Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
It was Redmonds on Roscoe/Sheffield. Mental note never to go to Will's on Racine though.
I would not go think to either in general even if I didnt know what transpired!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 22,424 times
Do'nt know what the windy comment means, Chicago is about as windy as Boston.
The Windy city is a moniker based on bombastic politics and labelled on Chicago by New York writers over 100 years ago.

I lived in Chicago, and spent extended time Boston and DC as well as Miami and LA and Phoenix ( at least 6 months each).

Chicago is very similar to Boston in personality. Chicago has its own identity and history and good Chicago natives are very proud of it. They have a chip on their shoulder about it. ( not unlike Bostonians)

Chicago is a bit provincial. Both Washington and Boston share international histories as they relate to the Nation, however Boston has a unique personal identity and DC has none outside the Georgetown neighborhood. ( modelled very much n Boston and Chicago)

Chicago , like Boston is a city of neighborhoods. Each unique. Especially within the confines of the city itself. Irish, Itialian even Chinese all have unique and vibrant communities just like Boston.

It may not be as true so much now, but I can say that many native Chicagoans have been born, raised, married and died in the same neighborhood, most even meeting spouses that way. My firends in Boston say it was like that too.

If being a city of nieghborhoods is a "clique" well the other writer is clueless....Neighborhoods are to be enjoyed like a good scotch or brandy. Unique and aromatic, and you will only be allowed to name one or two as a favorite. the others may just not suit you, or more likely you are not fit for them !

Name a city besides Boston where Saint Patricks Day is the larges Celebration in the City...Chicago..or where Polish kids learn Irish Dancing as an activity after school or at the park !

Certainly Not in DC.

Only in Boston or Chicago will African American Police and Fireman march side by side with their white brethren in parades led by bag pipers called " the Black Guard or Shannon Rovers" and consider it an honor.

I can think of no "cliquier" city than Washington because it is a politico town and everyone there is on temporary assignment so to speak.

If your social circle is devoid of the flavor of anything blue collar or ethnic, then DC is your town, where people are either rich and connected or poor and disenfrachised.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,989 times
Man chicago keeps looking more inviting to move to! Although i have to strongly disagree about summers, summers are the best here in seattle. Usually 70s maybe low 80's with NO humidity lol. I'm from Arkansas originally so i KNOW about hot summers lol they hurt in the south!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I would not go think to either in general even if I didnt know what transpired!
I don't blame you. But sometimes the venues are out of your control.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,719 times
Having lived in both cities, I actually prefer Chicago.

The milder winters, topography and proximity to NYC, Philly, and East Coast beaches are the major hallmarks of DC.

However; Chicago definately has a city vibe with friendlier people and much better nightlife and restuarants.

Traffic-wise DC is worse, but things are much more assessible so you don't have to drive great distances like you would in Chicago.

I've found people in DC to be a lot more cliquer than Chicago. Typically the first question people ask you is "What do you do for a living?" or "Where did you go to school?" However; not everyone is like this in DC.

Housing is also much more affordable in Chicago. In NW DC you would have to pay a minimum of $1500.00 for a one bedroom apartment in a safe and convenient area.

Also, one thing that you might want to be aware of is that living in the District of Columbia can be hassle. The DC government is notorious for being slow and inefficient. Having a car is a nightmare as insurance rates are ridiculous, not to mention the lack of parking. Also, not sure if this matters but the District of Columbia does not have a vote in Congress; so the only vote that ever gets counted is the Presidential Election.

Overall though, both are great cities. You might actually want to visit both to get a feel for yourself.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 PM

93 posts, read 367,557 times
Visiting both cities is an excellent recommendation.

I've never been to DC, just heard different opinions that I won't necessarily elaborate on. The only consistent thing I've heard about DC is that the crime is farily high there with a high murder rate.

Chicago's murder rate from what I've heard has been down in almost record numbers. Chicago is becoming a much more safer city, Cabrini Green Projects are almost eliminated, much of the gang activity is pushing out toward the suburbs.

But crime is something you may want to consider when moving to a big city.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:21 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
....I would certainly take Chicago over Wash DC. Some complain about Chicago's weather, but DC is a swamp in July and August.Chicago has more of a sense of permanence than DC, where many are there only for the short haul..sports, housing, restaurants, local attitudes..all in favor of ChiTown.

I visit DC several times a year, and I can say that there is certainly a cosmopolitan air about it, as well as friendly locals, but I would still take Chicago, especially if you're not overly political.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:36 PM

8 posts, read 22,424 times
Quote Now to add my three cents. Chicago is a great city. I don't think you can go wrong. DC is east coast and very different vibe.

I dis agree from the Get go I see DC as much more siuthern than Eastern.. Philly Boston New York thats eastern. Chicago Rivals NEw York in density at the urban core

Transportation - It's a push. Chicago has more bus ridership. DC has more subway ridership. Large parts of Chicago don't have access to the EL

I have to disagree Chicago has about 160 miles of rapid transit, larger than DC in scope, what they usually fail to mention on various websites is that there is about 30 miles of "suburban lines" that tie in from Skokie and Oak Park , evanston ETC...

In addition Chicago is short serviced here by about 50 % in terms of rapid transit. Chicago has about a 500,000 a day commuter rail system. Beyond its subway system of about 650,000 The sytems are separate in Chicago but DC metro combines them for oversight.......

Museums - DC

Museums in DC are very "centric." The nationakl Gallery and The Art institute are on a close par, The Field Museum and Orientla institute are the finest Egypt and middleastern studies sites in the country...
Chicago has the Planetarium, the Aquarium the Two Zoos...

I think DC Kills with monuments and historical sites... not the museums, its very close

Sports - Chicago (except for football season. The Redskins easily surpsass the Bears for fanaticism)

Food - Chicago

Nightlife - Maybe Chicago (DC has great nightlife too)

Neighborhoods - Chicago has an abundance of good neighborhoods but in
Chicago matches Georgetown, Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan
Chicago is superior in neighborhoods because of a greater diversity.. Both etnically and in terms of socially Think Lincoln Park, Little Italy, China town and others...

Outdoor activities - DC has more parks (You can get lost in Rock Creek Park)
You mention chicago scenwery buit the entire lake front is parks and beaches...tens of thousands of acres

Scenery - Push -I love Chicago's Waterfront/Skyscrapers but DC is beautiful too especially around the Mall during the spring
Employment - Push (Both offer great opportunities)
Traffic - Push

Culture - Push

The music and theatre scheme in Chicago far surpass DC including off broadway shows, Second City and on and on.

The Chicago Symphony and Opera house have no mate in DC.

Urbanity - Chicago is more urban downtown but some parts on the southside have a notoriously suburban feel with strip malls.

Taxes - DC

Cost of Living - Chicago

Social Scene - It is easier to meet people in Chicago
Music Scene - Chicago

Housing - (cost Chicago/architecture DC)[/quote]

Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I don't blame you. But sometimes the venues are out of your control.
That always sucks.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Chicago Mik,

Let me take a minute to punch holes in some of your inaccuarate observations.

Your comment about DC being more southern than eastern is assinine at best. DC has all of the characteristics of an east coast city. (3rd largest central business district in the US, density, urban core, diversity, great mass transit, cosmopolitan vibe, employment opportunities). Sounds like more like east coast than the south to me.

Let's take a look at density. DC, Baltimore, Philly, Chicago and Boston are all between the 9,000 - 12,000 persons per square mile range. Chicago does not come nowhere near NYC's density. SF even has a higher density than Chicago. NYC is 25,000 per square mile and Manhattan is double that.

Your transportation comment stems from a lack of knowledge. I'm giving you the real numbers. DC metro has a higher ridership than the EL. Point blank! Heavy rail versus heavy rail. There is no combining of numbers. We have one subway system called (5 lines) Metro. Almost 800,000 riders a day. Its the second largest subway system in the country. Your bus ridership is higher and your commuter rail (metra) kills our commuter rail (VRE and MARC).

"Museums in DC are very "centric." The nationakl Gallery and The Art institute are on a close par, The Field Museum and Orientla institute are the finest Egypt and middleastern studies sites in the country...
Chicago has the Planetarium, the Aquarium the Two Zoos..."

Are you serious with the above statement. Chicago has great museums but do you really think they contend with the Smithsonian? The Smithsonian Institution, is the world's largest museum complex and research organization composed of 19 museums and 9 research centers. I won't list them all but here are some of the most popular ones.

Air & Space Museum
American History Museum'
African Art Museum
American Arts Museum and Renwick Gallery
Native American Museum
National Zoo
Holocaust Museum
Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
National Gallery of Art
International Spy Museum
Postal Museum
National Design Museum
Smithsonian Institute Castle
National Zoo
Portrait Gallery

As for scenery, the lakefront is awesome but Chicago doesn't have better parks than DC. The National Mall is majestic and comparable to the lake front but DC has an abundance of parks. In Rock Creek Park which is 4 miles of rugged wilderness in the middle of the city. Your definition of parks maybe a little different from mine. I was talking about outdoor activities. The parks in Chicago are flat and tame compared to our parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City