Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
What about LA, Chicago, Oakland, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, New Orleans, etc.?

Ok, I know H-Town is fiercely obvious
LOL. Beyonce'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:01 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
I don't know if I was in those particular areas but I did cross the bridge to get to SE DC b/c I wanted to get a feel for it. Yes, it was gritty. Wasn't my cup of tea. I'll pass

I also went to Chevy Chase, gerogetown and foxhall precent. That is a lily white area but it was very very nice. I long for the day when black people can live like that and not have to compromise. I couldn't live in those nice areas.

I am in love with Bowie MD though and parts of PG County. More so than DC.
Truth be told, Georgetown used to be a predominately Black neighborhood. A pretty wealthy one too last I checked. Even when it was still an independent city, there was always a large Black presence in G-Town, both free and enslaved. I think it became mostly White sometime in the early to mid 20th century.

Outside of parts of the Inner Beltway, a majority of the Black neighborhoods and communities here in PG County are definitely nicer overall than most of our DC counterparts and Bowie is arguably the crown jewel though Bowie is quite diverse as well. Mitchellville, Fort Washington, Brandywine, and Woodmore got some huge properties with a lot of Black ownership as well just to name a few. There's a decent number of properties in the Town of Upper Marlboro that have houses that practically look like mansions, they got some big ass lawns too lol Town of Upper Marlboro has some cute little houses in the historic area too. Those houses I've said that look like mansions are also in the historic part.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
LOL. Beyonce'

Dallas could most likely be Erykah Badu though with a touch of Brooklyn within that Southern Soul of hers.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:01 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
What about LA, Chicago, Oakland, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, New Orleans, etc.?

Ok, I know H-Town is fiercely obvious
Kim Burrell?

Old 12-03-2015, 07:23 AM

93,366 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
U Street has gotten more White yes but there's still a good number of Black people within that area. I still encounter a decent amount of Afrocentricity in the U Street/Cardozo and Shaw neighborhoods despite the changing demographics. It's not exactly Dupont Circle just yet, now THAT neighborhood definitely gives me a feeling that I'm on the "White side of town" every time I'm over there even though it's actually an extremely multicultural neighborhood filled with people of various racial/ethnic/social/economic backgrounds from throughout the metro area out and about along with students, interns, and embassy employees. Dupont is a major inner city hub after all.

Georgia Avenue gives me a vibe more akin to what U Street was like back in the mid-2000s. You'll see some White faces but you'll encounter a LOT of Blacks and Latinos (Black, White, Mixed) along Georgia Ave as well due to the neighborhoods it goes through. Still a good number of Black businesses along Georgia too, more so than U Street nowadays.
I just came across this article this morning: Minority Reporter DC's Black Population Drops Below 50 Percent for the First Time in Years - Minority Reporter

Old 12-03-2015, 07:32 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
LA barely gets any recognition here in the black mecca section because of the loss of AA's and the price, but It is still the largest population of AA's on the WestCoast and there are still areas of the city were there are many middle to Upper class AA's. Some of these communities are some of the few in the USA that have generational wealth--at least for AA's.

Also, for a city that has a low percentage of AA's comparative to the MSA there at least 800,000 AA's in the LA area. Not to mention some of the many cultural contributions made in the city for AA culture in music, comedy, acting, dancing, church and the economy. Can't really be denied. I would say we have more cultural output than places like Houston and Dallas.

I'm not saying LA is close to ATL or DC or even Chicago but there is a case to be made that it is at least in the top 10. From the statistics pointed out numerous times, LA has more black professionals, middle class blacks, and opportunities than places that would deemed to be more "black". A lot of that has do with the entertainment industries reliance on black expression but also there are many more who are doctors, lawyers, agents, entrpreneurs. And a generally relaxed racial climate among professional IMO in Los Angeles.

Last edited by jamills21; 12-03-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thought that had already happened. Either way, there's still a Black plurality in the District but who knows how long that might last.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:03 AM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's old news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/us/18dc.html?_r=0

According to the latest Census figures (2014 5-year estimates released today), Washington, DC is 49.6% Black and Atlanta is 52.9% Black. Neither will be a majority Black city by the time the 2020 Census rolls around.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:26 AM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
NE side by BET.... and is that old ugly warehouse looking thing the headquarters? I went driving around searching for BET headquarters and google brought me to that... Like if you search for it on the map now, you'll see where I ended up but if you go to google images, you see a nicer building

Also just east of the supreme court is nice but slowly goes down and gets blacker the further you go southeast...

The NE side by &pizza on H street looked rough too (not as much as the se side and side by bet) but look like it was going through gentrification and gettin cleaned up
You live in Arlington, Virginia? Or is that Arlington, Texas?

IMO, the more downtrodden neighborhoods of DC are more aesthetically pleasing than those in Atlanta proper. That's even after the public housing was cleared from the city of Atlanta. A lot of the poorer neighborhoods in DC have good housing stock (largely built in the 1920s and 30s). Sure, there are some crappy areas, but the housing stock overall is nice. The West End in Atlanta has some nice housing stock, and so do some other historic neighborhoods, but older construction in Atlanta is the exception, not the norm, and most of the poor areas of Atlanta are full of nondescript and not as well-constructed single-family homes and garden apartment buildings.

This is one reason why gentrification continues to surge into more remote DC neighborhoods (and why it continues to surge deep into Harlem and Bed-Stuy). Even Anacostia, which was the deadliest neighborhood in the city during the crack epidemic, has a lot of nice, historic housing that's pleasing to the Yuppie eye. I don't see gentrification pushing that aggressively into Bankhead or the SWATS anytime soon because there isn't much that would attract Yuppies there.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You live in Arlington, Virginia? Or is that Arlington, Texas?

IMO, the more downtrodden neighborhoods of DC are more aesthetically pleasing than those in Atlanta proper. That's even after the public housing was cleared from the city of Atlanta. A lot of the poorer neighborhoods in DC have good housing stock (largely built in the 1920s and 30s). Sure, there are some crappy areas, but the housing stock overall is nice. The West End in Atlanta has some nice housing stock, and so do some other historic neighborhoods, but older construction in Atlanta is the exception, not the norm, and most of the poor areas of Atlanta are full of nondescript and not as well-constructed single-family homes and garden apartment buildings.

This is one reason why gentrification continues to surge into more remote DC neighborhoods (and why it continues to surge deep into Harlem and Bed-Stuy). Even Anacostia, which was the deadliest neighborhood in the city during the crack epidemic, has a lot of nice, historic housing that's pleasing to the Yuppie eye. I don't see gentrification pushing that aggressively into Bankhead or the SWATS anytime soon because there isn't much that would attract Yuppies there.
I'd have to agree with that, and it's not so much that the bad areas of Atlanta don't have older housing stock because many, if not most, do, but it's just that they have fallen into such disrepair over a wider area. You'll see that along English Avenue, Vine City, Oakland City, etc. DC's bad neighborhoods aren't quite as blighted and tend to have better infrastructure than Atlanta's bad neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City