Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:21 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Man new2colo, what the heck's up with the ageism and anti Mormon rhetoric? I'm not Mormon but all the ones I know have impeccably kept and manicured yards, well behaved kids and are entrepreneurial types. You should really open your mind and get to know a few, they're really good people. All the heavily Mormon neighborhoods in the Phoenix area also have top rated schools so that's a huge plus. I'd certainly rather have Mormon neighbors than the thug life types.
I was the poster who originally brought up the fact that the Phoenix area is home to a lot of Mormons and retirees. While, I don't have anything against either demographics, I might point your attention back to the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
I need to make up my mind where I'm moving.

About me:
Turning 21
From Michigan
Bartender, looking for great bar scene
Going to college

I'm looking for a great bar scene, things to do, warm weather, nice people
The OP is twenty-one and likes to drink. Generally speaking, people like this don't have all that much in common with senior citizens and Mormons.

Yeah, I know that ASU has a big drinking culture. Yes, I know there are plenty of atheists in the Valley. Yeah, I know plenty old folks who like to rock. Yeah, I know than many Mormons are gracious hosts (growing up in Arizona, I've been offered plenty of freezy pops and jello over the years). Yeah, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. I just brought up those demographic characteristics in a long list of reasons why, from my experience, I believe the OP would be happier in California.

And, by the way, I don't care if my neighbors are Mormons or "thug life types," as long as they don't judge me and how I live my life because I'm not going to judge how they're living theirs.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 04-26-2015 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 PM

273 posts, read 349,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I was the poster who originally brought up the fact that the Phoenix area is home to a lot of Mormons and retirees. While, I don't have anything against either demographics, I might point your attention back to the original post:

The OP is twenty-one and likes to drink. Generally speaking, people like this don't have all that much in common with senior citizens and Mormons.

Yeah, I know that ASU has a big drinking culture. Yes, I know there are plenty of atheists in the Valley. Yeah, I know plenty old folks who like to rock. Yeah, I know than many Mormons are gracious hosts (growing up in Arizona, I've been offered plenty of freezy pops and jello over the years). Yeah, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. I just brought up those demographic characteristics in a long list of reasons why, from my experience, I believe the OP would be happier in California.

And, by the way, I don't care if my neighbors are Mormons or "thug life types," as long as they don't judge me and how I live my life because I'm not going to judge how they're living theirs.
You make a few valid points but keep in mind PHX metro has a median age below the national average so this whole notion that PHX is exclusively or predominantly senior citizen is an absolute misnomer. Sure, Phoenix has several senior citizen enclaves like the Sun Cities, Sun Lakes and Fountain Hills but it also has several hotspots for younger people like Tempe, Old Town Scottsdale and downtown Phoenix.

Mormons are one of the youngest demographic groups in the country so if you're in the western United States the odds are you're going to meet many young adults who are Mormon. Not all Mormons are alike, there are secular minded Mormons who hit the bars and clubs on a regular basis though most keep it on the DL

Old 04-27-2015, 03:23 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Subjective? Perhaps if you were speaking solely about yourself, but you weren't. You were making faulty assumptions about how most people think and feel about Phoenix as if you would even know such a thing. You stated, "Why can't you just accept that most people don't think highly of Phoenix? If you like it. Fine. Many people find the city dull and unlivable, especially compared to a place like San Diego. What's funny is that many people in Phoenix would probably prefer to live in San Diego themselves. Most just can't afford it or have some aversion to living in the state of California. That doesn't stop people from trying to make Phoenix look like it's an extension of Southern California in the process." I see you corrected yourself in your last post by changing that to most people you have encountered.

I couldn't care less whether you or anyone else likes Phoenix. It's not for everyone and is far from perfect in my opinion. Furthermore, I never said Phoenix wasn't a transient place. In fact, I admitted that it was. In addition, I never said I didn't like San Diego when the truth is that I love the city and I happen to be one of those residents who flocks there each year. Lastly, I specifically said that it is not my goal to boost Phoenix, but discount ridiculous posts by ridiculous posters who believe they can speak on behalf on hundreds, thousands, or millions of other people/residents/nonresidents as well as those who aren't residents and claim to know more about the city than the residents who live there. The fact that I have to rehash this in another post to you is rather annoying.
Again, you're trying to argue with the opinions of others and calling them "faulty" assumptions. If someone says something is boring, you can't accuse them of having faulty assumptions just because you don't agree. I could understand if these were people who had never experienced Phoenix before and just assumed it to be boring based off of no facts at all. however, everyone you've replied to has experience with the place. So, no one is really assuming anything at all. It's based off of personal experience.

I didn't "correct" anything. Most people I have encounterd feel that way about Phoenix. Many people 8to32 encountered felt the same way.

Yeah, you obviously do care what people think about Phoenix. You're arguing against people's opinions, which shows that you think you have to defend this place against all naysayers. What are you trying to achieve? An objective view of Phoenix? Not going to happen. Cities elicit a very subjective response from people. You are not going to boost Phoenix by bursting out into a tantrum. Respect that everyone has their own opinion and move on. Your endless diatribes to everyone with a less than ideal view of Phoenix is annoying as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Man new2colo, what the heck's up with the ageism and anti Mormon rhetoric? I'm not Mormon but all the ones I know have impeccably kept and manicured yards, well behaved kids and are entrepreneurial types. You should really open your mind and get to know a few, they're really good people. All the heavily Mormon neighborhoods in the Phoenix area also have top rated schools so that's a huge plus. I'd certainly rather have Mormon neighbors than the thug life types.
Really? My statement that there are pockets of the Valley that are heavily Mormon and have high senior populations is offensive? There really is no need to be that sensitive. I said nothing disparaging about elderly people or Mormons.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Again, you're trying to argue with the opinions of others and calling them "faulty" assumptions. If someone says something is boring, you can't accuse them of having faulty assumptions just because you don't agree. I could understand if these were people who had never experienced Phoenix before and just assumed it to be boring based off of no facts at all. however, everyone you've replied to has experience with the place. So, no one is really assuming anything at all. It's based off of personal experience.

I didn't "correct" anything. Most people I have encounterd feel that way about Phoenix. Many people 8to32 encountered felt the same way.

Yeah, you obviously do care what people think about Phoenix. You're arguing against people's opinions, which shows that you think you have to defend this place against all naysayers. What are you trying to achieve? An objective view of Phoenix? Not going to happen. Cities elicit a very subjective response from people. You are not going to boost Phoenix by bursting out into a tantrum. Respect that everyone has their own opinion and move on. Your endless diatribes to everyone with a less than ideal view of Phoenix is annoying as well.

Really? My statement that there are pockets of the Valley that are heavily Mormon and have high senior populations is offensive? There really is no need to be that sensitive. I said nothing disparaging about elderly people or Mormons.
I am not arguing against people's opinions nor their own personal experiences, if they truly exist. I am arguing against people's assumed "truths" of what millions of other people think and believe. There is no possible way for you to know the thoughts and feelings of so many other people. Furthermore, I find it appalling that you claim I am "bursting out into a tantrum" when you keep returning to stir the pot. Seriously....I've pretty much had enough of you.

Last edited by AZLiam; 04-27-2015 at 09:14 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 09:04 PM

34 posts, read 62,735 times
San Diego by a landslide. . .

Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 7,761 times
Hi. I am wondering if anyone can give me tips here - I have informally been offered a job in San Diego (haven't received the formal written offer yet) and am contemplating a move from Phoenix to San Diego. I came to Phoenix several years ago for a job and it isn't what I had hoped it would be. I had visited here many times before and loved it - but living here is quite a different story. But forget about that. I am wondering what neighborhoods might I be able to rent in on a shoestring until I become more established in the area - assuming I do take the job?

I grew up not far from the beach on LI and miss the ocean tremendously! However, I know I won't be able to afford rents very close to the ocean and don't mind a 20-30 minute drive to get there. I am single - two cats. Thinking I might need to have a roomate or something to be able to afford a nice neighborhood without using all of my money on rent. I am wondering if it would be just a dream to think of one day owning (condo)? I am in the medical field and it pays aabout $35/hour I am told - but may not be a full 40 hour week. So, would be looking to supplement my income with some kind of side income producing project(s).

Please post any thoughts if you've lived in San Diego. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattischu View Post
Hi. I am wondering if anyone can give me tips here - I have informally been offered a job in San Diego (haven't received the formal written offer yet) and am contemplating a move from Phoenix to San Diego. I came to Phoenix several years ago for a job and it isn't what I had hoped it would be. I had visited here many times before and loved it - but living here is quite a different story. But forget about that. I am wondering what neighborhoods might I be able to rent in on a shoestring until I become more established in the area - assuming I do take the job?

I grew up not far from the beach on LI and miss the ocean tremendously! However, I know I won't be able to afford rents very close to the ocean and don't mind a 20-30 minute drive to get there. I am single - two cats. Thinking I might need to have a roomate or something to be able to afford a nice neighborhood without using all of my money on rent. I am wondering if it would be just a dream to think of one day owning (condo)? I am in the medical field and it pays aabout $35/hour I am told - but may not be a full 40 hour week. So, would be looking to supplement my income with some kind of side income producing project(s).

Please post any thoughts if you've lived in San Diego. Thanks!
You should probably post this in the SD forum not a comparison page on the C vs C page. Living anywhere near San Diego on a cheap budget will be difficult. And this is one of the reasons more people don't live there, the benefits don't outweigh the costs.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:48 PM

828 posts, read 691,234 times
There really is no comparison between San Diego and Phoenix. San Diego is on another level in nearly every category.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
As a complete urban snob and thinking that Phoenix had absolutely nothing to offer I will say that after a few visits it is much better than many folks give it credit for. Also as a long term resident of San Diego with a knowledge better than peripheral experiences I feel I can chime in here. LOVE my city, but we are middle aged, (not that we don't party haha) settled professionals who bought in over 20 years ago and I think Phoenix has much more to offer for a financially constrained young person. Stick to North Central if you can and you can find that small slice within a (somewhat) overall bland sunbelt city that evokes a bit more of a slightly vibrant and happening urban vibe. You've got the Vig (one of several), The Yard, and some fun dive bars around and not completely surrounded by beige stucco developments. Phoenix has also got baseball- spring training!, basketball, hockey- plenty of young folks in its many universities. The downtown is slowly coming together and fun areas abound for hiking and partying nearby- Scottsdale, Tempe

SD, while a fine city, is so much more expensive and harder to establish a niche in, it's simply not worth it for most young kids your age trying to find a place to make some bucks and connections for the future. It's not to say you can't make it here, it's just that much more difficult.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:47 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
As a complete urban snob and thinking that Phoenix had absolutely nothing to offer I will say that after a few visits it is much better than many folks give it credit for. Also as a long term resident of San Diego with a knowledge better than peripheral experiences I feel I can chime in here. LOVE my city, but we are middle aged, (not that we don't party haha) settled professionals who bought in over 20 years ago and I think Phoenix has much more to offer for a financially constrained young person. Stick to North Central if you can and you can find that small slice within a (somewhat) overall bland sunbelt city that evokes a bit more of a slightly vibrant and happening urban vibe. You've got the Vig (one of several), The Yard, and some fun dive bars around and not completely surrounded by beige stucco developments. Phoenix has also got baseball- spring training!, basketball, hockey- plenty of young folks in its many universities. The downtown is slowly coming together and fun areas abound for hiking and partying nearby- Scottsdale, Tempe

SD, while a fine city, is so much more expensive and harder to establish a niche in, it's simply not worth it for most young kids your age trying to find a place to make some bucks and connections for the future. It's not to say you can't make it here, it's just that much more difficult.
Awesome post, you nailed it perfectly. In addition to downtown Phoenix the valley also offers downtown Tempe and Scottsdale which both over many urban settings in older sections of town that are far from cookie cutter. Downtown Phoenix has new apartments popping up left and right along with grocery stores going in, tons of independent restaraunts beyond just the Vig (which is great), more live music venues to add to the dozen or so already there and one great/established arts district and another that's coming up. Since Phoenix is a relative newcomer it's still affordable compared to cities like San Diego that are more established and almost impossible to get into.

I love visiting San Diego but feel exactly as you stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City