Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 05:18 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
witnessed interracial mingling in the lower tier areas. But I don't define diversity along those lines if I don't see much social interaction beyond the workplace between the suburbians and the inner-city common folk. And in that regard, I don't consider the city any more diverse than L.A, S.F, or Oakland.
Such a smug Bay Area response, trying to diminish and minimize the diversity and integration of Sacramento.

Really, the Mayor of Sacramento is an African American married to an Asian(Korean) woman, are they considered "mingling low tier types".

Sacramento City is more integrated than anywhere in LA. Alameda and Contra Costa is more segregated than Sacramento County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:26 PM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
Too bad Chimerique. Not enough El Dorado Hills millionaires mingling with Del Paso Heights "commoners" at the bars after work. No diversity here, move along.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Richmond doesn't have direct flights to the West because it isn't important. I'm not surprised at the number of flights from Sac to the East. Duh.

And we do have international flights (tongue and cheek). Flights to Toronto, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Something that Poquson was alluding to, Richmond is a pretty self contained city. We have flights to New York, Boston and Miami. That's really all anyone needs

Sacramento looks really nice and California is stunning but Richmond and Virginia are more beautiful and much more evocative than anything out West.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:44 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post

Sacramento looks really nice and California is stunning but Richmond and Virginia are more beautiful and much more evocative than anything out West.
We never hear anything about Richmond in the west or the midwest. We barely hear about Virginia other than how much of our tax dollars go to the feds in that part of the country.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-01-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
We never hear anything about Richmond in the west or the midwest. We barely hear about Virginia other than how much of our tax dollars to the feds in that part of the country.
Do you think Sacramento is headline news or a topic of conversation out here? When someone says "California" out here, 90% of the time they really mean LA. Even SF is only spoken of specifically, not in general convo. And I believe Cali to be the most important state in the union, but Sac isn't more important than Rich...

Last edited by murksiderock; 08-31-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Something that Poquson was alluding to, Richmond is a pretty self contained city. We have flights to New York, Boston and Miami. That's really all anyone needs

That'a pretty bold and rather delusional statement, but to each their own I suppose. Have you spent much time out West? I can see someone saying that about Sacramento vs Richmond but the whole West?

Old 08-31-2015, 11:16 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
I've spent a lot of time out west (CO, CA, AZ, WA and OR). It is grand but inaccessible, scrappy, not gracious or evocative. There is a reason why 7/8 of the population lives elsewhere.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
I've spent a lot of time out west. It is grand but inaccessible, scrappy, not gracious or evocative. There is a reason that 7/8 of the population lives elsewhere.
Well you can't please everyone but again that's a rather delusional statement you're not going to hear from many people.

Yeah there is a reason most live in the eastern half of the US but natural beauty has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:52 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I really dig Richmond and Virginia, but I'm not sure I'd say it's more beautiful and evocative than, say, Seattle or Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City