Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 08:43 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I guess it does attest to the type of music I listen to haha. I'm very big into the electronic music scene. Large touring bands that top the charts will go to Indy, Louisville, Cincy, a combo of the three, or all three. But many of the electronic artists I listen to will hit up cities like LA, SF, SD, Chicago, NYC, Miami, Houston, and other similarly large cities. Then, randomly, Bloomington will be thrown in the mix and sometimes Urbana-Champaign in IL too. They'll be at local bars and clubs catering to the college crowds. I'm not sure if these artists ever go through any other city in Indiana besides Indy. It seems to be either Indy or Bloomington if an electronic artist goes through the state. Often the closest venues for me in Louisville are Nashville and Cincy, Bloomington and Indy next, and we get the rare electronic artist in Louisville. I don't really keep up much on other types of music though. But is there another state in Indiana that gets quite a few touring musicians? I know Evansville doesn't even though it is the larger city of Southern Indiana. Does Fort Wayne or South Bend ever get shows of any genre regularly coming through?

^^^That means nothing. "EDM" acts hit up all the big colleges. It doesn't make Bloomington any more special than Ann Arbor, Gainesville or Tallahassee, Oxford, Berkeley, Amherst, College Station, etc etc. Any act that is a huge drug draw will go where there is a larger critical mass of young people who do drugs. Count Phish and other jam bands in there too as groups that hit up college towns and music festivals more than they go to venues in cities.

Britney Spears or Pearl Jam would never skip over Indy for Bloomington. Whether you in particular listen to either is irrelevant. Far more people pay to go see a Britney concert than Martin Garrix. Fewer people go to a Britney concert and roll and look for after parties than people who go see Martin Garrix.

I personally have no desire to see either. For the record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No need to be jealous. San Francisco is an Alpha City. No go and cry.
Erhm,

According to GaWC, you're Alpha -. Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe go cry to them. In fact, it looks you dropped 5 spots in the ratings in 2014.

Quote:
Like I said:[b][i]
This is where you need to take your meds Monty. The only time I care for your opinions is when I ask you how much money it will take for you to clean my house

Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
I guess it does attest to the type of music I listen to haha. I'm very big into the electronic music scene. Large touring bands that top the charts will go to Indy, Louisville, Cincy, a combo of the three, or all three. But many of the electronic artists I listen to will hit up cities like LA, SF, SD, Chicago, NYC, Miami, Houston, and other similarly large cities. Then, randomly, Bloomington will be thrown in the mix and sometimes Urbana-Champaign in IL too. They'll be at local bars and clubs catering to the college crowds. I'm not sure if these artists ever go through any other city in Indiana besides Indy. It seems to be either Indy or Bloomington if an electronic artist goes through the state. Often the closest venues for me in Louisville are Nashville and Cincy, Bloomington and Indy next, and we get the rare electronic artist in Louisville. I don't really keep up much on other types of music though. But is there another state in Indiana that gets quite a few touring musicians? I know Evansville doesn't even though it is the larger city of Southern Indiana. Does Fort Wayne or South Bend ever get shows of any genre regularly coming through?
It must, because Louisville has a huge indie/punk scene that punches way above its belt. Bands in those genres probably skip over it occasionally when they are on smaller-scale tours, but I doubt they do so in favor of Bloomington. But who knows, maybe they do.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Erhm,

According to GaWC, you're Alpha -. Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe go cry to them. In fact, it looks you dropped 5 spots in the ratings in 2014.

This is where you need to take your meds Monty. The only time I care for your opinions is when I ask you how much money it will take for you to clean my house
haha I'll do it for free and write it off for my taxes. After all, Im always looking for charitable causes to support.

In the meantime, this remains pretty solid:

The point is, SF leads the state in so many
criteria that is supposed to be characteristic
of the undisputed FIRST place city, that it
clearly demonstrates that SF proves itself
as an Alpha City and therefore is not really
secondary, it cant be.

LA and SF may be perceived one way by
Turks and Hungarians( lol), but this thread
is about the situation WITHIN CA.

And within California on April 20, 2015, I
see LA and SF at parity all things considered.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:13 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
haha I'll do it for free
Good, that's all I wanted to know from you

Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Good, that's all I wanted to know from you
Yes,.I like to help the less fortunate.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:01 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
In the case of Michigan, how many people are calling for Ann Arbor to be 2nd city over Grand Rapids?
To me, I have a hard time buying any city other than Grand Rapids being Michigan's "second" city. It has its own history and culture that stands in contrast to much of metro Detroit. Ann Arbor has definitely improved its profile through the years, but it's still kind of an elite college, research, and technology oasis as opposed to a huge player in the state culture.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:02 PM

211 posts, read 370,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
To me, I have a hard time buying any city other than Grand Rapids being Michigan's "second" city. It has its own history and culture that stands in contrast to much of metro Detroit. Ann Arbor has definitely improved its profile through the years, but it's still kind of an elite college, research, and technology oasis as opposed to a huge player in the state culture.
No matter how they try to slice it Ann arbor is part of metro detroit. Gr metro is a mil+ now they are firmly the second city in eveey aspect.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:26 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Having lived the greater majority of my life in South Bend I'm somewhat familiar with what comes through there. As far as the top chart or more well known bands both cities see a fair amount. South Bend has two decent sized clubs that regularly put on big name bands of the rock and pop genres. Fort Wayne has a venue that also regularly attracts the same types of bands. Both cities are the principal cities of their counties and routinely have large fairgrounds which also attract big names in rock and country. I'm not sure if they cater to or attract the electronic artists, but that's only because it's not my taste of music, so I don't follow. It being a college town with Bethel College, Notre Dame, and IUSB it may attract some groups who cater to the college scene more or less, but I couldn't tell you.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr to okc View Post
No matter how they try to slice it Ann arbor is part of metro detroit. Gr metro is a mil+ now they are firmly the second city in eveey aspect.
That's not entirely true. Ann Arbor is the principal city of its own Metropolitan area, however Ann Arbor is part of the Combined Statistical Area of Detroit, but it still maintains a very separate identity from Detroit, and definitely doesn't fall under Detroit suburb from what I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City