U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-04-2015, 08:56 AM
 
52,731 posts, read 75,683,460 times
Reputation: 11636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Perhaps, but Philly would definitely be Jill Scott.
and Avery Sunshine(technically from Chester). I guess New Orleans could be Teedra Moses too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2015, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,634 posts, read 24,856,537 times
Reputation: 11195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know, but it apparently is official now....So, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans, Baltimore and Newark may be the only cities with at least 250,000 people that are predominately Black by 2020.
I guess. I don't see why the 2014 Census estimates would be any more official than the 2011 Census estimates. And it doesn't get any more "official" than the New York Times reporting it as far as news sources are concerned.

But yeah, there won't be many large, majority Black cities by 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 09:26 AM
 
52,731 posts, read 75,683,460 times
Reputation: 11636
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess. I don't see why the 2014 Census estimates would be any more official than the 2011 Census estimates. And it doesn't get any more "official" than the New York Times reporting it as far as news sources are concerned.

But yeah, there won't be many large, majority Black cities by 2020.
True, but estimates have also been proven to be wrong, as some were before the 2010 Census.

You may have some cities where the Black population/percentage actually grows, but I don't know if they would be predominately Black. Close or pluralistically so, but not predominately Black. Cincinnati, Rochester NY, Milwaukee and perhaps Philadelphia come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,048,640 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, right. Anyone who claims Ben Carson is the best presidential candidate running right now, I personally question their standards all across the board.
+2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Arlington
641 posts, read 494,854 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Haha if only if only. I feel like LA= Cassie(with her shaved head) would be a better comparison. To bring it up though LA is so diverse that I feel like there is not one black culture here. Long beach is different than the wood which is different than south central which is different than Baldwin hills, Ect. On top of that for being s city that really doesn't have that large of a black presence(not even 12 percent) we sure do have a lot
Of black folk that are well to do/in respected positions out here. Most ppl are shocked when they find out how low of a percentage of LA is black because of the huge impact that black Los Angeles culture has had
On the us at large
SoCal is my fav region in the country. I wish there was a larger blk presence there. Im sure the ones there are doing pretty good for themselves, if they weren't, they'd move to another state or stay in the struggle. LA's black population has declined a lot over the past decades. And mark my words, u can debate it if u want, but the more liberal a place becomes, the more expensive it will be, forcing blacks to move somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,899 posts, read 1,519,213 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Cassie is from NY tho. Jhene is from LA (Ladera Heights). Tinashe and Kurruche are from Ladera too if anybody wants to keep score lol.
Damn idk why I totally get an LA vibe from her for some reason. I thought Tinashe was from Kentucky? Haha but any who it just proves the point, LA stays having a huge impact on black american culture for the lack of black folk here(compared to other major cities).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,899 posts, read 1,519,213 times
Reputation: 1567
Also I found this thread to be interesting that I deiced to Wiki the subject matter. There criteria was:

"A black mecca, in the United States, is a city to which African Americans, particularly professionals,[1] are drawn to live, due to some or all of the following factors:

superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class
black political power in a city
leading black educational institutions in a city
a city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture
harmonious black-white race relations in a city"

I know wiki is not the most reliable source but according to Wiki Atlanta is the clear winner, then they place NYC/Harlem(for history reasons) and Washington DC next. These three cities were the only cities that had whole paragraphs. The next cities that they listed as black mecca's in order were Dallas, Birmingham, Detroit, St. Louis, Memphis, Philadelphia, Houston, Los Angeles and New Orleans, Baltimore and Chicago. Again IDK how valid this is(lol at St. Louis and Memphis) but found it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 01:06 PM
 
52,731 posts, read 75,683,460 times
Reputation: 11636
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
SoCal is my fav region in the country. I wish there was a larger blk presence there. Im sure the ones there are doing pretty good for themselves, if they weren't, they'd move to another state or stay in the struggle. LA's black population has declined a lot over the past decades. And mark my words, u can debate it if u want, but the more liberal a place becomes, the more expensive it will be, forcing blacks to move somewhere else.
A lot of them that stay move to the Inland Empire region of Southern CA. So, places like Rancho Cucamonga, Rialto, Fontana, San Bernardino, Ontario, Riverside, etc., have seen an increase in their Black pipulation in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 01:09 PM
 
52,731 posts, read 75,683,460 times
Reputation: 11636
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Also I found this thread to be interesting that I deiced to Wiki the subject matter. There criteria was:

"A black mecca, in the United States, is a city to which African Americans, particularly professionals,[1] are drawn to live, due to some or all of the following factors:

superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class
black political power in a city
leading black educational institutions in a city
a city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture
harmonious black-white race relations in a city"

I know wiki is not the most reliable source but according to Wiki Atlanta is the clear winner, then they place NYC/Harlem(for history reasons) and Washington DC next. These three cities were the only cities that had whole paragraphs. The next cities that they listed as black mecca's in order were Dallas, Birmingham, Detroit, St. Louis, Memphis, Philadelphia, Houston, Los Angeles and New Orleans, Baltimore and Chicago. Again IDK how valid this is(lol at St. Louis and Memphis) but found it interesting.
St. Louis and Memphis meets some of the criteria, but would be further down the line.

As mentioned previously an area like Columbia SC fits much of the criteria and is still a sleeper. I believe Mutiny77 mentioned that it had or has one of the fastest growing populations of "educated"/degreed Black folks in the country.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-04-2015 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Arlington
641 posts, read 494,854 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of them that stay move to the Inland Empire region of Southern CA. So, places like Rancho Cucamonga, Rialto, Fontana, San Bernardino, Ontario, Riverside, etc., have seen an increase in their Black pipulation in recent years.

Oh. Ok. Ill hv to check it out nxt time im there. I remember deydey and his pops moved to rancho cucamonga when his cousin craig visited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top