Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times

Advertisements

I personally would rather live in Chicago but I would never move to either city. Chicago taxes and cost of living of is too high for me, partly the reason I never move to California too high taxes and too cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 09:23 AM

110 posts, read 116,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You must have been typing in a hurry and mist-typed. Surely you meant to say you are not sure how any old person chooses Chicago over Charleston, right? Young people are attracted to big cities, hustle & bustle, nightlife, and lots of singles. Retirement-age people are attracted to genteel cities, with slow pace and mild climate.
I'm glad that you are able to speak for all young people. Charleston is crawling with young people. I cannot fathom why you would think young people in general prefer a cold place vs a warm place at the beach. I can see people in the midwest preferring Chicago more, because many of their friends moved there. I don't think Chicago has much appeal to people outside of the midwest.

there are scores of young people who move to Chucktown without jobs lined, end up working in retail/service for years, so they can be near the beach.

there is nothing 'slow paced' about living in Charleston vs Chicago. i wouldn't call Charleston 'genteel' either. you have the northerner's stereotypical view of the south. People have to work in Charleston too, and there are some traffic issues.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:25 AM

37,134 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I'm glad that you are able to speak for all young people. Charleston is crawling with young people. I cannot fathom why you would think young people in general prefer a cold place vs a warm place at the beach.
I cannot fathom why you're so confident that you would know any better. You sound pretty old to me given what you're prioritizing. Are you maybe a bit on the older side of the 20s?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I cannot fathom why you're so confident that you would know any better. You sound pretty old to me given what you're prioritizing. Are you maybe a bit on the older side of the 20s?
I'm 37.

Charleston has more people in their 20's per 100 teenagers than Chicago. A lot more. I put the age thing to bed when I posted that article from USA today.

Charleston isn't just the beach. YOu can do anything in Charleston that you do in Chicago, and do outside stuff more often because it isn't so cold.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:37 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
I'm 37.

Charleston has more people in their 20's per 100 teenagers than Chicago. A lot more. I put the age thing to bed when I posted that article from USA today.

Charleston isn't just the beach. YOu can do anything in Charleston that you do in Chicago, and do outside stuff more often because it isn't so cold.
Yep you're pretty old.

Also, you can't do anything in Charleston that you can do in Chicago because Charleston doesn't offer most of what Chicago offers. How misinformed can one individual be? Wow.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Yep you're pretty old.

Also, you can't do anything in Charleston that you can do in Chicago because Charleston doesn't offer most of what Chicago offers. How misinformed can one individual be? Wow.
oh yeah, the Bears, Bulls, cubs and the hockey team. *most* can live without pro sports teams. the beach makes up for it.

I highly *doubt* you've been to Chuck.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,425 times
Quote:
I'm 37.
Ah...it's starting to make sense now. Not that 37 is ancient, but I can see how an almost 40 year old would prefer Charleston to Chicago.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Ah...it's starting to make sense now. Not that 37 is ancient, but I can see how an almost 40 year old would prefer Charleston to Chicago.
lol everybody at my high school wanted to move to Charleston after college. Most of them did.

never heard one person talk about dreams of moving to Chicago or any big city in cold weather. Maybe one person talked about NYC .

I can understand the appeal of NYC, and reality is it is similar to Charleston geographically, being on a peninsula.

Chicago has as much as appeal to people who grow up in warm climates as Fargo. lol

hey if people want to move to a cold place, i'm not going to try to talk them out of it. Charleston has enough people as it is. We'll be on the beach living it up.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:44 AM

37,134 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
I'm 37.

No, and neither is Chicago just a larger city with more job opportunities in a much larger variety of fields. I think you're quite removed from what young people want as you keep on carping about the cold repeatedly. I believe you were even questioning what the point of live music is--have you seen the demographics of people who go to the vast majority of music concerts and events?

I'm not sure about what you said, but why pull up the USA article when you can look directly at the census data?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 AM

I already tackled the job opportunities issue. reality is you have to talk about number of applications for each given job. I doubt the number of applications for a job in Chicago is lower than that of Charleston, thus, can you truly claim it is the better job market? you have to beat out other people to get a job, so a metro having more jobs alone does not mean it is any easier to get a job that you want there.

Any truly career minded person isn't thinking about jobs in terms of cities, they are flexible on location, being flexible on location is the best way to maximize career oportunities and salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City