Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:48 AM

282 posts, read 350,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Wow that's new to me. Interesting.
Too bad its not true. Census keeps track of this information instead of relying on anecdotal data.

Born in Norway

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Minneapolis
4. Chicago

It's the same results for Denmark and Sweden.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-explorer.html

In terms of Norwegian ancestry, Minneapolis has the most claiming Norwegian ancestry:

http://www.fofweb.com/History/MainPr...y&WinType=Free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:49 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Too bad its not true. Census keeps track of this information instead of relying on anecdotal data.

Born in Norway

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Minneapolis
4. Chicago

It's the same results for Denmark and Sweden.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-explorer.html

In terms of Norwegian ancestry, Minneapolis has the most claiming Norwegian ancestry:

Facts On File History Database Center
Those links are old. This topic had me doing a quick google search just to see how many Norwegians live in Houston and the newer information seems to confirm Houston has a large and growing Norwegian population.

http://www.offshore-technology.com/f...world-4264607/

Old 04-29-2015, 06:26 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Those links are old. This topic had me doing a quick google search just to see how many Norwegians live in Houston and the newer information seems to confirm Houston has a large and growing Norwegian population.

Houston
I told him Houston is one of the most diverse cities in America. If the op wants a more laid back city with more room to breathe Houston is it.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:52 PM

282 posts, read 350,679 times
Quote:

Houston
Someone said that. There is no source to back this up. I can throw something out there too but it doesn't make it true.

Census is the official source when it comes to these things. And New York, Los Angeles and Minneapolis have the most Norweigan people.

And after some quick searching, there are tons of Norweigan expat groups in the same cities New York, Chicago, Minneapolis, Los Angeles but consistently zero in Houston. On InterNations.com (group for intl expats), again New York has the most Norwegian members. Are the Norwegians in Houston hiding from the internet and Census takers? If Houston had the biggest Norwegian population, surely they would would have more online representation.

http://norwegian.meetup.com

Hmmmm...interesting.

Last edited by UAE50; 04-29-2015 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Someone said that. There is no source to back this up. I can throw something out there too but it doesn't make it true.

Census is the official source when it comes to these things. And New York, Los Angeles and Minneapolis have the most Norweigan people.

And after some quick searching, there are tons of Norweigan expat groups in the same cities New York, Chicago, Minneapolis, Los Angeles but consistently zero in Houston. On InterNations.com (group for intl expats), again New York has the most Norwegian members. Are the Norwegians in Houston hiding from the internet and Census takers? If Houston had the biggest Norwegian population, surely they would would have more online representation.

http://norwegian.meetup.com

Hmmmm...interesting.
How updated are those census numbers that were posted here? Houston really started to explode with new growth over the past 5 years. I'd love to see how many people have moved here from Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark over the past few years.

Also interested in how many people from all over the world moved here in the past few years.

If anyone can post that data it would be great.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:07 PM

379 posts, read 468,357 times
Quote:
How updated are those census numbers that were posted here? Houston really started to explode with new growth over the past 5 years. I'd love to see how many people have moved here from Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark over the past few years.

Also interested in how many people from all over the world moved here in the past few years.

If anyone can post that data it would be great.

2013 Immigration from Norway:

Houston: 42
NY: 28
LA: 20
SF: 20

Source: http://www.dhs.gov/yearbook-immigrat...nent-residents

Last edited by mraza9; 04-30-2015 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: adding link

Old 04-30-2015, 01:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
I would chose Houston, no state tax and you can get a way nicer condo or house for your money than NYC with his cash flow. Texas is a nice state to live in as well, just my opinion on the matter. I love NYC to visit but not to live, too expensive and the taxes are too high.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:52 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,345 times
Quote:
I have never met a Scandinavian person in Houston. I know Scandinavians who work in our NYC offices though.
Houston, TX has the most native Norwegians outside of Scandinavia. More than Los Angeles. More than New York.

Houston and Norway have very intimate and bountiful connections.

offshore-technology.com
Houston

Old 05-25-2015, 02:05 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,345 times
Quote:

Norwegian Language Meetups - Meetup

Hmmmm...interesting.
Houston is on the list of expat cities on the Norwegian Chamber of Commerce website.
The Norwegian American Chamber of Commerce – Houston

Houston is one of only four US cities to have an established consular Norwegian presence. (Los Angeles is not one of them.)
Embassy and Consulates

Oh, and yes Houston has the largest number of expat Norwegians outside of Scandinavia.

technology-offshore.com
Houston

Old 05-25-2015, 09:21 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan NOR View Post
I thank you all for different inputs. I appreciate it.

I'm a very simple guy who don't have a lot of expenses except for the obvious ones (electricity, spotify, gym membership++). I have been talking with several friends about taxation in the two cities and the majority of them tell me that the extra 40k will be eaten up pretty fast in NYC.

I will bring between 110k and 130k ($) with me depending on how much i will get for my car before moving in late July. To be honest, i would like to buy my first home because with an older brother who works in finance, he have learned me how much money you lose by renting, even for small periods compared to buying.

1. Do you think it would be possible to buy in either NYC or Houston?

2. Will i manage fine as a 6'4 white norwegian? I always read on Fox, CNN, ABC, norwegian media++, that there is always some kind of racial tension in the states. This is one aspect of the american society that i'll never get. It's kind of heartbreaking to read about cases like Trayvon Martin, Ferguson unrest, O.J Simpsons and whatnot. I have visited USA 3 times in the past and it went well, but i'd imagine that it is different to actually live there as opposed to be on vacation, see amazing nature and museums, shop and eat.

3. As for politics and religious beliefs, is there something in particular that i should prepare myself for?

Again, thanks for all the helpful replies and sorry for my broken english.
It's okay. Your English is actually very good!

1. Yes, it's possible. Property is overall more expensive in NYC, but I don't think I'd worry too much about that on your salary.

2. I'm a black male who's lived in NYC, Texas, and Atlanta, and I haven't had to deal with racism. You should be fine in either city. There's a tendency for communities to self-segregate, which stands out a little more in NYC than in Houston, but I don't think most people are looking to cause racial strife and trouble. Personally, I think our unrestrained private media contributes to these stereotypes of a "racist America" by reporting in such a manner as to stoke fear and tension, subsequently driving up their ratings.

3. NYC is very liberal, as is the State of New York (I should actually say "progressive"; American liberalism is not the same as European liberalism). Financially, you'll most notice that in your paycheck in terms of taxes. The City of Houston leans left, but Texas proper is very, very conservative. Financially, that may benefit you as Texas has no state income tax, but you may be put off at times by quite a few of Texas's social policies on everything from abortion to the LGBT community. Texas is more gun- and business-friendly.

A few more notes:

1. Regardless of where you move, telecommunications tend to be much more expensive here than in most of Europe. That said, we don't have an equivalent to NRK in the United States, so you won't have to pay a television licence fee. Whether or not that's a good thing depends on your views on the value vs. cost of public broadcasting.

2. No national or state election uses a proportional system like Storting elections do. On one hand, it means that you won't hear talk of coalition or minority governments, leading to a perception that the political system here is more stable. On the other hand, our political system is essentially locked into a two-party system, which one could argue leads to the sidelining of alternative and non-mainstream political ideas.

3. Gasoline is much cheaper here.

- skbl17

Last edited by skbl17; 05-25-2015 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City