Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 04:49 PM

340 posts, read 609,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Also the people who claim "you have to speak Spanish" in El Paso have never been to El Paso. There's a gigantic military presence, and they sure as hell aren't speaking Spanish. The city is majority Mexican-American, but so is all of the Texas border country.

Just because someone came over from Mexico five generations ago doesn't mean they don't speak English. If anything, you will not hear more Spanish in El Paso than in LA or NYC, because El Paso is more a community of long-time Mexican Americans who are as all-American as anywhere else. Often their Spanish sucks. It would be like claiming that Italian-Americans in New Jersey are "all speaking Italian" just because their grandmother came over from Sicily. Absurd.
Actually, most jobs here, outside of the military, DO require a working knowledge of Spanish. And, yes, you absolutely will hear waaay more Spanish in El Paso than NYC! There are tons of people from Mexico here. More than a quarter of El Paso residents are foreign born - almost entirely in Latin America. Oh, and that does not include all of the undocumented Mexicans and Central Americans living here either. And then there are the thousands of people from Juarez who come here on a daily basis. And most Mexican-Americans in El Paso DO speak Spanish. Over 70 percent of households in El Paso county speak a foreign language in the home. Spanish is spoken in El Paso just as much as English.

Last edited by unnativeelpasoan; 05-17-2015 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Again, El Paso doesn't have hot summers, and is in fact cooler than Gary for half the day. You got caught with your ignorance, confusing El Paso with someplace like Phoenix. Then you posted random irrelevant things like average temps in the spring to "prove" that El Paso wasn't in fact cooler for half the day in the summer.

El Paso is in the mountains and does not get that hot, nor does it have humidity. In fact snow and cold weather is quite common. Winters can be harsh.

El Paso has summer nightly lows in the 70's, with zero humidity, and Gary has nightly lows in the high 70's with extreme humidity.

I have no idea what your posting of random high temps or average temps, especially outside the summer, has to do with the conversation. I never claimed that El Paso has lower averages or is cooler outside of summer.
Hell, yes, El Paso does have HOT summers! So what if it cools down at midnight, it it still HOT here in the summer. Not as hot as Pheonix, but 102 in the blazing sunshine, with no shade in sight is still HOT. Last summer we had like 30 days of temps over 100. And please spare us the BS about it not really feeling hot because of low (not "zero") humidity, because the blazing unfiltered sunlight and total lack of shade make it feel even hotter.

Also, cold and snow here is not what I would call "quite common". Winters here are not "harsh". Maybe twice a year there is a little snow here that melts by the afternoon. Give me a break.

Last edited by unnativeelpasoan; 05-17-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Yeah right. Thanks for proving that Internet listicles are crap.

I mean #5 in Wellness, with that nice picture of all those thin, healthy people? Honestly, I never saw so many obese people in my life until I moved here. Including lots of obese children, so... I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, it's just thst obesity (and Type 2 diabetes) is genuinely a really big issue here.

And, I'm sorry, but this not a great city for twenty-somethings. Not even kind of. Especially if they are young people who don't want to just get married and have kids by the time they're 25.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:55 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post

I mean #5 in Wellness, with that nice picture of all those thin, healthy people? Honestly, I never saw so many obese people in my life until I moved here. Including lots of obese children, so... I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, it's just thst obesity (and Type 2 diabetes) is genuinely a really big issue here.

And, I'm sorry, but this not a great city for twenty-somethings. Not even kind of. Especially if they are young people who don't want to just get married and have kids by the time they're 25.
A load of crap opinion.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:03 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Quote:

Even though I quoted the article, I would say that some of the points are likely false or manipulated facts but wouldn't doubt that most are true.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
El Paso is not all really that bad. It just needs a lot of improvement. The problem is, it is such a poor city, they can't really afford to fix it. This is why it looks really bad. Also, because it is the only democratic city in Texas, the state will not fund the city as much. Overall, the city relies on traffic ticket money and people's taxes to survive. For one, all of our roads need improvement. All of I-10 needs to be repaved as well as some other roads. These decaying buildings need to be torn down and something new built. El Paso is getting better, but it is taking a very long time, because it is a very slowly developing city. It will probably take 30-40 more years before El Paso is at the same level as Phoenix. Also, the city needs to hire workers to clean up garbage and clean the litter off the streets. It is not as filthy as New York City, but it comes really close. The air pollution is a problem, but it's not as bad as air pollution in Houston or in Dallas.
then why the heck would you compare and degrade El Paso in a heading of a thread where you compare it to a bad ghetto like Gary?

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-17-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Hell, yes, El Paso does have HOT summers! So what if it cools down at midnight, it it still HOT here in the summer. Not as hot as Pheonix, but 102 in the blazing sunshine, with no shade in sight is still HOT. Last summer we had like 30 days of temps over 100. And please spare us the BS about it not really feeling hot because of low (not "zero") humidity, because the blazing unfiltered sunlight and total lack of shade make it feel even hotter.

Also, cold and snow here is not what I would call "quite common". Winters here are not "harsh". Maybe twice a year there is a little snow here that melts by the afternoon. Give me a break.

If it's hot or not, is more a matter of personal opinion. For me,, couple of months of averaging in the upper 90's doesn't make it that hot and as an annual whole El Paso's climate is A+.
Climate El Paso - Texas and Weather averages El Paso

Old 05-18-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Ugh. You've got to be kidding me. That little write up is just stupid. The produce used for salsa here surely comes from California, not El Paso. Also, which salsa are they talking about? That Old El Paso stuff is made in Minnesota of all places... Also, Franklin Mountains State Park is just some very small, dry, craggy, dusty mountains covered in scrub brush, cacti, tarantulas and rattlesnakes. I mean, yeah, it is not a bad place to go hiking, but it is not what most people have in mind when they think "a park within the city". It's very misleading.
I am sure they knew about the salsa but its just what the public knows, the "Old El Paso" salsa brand and they took that and ran with it. They were trying to be a bit funny.

As far as the Franklin Mts., what do you expect in the desert? Acres of green grassy areas, flowers and tall trees?
The Franklins are fine but they could be a bit more developed for outdoor activities.

As far as the weather which you did not mention, El Paso's is indeed excellent.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-18-2015 at 06:55 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 07:24 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
No, you are lying. You claimed that Gary has "very nice areas" which is laughable. Please show us these "very nice areas" in Gary. Heck, show us one non-ghetto neighborhood, please.

Ah, so you have reading comprehension problems, and don't understands the terms "low" "average" and "summer". Oh, boy...

Again, El Paso doesn't have hot summers, and is in fact cooler than Gary for half the day. You got caught with your ignorance, confusing El Paso with someplace like Phoenix. Then you posted random irrelevant things like average temps in the spring to "prove" that El Paso wasn't in fact cooler for half the day in the summer.

El Paso is in the mountains and does not get that hot, nor does it have humidity. In fact snow and cold weather is quite common. Winters can be harsh.

El Paso has summer nightly lows in the 70's, with zero humidity, and Gary has nightly lows in the high 70's with extreme humidity.

I have no idea what your posting of random high temps or average temps, especially outside the summer, has to do with the conversation. I never claimed that El Paso has lower averages or is cooler outside of summer.

If your argument that Gary has better winter weather than El Paso, then I guess you're going to continue with consistently absurd postings, just like you claimed that Gary has beautiful neighborhoods and that Gary is supposedly "better" because nearby cities are better (so I guess Camden, NJ is better than Chicago because Camden is close to NYC while Chicago is only close to farms and rust belt dumps).
Again, Miller Beach.....Gary, Indiana: Gary makes for an unlikely but rewarding tourist destination - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Miller Beach Arts and Creative District | Gary, IN

The Miller Beach Pages

Miller Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A census tract in that area: Census Tract 010100 in Lake County, Indiana

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-18-2015 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
^ Would absolutely rather live in that neighborhood in Chicagoland than the middle of nowhere in the desert. I realize that El Paso, the city, is much nicer overall than Gary, the suburb. But for me personally, I don't like dozens of blazing days over 100 degrees, brown, and the like. Can totally see why EP would be the answer for many. Just not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City