Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:37 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
In Birmingham's case add years of poor leadership and a population the sees growth as something terrible.
Birmingham and Memphis were both big industrial cities before the sunbelt boom. They went into decline during suburbanization the way northern cities did. It's one of those details often not mentioned when discussing sunbelt cities and their growth. New Orleans is similar, it being a big party draw helps its reputation a lot, but it has gone through the same pop decline and crime struggles the other two have. Most sunbelt cities grew up around the automobile post industrial, and don't have the urban bones like Memphis and Bham. In the future that could work against them.

Aside from that the majority of sunbelt influx is by the uneducated workforce from the north which could also pose long term economic problems. These are things not often considered when people want to drool over sunbelt growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 11:43 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
That fits the case with Little Rock. In state competition would be the Fayetteville area that has a lot of growth. There was high crime in the '90s and that got national attention and Arkansas is often overlooked and has a negative image anyway. Throw in mistakes and missed opportunities. FedEx actually started in Little Rock and only moved to Memphis after Little Rock wouldn't make changes to accommodate their planes. Keeping it would have made a huge difference for the city.
It's amazing that twenty years later so many still associate Little Rock with that '90s documentary about their crime problem. I also agree that Little Rock would be a completely different place today if it would have kept FedEx. It would have had the economic clout of Memphis but without some of the negatives. Today the city has a pretty stable economy but there is no dominant industry or catalyst to really drive growth.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Pretty much the cities you mention. Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Memphis, and Birmingham. Pretty much all of those cities have negative perceptions or quality of life issues that make them less desirable.
I'd argue that much of the South had a negative QOL perception for a long time, until the last couple of decades, that is. So to me, that doesn't necessarily explain how OKC, Birmingham and the gang somehow missed out on the spike in growth. My guess would include where a.) colleges are, and b.) where jobs were most plentiful.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:47 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr to okc View Post
I have no bias towards okc I live here but the people here feel they missed the boom they want Austin type growth.
Geez....why would you WANT Austin-level growth?! Denver, Seattle, even Atlanta I can see, but not the rate Austin is growing, which seems to be paralyzing the city's infrastructure and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City