Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 01:31 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
No, Houston's black population isn't declining in the city.
No, I was asking if Houston has ever been a majority Black city? Or at least had a Black plurality?

Quote:
The identity is there. For Houston to have a larger Hispanic population than its black population, the black population here has more power and influences Houston's culture more. If Houston's Hispanic population was half of what it is, Houston would definitely be with ATL and DC, but even with a large Hispanic population, Houston definitely give the two a run for their money.
I've never really known or heard of Houston being identified as a Black city the way Atlanta and DC, or even cities like New Orleans and Memphis, are. That usually comes along with having a majority Black population for some time and longstanding Black political leadership.

Quote:
DFW seems very white; most of the blacks are congregated in the south side. In Houston, blacks are all over, giving the illusion that Houston has way more blacks than what the population suggests. Houston is pretty much the black Mecca of Texas if you will.
I can see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 01:38 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, I was asking if Houston has ever been a majority Black city? Or at least had a Black plurality?

I've never really known or heard of Houston being identified as a Black city the way Atlanta and DC, or even cities like New Orleans and Memphis, are. That usually comes along with having a majority Black population for some time and longstanding Black political leadership.

I can see that.
Yes, Houston has. The Hispanic surge is pretty recent.

I've heard Houston was a black city long before I moved there.

Have you been to Houston before?

Old 09-18-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, Houston has. The Hispanic surge is pretty recent.

I've heard Houston was a black city long before I moved there.
Interesting. It must have been a long time ago though, because it has only been 25-27% Black since 1980 at least. http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/De..._1980-2010.pdf

Quote:
Have you been to Houston before?
Yes; I'm not intimately familiar with it and didn't get a chance to thoroughly explore though.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Interesting. It must have been a long time ago though, because it has only been 25-27% Black since 1980 at least. http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/De..._1980-2010.pdf

Yes; I'm not intimately familiar with it and didn't get a chance to thoroughly explore though.
Didn't you ask if blacks were the largest minority?

Old 09-18-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Didn't you ask if blacks were the largest minority?
No, I asked if it was ever a majority Black city like Atlanta and DC are, or were until very recently, or had a Black plurality (Blacks constituting the largest overall racial group in the city but under 50%).

In the absence of that, or at least coming very close to being 50% Black, it's hard for me to imagine such as city as a "Black city." It may have a visible Black presence, but a "Black city" to me is very close to or majority Black.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:01 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
It would shock me if Houston ever was a majority Black or plurality black city. It certainly won't ever happen again if it did. As far as the Black "mecca" of Texas. I guess Houston would win this. It's not head and shoulders over DFW but socially in Texas, Houston is the more popular metro. Note though that DFW's black population has grown faster than Houston's Black population the last 25 years. But Houston's Hispanic population and influence is going to rapidly grow in the next 10 years. By 2020, there could be over 2.7 million Hispanics to 1.3 million Blacks.

BTW, Austin is no match for Houston and DFW when it comes to Black population, influence, presence, etc. in Texas.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
The blacks I am friends with in Nashville love it here, blacks are pretty religious here thou especially the Southern Baptists. People I talk to that are black that are not from Nashville think its a hick city but its really not.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
No, I asked if it was ever a majority Black city like Atlanta and DC are, or were until very recently, or had a Black plurality (Blacks constituting the largest overall racial group in the city but under 50%).

In the absence of that, or at least coming very close to being 50% Black, it's hard for me to imagine such as city as a "Black city." It may have a visible Black presence, but a "Black city" to me is very close to or majority Black.
Sorry. I read your post wrong.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry. I read your post wrong.
No worries.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:24 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:

meetoo. thats why i discount nyc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City