Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 02:10 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Very Slim. No Question. But are we just going to talk about clubs?
When I go to Buckhead, I don't see mostly Black restaurants and mostly White restaurants. I usually see a good mixture of everything because that's where a lot of the nicer restaurants are.

You're really not going to go anywhere in the U.S. and see a lot of Black-White mixing (unfortunately). You typically only see that in select pockets of liberal Bohemia (Brooklyn, maybe Oakland, etc.). In a city like London, you notice it on a much larger scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 02:25 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
When I go to Buckhead, I don't see mostly Black restaurants and mostly White restaurants. I usually see a good mixture of everything because that's where a lot of the nicer restaurants are.

You're really not going to go anywhere in the U.S. and see a lot of Black-White mixing (unfortunately). You typically only see that in select pockets of liberal Bohemia (Brooklyn, maybe Oakland, etc.). In a city like London, you notice it on a much larger scale.

Houston was really great for what your describing. MIA, LA, OAK, Toronto also seem to have more of an integrated vibe. But for the most part you are right that it is unfortunately not the norm in the USA.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:29 PM

640 posts, read 1,296,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Blacks with a Bachelor's Degree or Higher by Zip Code

Philadelphia (Center City, Art Museum, Northern Liberties, University City):

19102 (68) (0.2 sq. mi.)
19103 (449) (0.6 sq. mi.)
19107 (177) (0.5 sq. mi.)
19106 (191) (0.8 sq. mi.)
19130 (1,128) (1.3 sq. mi.)
19123 (555) (1.3 sq. mi.)
19104 (1,122) (3.0 sq. mi.)

Total: 3,690 (16.2%)(7.7 sq. mi.)
These Numbers are cool where do you get this from?

In philly I would think more bachelor degree holders would be in mt.airy,cheltenham and maybe wyncote area or ardmore,wynewood. or the other surrounding suburbs. since most of philly wealth is in its suburbs.

I'm Interested in which of top 10 cities in america has the largest black middle class. Middle class defined as 75,000-250,000 a year of household income. I would want the MSA numbers as well.

Or which cities have highest black amount of black bachelor's degrees holders by MSA.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Houston was really great for what your describing. MIA, LA, OAK, Toronto also seem to have more of an integrated vibe. But for the most part you are right that it is unfortunately not the norm in the USA.
Maybe. I'm not familiar with Houston. I've seen a stat for the U.K. saying that 51% of Blacks there are in interracial relationships.

One in 10 couples now ethnically mixed | Daily Mail Online

I don't know if that's true or not but the number of interracial relationships definitely slaps you in the face like a bag of bricks as soon as you get off your flight at Heathrow. London has this sense of being "open" that you really don't get anywhere in the States, imo.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:42 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post

In philly I would think more bachelor degree holders would be in mt.airy,cheltenham and maybe wyncote area or ardmore,wynewood. or the other surrounding suburbs. since most of philly wealth is in its suburbs.

I'm Interested in which of top 10 cities in america has the largest black middle class. Middle class defined as 75,000-250,000 a year of household income. I would want the MSA numbers as well.

Or which cities have highest black amount of black bachelor's degrees holders by MSA.

Thanks
Just to give a frame of reference, the national median household income is $53,046(2009-2013 info). QuickFacts

From yesterday: Median household income basically flat last year - MarketWatch

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-17-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post

Thanks
American Factfinder.

Yes, there are more degree holders in places like Mt. Airy and Cheltenham. I was just focusing on areas where younger professionals are more likely to be found.

For Black educational attainment by MSA, see the link below.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/39810182-post163.html

Old 09-17-2015, 03:52 PM

So are there any Black-owned coffee shops in any of these "meccas"?

Old 09-17-2015, 06:12 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I consider cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, and Detroit to be legacy Black meccas. They aren't the draws they once were, but they have history and culture that can't easily be discounted.

I also think that, in the present, there's a clear distinction between Atlanta and DC and other cities that are big draws for Blacks these days such as Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, etc. I wouldn't personally use the term "mecca" for the latter grouping, but as I said earlier, that descriptor is not going to carry as much weight going forward as it has historically anyway.
I would add Houston to the Atlanta and DC group. I live in Houston and have lived in Atlanta, so I'm positive about my opinion, and no one can take that away from me.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:25 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I would add Houston to the Atlanta and DC group. I live in Houston and have lived in Atlanta, so I'm positive about my opinion, and no one can take that away from me.
From any objective stat you can find (population, population growth, rates of educational attainment, rates of business ownership, political leadership, etc.) to more subjective things (music, media, history, etc.), Houston is clearly a step below Atlanta and DC, but still relatively high, in terms of all things Black. I mean before Houston elected its first (and so far, only) Black mayor in the late 90's, it was the largest city in the nation to have never done so. By that time, Atlanta had already had six straight mayoral terms with an African American in the office, DC had four straight mayoral terms with an African American in the office, and both have had an African American mayor since. Atlanta and DC are home to the top-ranked and most notable HBCUs, and both have a more impactful history that pertains to African Americans in particular. Houston is no slouch and is up there, but by most standards, it's not quite in the Atlanta/DC category.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:33 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From any objective stat you can find (population, population growth, rates of educational attainment, rates of business ownership, political leadership, etc.) to more subjective things (music, media, history, etc.), Houston is clearly a step below Atlanta and DC, but still relatively high, in terms of all things Black. I mean before Houston elected its first (and so far, only) Black mayor in the late 90's, it was the largest city in the nation to have never done so. By that time, Atlanta had already had six straight mayoral terms with an African American in the office, DC had four straight mayoral terms with an African American in the office, and both have had an African American mayor since. Atlanta and DC are home to the top-ranked and most notable HBCUs, and both have a more impactful history that pertains to African Americans in particular. Houston is no slouch and is up there, but by most standards, it's not quite in the Atlanta/DC category.
Sorry, I live here. To each his own though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City