Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 12:42 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,350,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritornello View Post
SF is richer than NYC, but you knew that Nola
No actually NYC is much richer than SF, but you knew that. NYC has more wealth than any other metro on earth. SF is probably Top 5 in the U.S. in terms of wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:46 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,579,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I have never heard anyone say "Manhattan is NYC by itself". What does that even mean? People think that NYC lacks residential neighborhoods?
i hear that from people who only seen nyc in the movies. outside of manhattan (perhaps now brooklyn) many people (not most) are ignorant that manhattan, harlam, queens, brooklyn, the bronx, ... make up the city of new york (not just the state of new york).
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Most people's lives don't revolve around ANY city, regardless of where it's at. As far as the separate boroughs being regarded as cities, what can I say? That's just general ignorance (understood, though).
i call different districts within a city cities themselves sometimes. what adds to that confusion is someones postal address (mite say city/state) and i will refer the district as the city (it usually gets delivered).

some cities are partitioned into districts/wards/burroughs/communities/... (its just easier to say what city do you live in instead of thinking about how to redefine my words based on where i am -- most people pick it up from context).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Didn't i just say i understand how the politics & how it's ran lol

I said that the real Nyc is Manhattan and my Fam back east tells me that people in other boroughs refer to Manhattan as visiting the city like they're living in a different town or something....

By government laws it is one city but each borough is very different, Facts still remain it's a city of 5 counties, Do you know how big a county is in California ? Orange county would be like the Bronx or something...So it's just a different system Back East & no need to get upset at Facts lol
maybe its a race thing. i've heard people say things like jerry seinfeld lives in new york city, and spike lee lives in brooklyn, nas is from queens,...

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 08-02-2015 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 12:48 PM

27 posts, read 23,004 times
Quote:
No actually NYC is much richer than SF, but you knew that. NYC has more wealth than any other metro on earth. SF is probably Top 5 in the U.S. in terms of wealth.
Lol Nola once you leave Manhattan, Fairfield co. CT, E.LI, or West Chester NY, your in the ghetto projects Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, SI, JC, Newark, etc

SF and peninsula are uber sophisticated vs NYCs outer boroughs and burbs. Bay area burbs in Northbay, Eastbay, Southbay, Santa Cruz are richer and better than NYC outer boroughs and burbs. But you knew that Nola.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i hear that from people who only seen nyc in the movies. outside of manhattan (perhaps now brooklyn) many people (not most) are ignorant that manhattan, harlam, queens, brooklyn, the bronx, ... make up the city of new york (not just the state of new york).i call different districts within a city cities themselves sometimes. what adds to that confusion is someones postal address (mite say city/state) and i will refer the district as the city (it usually gets delivered).
Harlem is part of Manhattan. Not sure what the rest of this means. The city and state have the same name; has nothing to do with postal issues or anything (mail is delivered by zips not city or state names).

Old 08-02-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritornello View Post
Lol Nola once you leave Manhattan, Fairfield co. CT, E.LI, or West Chester NY, your in the ghetto projects Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, SI, JC, Newark, etc

SF and peninsula are uber sophisticated vs NYCs outer boroughs and burbs. Bay area burbs in Northbay, Eastbay, Southbay, Santa Cruz are richer and better than NYC outer boroughs and burbs. But you knew that Nola.
Given every post I've seen from you on C-D is laughably wrong, I will take this post in stride.

I'll be sure to let you know as soon as you post something on C-D that approaches reality.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:05 PM

27 posts, read 23,004 times
Quote:
Given every post I've seen from you on C-D is laughably wrong, I will take this post in stride.

I'll be sure to let you know as soon as you post something on C-D that approaches reality.
Bay area burbs in Northbay, Eastbay, Southbay, and Santa Cruz are richer and more sophisticated than the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Newark, JC, NNJ, White Plains, etc. They are much more expensive and desirable for their weather, incomes, and desirable housing market. SF and the peninsula area San Mateo co. are as rich as Manhattan, West Chester co NY, and Fairfield co CT. Can't refute my claims because you know you're wrong.

This is Nola waving the white flag folks

Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,891,677 times
Quote:
I have never heard anyone say "Manhattan is NYC by itself". What does that even mean? People think that NYC lacks residential neighborhoods?
Yeah actually they do. Alot of people think that island is just NYC by itself. When people think about NYC all most think about is a bunch of high rises and alot of people. I don't see what's so hard to believe about it honestly, the borough system is so unique in America that most don't really understand NYC unless it's explained to them. You can often find postal address with "Brooklyn, NY" or "Queens, NY" instead of "New York, NY", making you think it's an outskirt and not part of the city. Now I'm hearing that their even in different counties? I sure as hell can't put University District, MI or Springwells, MI on a postal address instead of saying "Detroit, MI". NYC can be a pretty complicated city to understand to an outsider but it's part of what makes the place so unique.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:49 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,579,737 times
^ need to spread the love before i can rep you again.

Quote:
Harlem is part of Manhattan. Not sure what the rest of this means. The city and state have the same name; has nothing to do with postal issues or anything (mail is delivered by zips not city or state names).
i would assume most peole would address:
new york city, ny (as opposed to manhattan, ny)
and
brooklyn, new york (as opposed to new york city, ny)
similar to:
boston, ma (as opposed to back bay, ma)
and
dorchester, ma (as opposed to boston, ma)
what other cities have a large disconnection between downtown and residential in the minds of people ?

Old 08-02-2015, 02:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,182,294 times
Quote:
I agree with you that NYC is much richer than SF, but richest metro on Earth? That actually goes to Tokyo; NYC is second.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:49 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,419 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primate_city. Note-NYC does not qualify in terms of politics. Media?-LA is the center of the movie/television industry. As for educational institutions-definitely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City