Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:50 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
lol everybody at my high school wanted to move to Charleston after college. Most of them did.

never heard one person talk about dreams of moving to Chicago or any big city in cold weather. Maybe one person talked about NYC .

I can understand the appeal of NYC, and reality is it is similar to Charleston geographically, being on a peninsula.

Chicago has as much as appeal to people who grow up in warm climates as Fargo. lol

hey if people want to move to a cold place, i'm not going to try to talk them out of it. Charleston has enough people as it is. We'll be on the beach living it up.
...and I'm sure they all really enjoy it too. I remember while growing up, my grandmother had an increasing aversion to the cold as well. Her apartment was always sweltering to us, but she couldn't have been more comfortable.

I get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 09:55 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
I'm glad that you are able to speak for all young people. Charleston is crawling with young people. I cannot fathom why you would think young people in general prefer a cold place vs a warm place at the beach. I can see people in the midwest preferring Chicago more, because many of their friends moved there. I don't think Chicago has much appeal to people outside of the midwest.

there are scores of young people who move to Chucktown without jobs lined, end up working in retail/service for years, so they can be near the beach.

there is nothing 'slow paced' about living in Charleston vs Chicago. i wouldn't call Charleston 'genteel' either. you have the northerner's stereotypical view of the south. People have to work in Charleston too, and there are some traffic issues.
People have to work in Charleston too? Wow I am shocked. Ok you convinced me, Charleston is better for young people than Chicago. And Naples, FL is better than NYC. It's got even better weather and beaches than Charleston. And I've heard they have some traffic issues there as well.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
oh yeah, the Bears, Bulls, cubs and the hockey team. *most* can live without pro sports teams. the beach makes up for it.

I highly *doubt* you've been to Chuck.
You're almost over 40 so now I understand. Stop trying to speak for the youth, you're not even in the youth. After a certain age people don't prefer the big city lifestyle and fast paced hustle and bustle which clearly you don't. Charleston is laid back and has many retirees like south Florida outside of Miami.

Last edited by Deluusions; 06-21-2015 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
I never knew Charleston even had a beach. I always thought it was a place retirees moved to so they could golf.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
I already tackled the job opportunities issue. reality is you have to talk about number of applications for each given job. I doubt the number of applications for a job in Chicago is lower than that of Charleston, thus, can you truly claim it is the better job market? you have to beat out other people to get a job, so a metro having more jobs alone does not mean it is any easier to get a job that you want there.

Any truly career minded person isn't thinking about jobs in terms of cities, they are flexible on location, being flexible on location is the best way to maximize career oportunities and salary.
You certainly didn't tackle it in any meaningful way though

Chicago will come up for more jobs in more fields than Charleston will. Chicago will have more major corporations and what might be the top of their field. Chicago is going to have jobs in fields that don't really even exist in Charleston in any meaningful way (the vice versa will also be true, but just to a far lesser extent).

If it helps you any, I've known many southerners who have moved to Chicago, Philadelphia, and NYC. Does that help since we're allowing citations of people we know as proof?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:02 AM

110 posts, read 116,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
People have to work in Charleston too? Wow I am shocked. Ok you convinced me, Charleston is better for young people than Chicago. And Naples, FL is better than NYC. It's got even better weather and beaches than Charleston. And I've heard they have some traffic issues there as well.
Naples is better, for most people. You have a bias for big cities. I don't see how living in a city with more strangers makes it a better place to live though. you aren't going to know even 1 percent of the people in Chuck if you moved there.

You said Charleston has a slow pace, as though people in Chuck just sitting around sipping lemonade all day. NO actually we have to work, and we have to take our kids to things, and we do all the same kind of things as people do in Chicago or big cities elswehere. so is life slower paced here?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You certainly didn't tackle it in any meaningful way though
lol so why can't you actually counter my point with logical proofs?

chicago is no doubt a decent big city. my father said it is nice, the architecture, the lake, etc. if you can deal with the high cost of living, high taxes, cold weather, 100 percent liberal population,e tc.

I will only live in flat places if they are near the beach though.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:10 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
lol so why can't you actually counter my point with logical proofs?

chicago is no doubt a decent big city. my father said it is nice, the architecture, the lake, etc. if you can deal with the high cost of living, high taxes, cold weather, 100 percent liberal population,e tc.

I will only live in flat places if they are near the beach though.
I don't see you as having a point though, that's why I don't see how there should be a counter. You simply say things you prefer and then tell others they're not logical or have no proof, yet don't really hold yourself to anywhere near the same scrutiny. It is very exciting!

Old 06-21-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't see you as having a point though, that's why I don't see how there should be a counter. You simply say things you prefer and then tell others they're not logical or have no proof, yet don't really hold yourself to anywhere near the same scrutiny. It is very exciting!
Yes, I state my preferences, and you state your preferences. Given most people don't have a choice of going to either Chicago or Charleston, there is no data on which one people would prefer to go to if they had a job offer in both.

I tend to think most people, of any age, would prefer Charleston. I could be wrong. If I am wrong, so what? This isn't a life and death issue

the main selling point that I hear for Chicago is it has more people. Is that really a selling point?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:18 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I never knew Charleston even had a beach. I always thought it was a place retirees moved to so they could golf.
No, that would be Myrtle Beach.

Chicago obviously has the advantage in this matchup, but a few people here are pretty misinformed about Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City