malaysian restaurants in every major city just like how Thai food is. IMO it's better than Thai food.

I also think it's lame for what people can't handle with spice, but I think it's more complicated than that.
All of them are very different and have different strengths and weaknesses. All of Southeast Asia is basically a hybrid mix of the Indo (Indian) and Sino (East Asia) spheres. The closer you are to India (Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand) the more you'll notice subtle but very precise Indo influences; consequently the closer you are to East Asia (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand) the more Sino influences. Where they converge is all countries having influences from both. It's all a preference thing.

As for Malaysia versus Singapore, they're pretty different. Food culture is pretty rampant in Singapore, the city is legitimately the gateway and capital of all of Southeast Asia, it attracts the best and brightest from all the neighboring countries and from various places all over the world. It's also a city-state, where everything, all produce, spices, herbs are imported from other countries. Then the city's food fuses all the cultures of people there and puts it all together. The street food scene in Singapore is pretty over the chart. Malaysia is a great place for all in Malaysian food, if you can develop a niche to where that's your favorite food then Malaysia as a foodie, would be heaven on Earth for that person. However, I like the option of cultural fusion foods and sheer variety supported by both quantity and quality, of a big time foodie city.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:48 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
You guys got me looking up Malaysian food in Philly-I'm hungry haha.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
As for Malaysia versus Singapore, they're pretty different. Food culture is pretty rampant in Singapore, the city is legitimately the gateway and capital of all of Southeast Asia, it attracts the best and brightest from all the neighboring countries and from various places all over the world. It's also a city-state, where everything, all produce, spices, herbs are imported from other countries. Then the city's food fuses all the cultures of people there and puts it all together. The street food scene in Singapore is pretty over the chart. Malaysia is a great place for all in Malaysian food, if you can develop a niche to where that's your favorite food then Malaysia as a foodie, would be heaven on Earth for that person. However, I like the option of cultural fusion foods and sheer variety supported by both quantity and quality, of a big time foodie city.
Singapore was an interesting place. It was cool and I liked it, but I liked Kuala Lumpur more. Singapore seemed too sterile in too many places to be honest. Malaysia does offer variety though it's not going to be like in American cities. While I was there and being taken around, I spotted Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Italian, Portuguese, Greek, and American food. There's actually a number of places that serve good burgers there including the famous Ramly Burger. McDonald's is actually EXTREMELY popular there and more than just for the unique items on the menu. My ex told me that teenagers actually hang out at McDonald's for hours even playing board games there. She was always wanting it after a night of drinking too. I know there's more, but regardless if you are someone who loves food, then Malaysian food is a must.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Indonesia and Malaysian food is great. Way underrated in the US...
Agreed. I am happy we have a few Malay places here, but its measures up very poorly to what I ate in Singapore, but that pretty much stands for most "ethnic" foods once they are transported to the US and Canada.

I cant understand why the one Indonesian place we had here closed down, people have no idea what they are missing.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Agreed. I am happy we have a few Malay places here, but its measures up very poorly to what I ate in Singapore, but that pretty much stands for most "ethnic" foods once they are transported to the US and Canada.

I cant understand why the one Indonesian place we had here closed down, people have no idea what they are missing.
Yeah, and the food I ate in Singapore measured up poorly to what I had in Kuala Lumpur and northern Malaysia. Food for thought There's an Indonesian place here in Chicago - actually the owners moved from Boston to open it up with their son who was living here already. It's good, but if you've had the real thing then it's eh. Beautiful restaurant inside though. There's supposed to be another Indonesian place coming nearby it this summer or fall too. There used to be one up in Little India (Devon) but it closed down during the whole economic BS thing a few years ago.

There was a 100% Malaysian restaurant in the city too, but it burned down a few years ago and never rebuilt. There's a few Asian restaurants that will offer various Malaysian dishes but not 100% full on Malaysian restaurant. There's a small handful in the suburbs though - their appetizers are actually pretty good, but their entrees are usually just OK (but not bad) compared to the real thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City