Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:00 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Besides progressivism and being capitals of their respective states, I just don't see it. Raleigh feels almost pressure-washed relative to Atlanta, even moreso than Charlotte.

Whenever people speak about Birmingham, they're usually referring to areas north of Red Mountain and along I-20. I just can't imagine someone thoroughly familiar with the Birmingham area, particularly south Bham, coming to the conclusion that Raleigh is closer in feel to Atlanta.

Atlanta seems far more gritty, and "lived-in" relative to Raleigh. It's the type of place where one may easily find themselves involved in voluntary mischief- similar to New Orleans in that regard. Raleigh strikes me as the polar opposite; even the hood was rather PG-13 in appearance to me.

To put it another way, I can't imagine Freaknik having taken place in Raleigh!
Maybe nitb Raeigh but Durham for sure.Atlanta is similar to Birmingham but certain parts like Decatur and Druid Hills areas are similar to Raleigh
B
There are some georgraphic similaries to Birmingham as well as some cultural traits like all over the South but overall Charlotte and Atlanta share mre similarieties thanthe rest by far.

Although Charlotte is certain less progressive or liberal than Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Gwinnett County in particular reminds me of the Raleigh suburbs, along with Decatur and Druid Hills.

Some of the grittier areas of Atlanta are probably more similar to Birmingham or Durham.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:11 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
NC population is distribute the same way as GA. the major difference between North Carolina and Georgia is North Carolina is turned side ways.

But the error people are not getting that NC 3 major metro neighbor each other, Charlotte - Raleigh is a small part of the state............. If you can say "out side of Atlanta" you can say "out side of Charlotte - Raleigh" Outside of Charlotte - Raleigh the state culture is very similar in GA outside of Atlanta. Nobody is thinking about the small NC towns and cities that reflect southern culture. I even post a map of the black belt to show demographically NC is similar to GA.

Charlotte CSA 2,493,040
Greensboro CSA 1,619,313
Raleigh CSA 2,037,430
Total Piedmont Crescent 6,149,783 ............ This tiny area of NC is 60% of entire state of NC just like ATL is 60% of GA

The area is not much better than Atlanta by itself. Inside the red lines is like Atlanta outsides those redlines, NC is like GA outside of Atlanta.

Atlanta CSA 6,162,195
There's a difference here geographically. The Piedmont Crescent is a bit more central to NC, whereas Atlanta is in the southern part of north Georgia and is farther away from a nice chunk of south Georgia. Also, there are a few more urban clusters in eastern and western NC than there are in south Georgia. The sizes of both states really do make a difference here, as GA is 9K sq mi larger than NC. So the Piedmont Crescent comprising 60% of NC looks quite a bit different than Atlanta comprising 60% of GA.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's a difference here geographically. The Piedmont Crescent is a bit more central to NC, whereas Atlanta is in the southern part of north Georgia and is farther away from a nice chunk of south Georgia. Also, there are a few more urban clusters in eastern and western NC than there are in south Georgia. The sizes of both states really do make a difference here, as GA is 9K sq mi larger than NC. So the Piedmont Crescent comprising 60% of NC looks quite a bit different than Atlanta comprising 60% of GA.
True but they are relatively in the same area in terms of state sizes.

So the Piedmont Crescent comprising 60% of NC is much like Atlanta comprising 60% of GA. The error is because they're separate CSA's. People over look they're neighboring. NC's major metros are not distribute across the state like TX, FL, OH and TN. They are centralize together.

Also I was being general to point of the flaw of trying to separate the Greater Atlanta CSA from GA, when NC's large Metros form a Conurbation. Earlier someone compare Atlanta and GA to Denver and CO, and Chicago to IL. And that is just too far.

But anyway you to look at, the Piedmont Crescent comprising 60% of NC is much like Atlanta comprising 60% of GA both being 6 million make NC and GA closer than AL is with GA. Especially when both states are nearly 10 million. It's sort weird.

both NC and GA without there large metro just 40% of there state population is comparable to AL total population. So you can't say with out their large metros there's nothing there because both have many midsize metros.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Gwinnett County in particular reminds me of the Raleigh suburbs, along with Decatur and Druid Hills.

Some of the grittier areas of Atlanta are probably more similar to Birmingham or Durham.
this is true too,

Old 04-04-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
True but they are relatively in the same area in terms of state sizes.
But 9K is a nice-sized difference; that's larger than my current state, NJ, and seven other states. It's really not a small difference.

Quote:
So the Piedmont Crescent comprising 60% of NC is much like Atlanta comprising 60% of GA. The error is because they're separate CSA's. People over look they're neighboring. NC's major metros are not distribute across the state like TX, FL, OH and TN. They are centralize together.
They are neighboring, but they are stretched out over a longer distance and are more centralized within the state, whereas Atlanta is a huge cluster in the northern part of the state. Driving between all three metros, which I've done many times, actually feels like driving through three metros; there are big breaks in development between the three and it takes a good while to make that drive. The orientation of the Piedmont Crescent and metro Atlanta is what makes the difference, as well as the size difference. I also think having three midsized metros in NC as opposed to one very big metro in GA has made all the difference politically, considering the history of both states as well.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
But 9K is a nice-sized difference; that's larger than my current state, NJ, and seven other states. It's really not a small difference.
NJ is Tiny, NJ is the 3rd smallest state but Georgia is closer to NC or even NJ size, or generally most states east of Mississippi size than it is most states West of Mississippi. They Generally the same size, it's not like were comparing NC to Oregon 40k or Minnesota 35k something difference. Plus NJ is the densest state, no area around NC can be added to gain 8 million. The most than be added to NC if given than area is less than 2 million which would still make NC and GA in the same ball park. Beside Michigan NC would still be the closet state in area and population to GA if you added 9k sq mi.

Quote:
They are neighboring, but they are stretched out over a longer distance and are more centralized within the state, whereas Atlanta is a huge cluster in the northern part of the state. Driving between all three metros, which I've done many times, actually feels like driving through three metros; there are big breaks in development between the three and it takes a good while to make that drive. The orientation of the Piedmont Crescent and metro Atlanta is what makes the difference, as well as the size difference. I also think having three midsized metros in NC as opposed to one very big metro in GA has made all the difference politically, considering the history of both states as well.
They are neighboring in a Crescent they don't take up the whole Piedmont area. Atlanta CSA is 80% the size the Piedmont Crescent.

I never said GA and NC where the same their obvious difference, but the fact 60% of there population is centralize in a small area on their Piedmont region is a common. No other states do that it's weird that NC and GA both do it. NC isn't much more progressive on Social issues, today NC is a little more progressive on infrastructure GA does have more city vs country attitude. But with that said GA still politically on both issues is closer to NC than AL.

I know a lot about NC, I used to live their. I believe we both lived in both states. But me also living in Texas and Chicago, and visiting family in AL, MS, and TN gives perspective how much they have in common by being south Atlantic states.

I was about to post google earth pics of Memphis, Dallas, Richmond and Nashville and Show how much Raleigh and Charlotte have in common with Atlanta's layout, architecture, topography and forestation. but got lazy tbh. I think GA does have a lot in common with AL too but North GA, GA Coast, modern Metro Atlanta has more in common with NC. Besides ATL It's much more a east vs west GA not north vs South GA in the AL vs NC comparison.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
NJ is Tiny, NJ is the 3rd smallest state but Georgia is closer to NC or even NJ size, or generally most states east of Mississippi size than it is most states West of Mississippi. They Generally the same size, it's not like were comparing NC to Oregon 40k or Minnesota 35k something difference. Plus NJ is the densest state, no area around NC can be added to gain 8 million. The most than be added to NC if given than area is less than 2 million which would still make NC and GA in the same ball park. Beside Michigan NC would still be the closet state in area and population to GA if you added 9k sq mi.
NJ isn't tiny; it's not Rhode Island. It's not big either, but it's home to 9 million people. That gives you an idea of the size difference between NC and GA; even more important than that are the way both states are shaped and again, how their largest metros are oriented within those states.

Quote:
They are neighboring in a Crescent they don't take up the whole Piedmont area. Atlanta CSA is 80% the size the Piedmont Crescent.

I never said GA and NC where the same their obvious difference, but the fact 60% of there population is centralize in a small area on their Piedmont region is a common. No other states do that it's weird that NC and GA both do it. NC isn't much more progressive on Social issues, today NC is a little more progressive on infrastructure GA does have more city vs country attitude. But with that said GA still politically on both issues is closer to NC than AL.
60% of their population being in the Piedmont of both states is definitely a commonality, but it's not exactly the same type of set-up in both states. There are vast swaths of land in south Georgia that are the definition of rural and nowhere near Atlanta; this is less true for eastern and western NC and their proximity to one of the PC metros. And things have definitely changed politically in NC since the GOP took over, but historically, NC has definitely been more moderate and more friendly towards its urban areas than GA. Not only is this because NC has more urban areas, but also because there isn't such a stark urban/suburban divide in its largest metros areas like there is in Atlanta. In that respect, Atlanta is actually more like Birmingham than like Charlotte, the Triangle, or the Triad.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:33 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Maybe nitb Raeigh but Durham for sure.Atlanta is similar to Birmingham but certain parts like Decatur and Druid Hills areas are similar to Raleigh
B
There are some georgraphic similaries to Birmingham as well as some cultural traits like all over the South but overall Charlotte and Atlanta share mre similarieties thanthe rest by far.

Although Charlotte is certain less progressive or liberal than Atlanta
Which areas of Raleigh do you find similar to Decatur? More specifically, which areas seem more similar than Homewood AL?

Homewood is essentially Birmingham's version of Decatur, even closer to downtown than Decatur is.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
NJ isn't tiny; it's not Rhode Island. It's not big either, but it's home to 9 million people. That gives you an idea of the size difference between NC and GA; even more important than that are the way both states are shaped and again, how their largest metros are oriented within those states.
But that meaninglessly when adding 9k sq mi to NC at any point wont to give you 9 million, it's will be less than 2 million if Norfolk added, any where else it's probably less than million. Which actually would work against your point and make mines more.

In terms of state sizes NJ is small, CT is small, RI is small, DE is small. There are 50 states those states are tiny. GA and NC size difference is nothing term of size different even the smaller western states would show. GA and NC are both medium size states.

NJ density is 1,210.1

NC density is 202.6 sq mi
GA density is 173.7 sq mi

AL density 95 sq mi

Quote:
60% of their population being in the Piedmont of both states is definitely a commonality, but it's not exactly the same type of set-up in both states. There are vast swaths of land in south Georgia that are the definition of rural and nowhere near Atlanta; this is less true for eastern and western NC and their proximity to one of the PC metros. And things have definitely changed politically in NC since the GOP took over, but historically, NC has definitely been more moderate and more friendly towards its urban areas than GA. Not only is this because NC has more urban areas, but also because there isn't such a stark urban/suburban divide in its largest metros areas like there is in Atlanta. In that respect, Atlanta is actually more like Birmingham than like Charlotte, the Triangle, or the Triad.
That because GA in besides Macon..... Savannah, Augusta, and Columbus are on the bolder. This is not only different from NC but even more different from AL,

Also urban/suburban divide in GA is different AL. Atlanta is over 4x larger than Birmingham and make 60% of the state. Birmingham is a little than 25% of AL. AL should be more politically balance. Which highlights the political cultural is generally different. Again I never said NC and GA are twins but they do have a lot similarity relatively being South Atlantic states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City