Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern influence?
Baltimore 40 35.40%
St. Louis 73 64.60%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:00 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I am serious, I've driven 95 from Philadelphia all the way to Jacksonville, and Baltimore and DC are the Northeast especially culturally. It isn't until south of Quantico,VA that you escape that NE sphere of influence
How do you mean culturally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:22 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
How do you mean culturally?
I mean as far as accents, clothing, lifestyle, etc.

Baltimore and Washington have WAY MORE in common with Philadelphia, New York and Boston, than they do with Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Memphis or New Orleans

Old 07-06-2016, 01:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:

Baltimore and Washington have WAY MORE in common with Philadelphia, New York and Boston, than they do with Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Memphis or New Orleans
What does any of that have to do with your statement that "none of Maryland is the south"?????

Old 07-06-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What does any of that have to do with your statement that "none of Maryland is the south"?????
If you wanted to say that DelMarVa is the south, then it is still cut off from the rest of the region by Greater Baltimore&Greater Washington, I like to view a region as completely connected

Old 07-06-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Accents? I didn't know that Baltimore and Washington spoke in the same accent as Boston or New York, two cities that don't have the same accent? What do you mean by this?

Clothing? Fashion in Maryland isn't even the same as fashion in Philly. Heck, when you get to counties in Western Maryland near DC people dress different than people in Baltimore.

Lifestyle? As in the slow pace of Baltimore? Even DC is fast paced compared to Bmore.

Quote:
Ok such as...

Old 07-06-2016, 02:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
If you wanted to say that DelMarVa is the south, then it is still cut off from the rest of the region by Greater Baltimore&Greater Washington, I like to view a region as completely connected
All of Maryland isn't part of Greater Baltimore or Greater Washington though. To say that the Eastern Shore isn't Southern is pretty off-base.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Accents? I didn't know that Baltimore and Washington spoke in the same accent as Boston or New York, two cities that don't have the same accent? What do you mean by this?

Clothing? Fashion in Maryland isn't even the same as fashion in Philly. Heck, when you get to counties in Western Maryland near DC people dress different than people in Baltimore.

Lifestyle? As in the slow pace of Baltimore? Even DC is fast paced compared to Bmore.

Ok such as...
You are all over the place here, it is hard to keep track of your ideas. Are you honestly trying to say that you think Baltimore and Washington are southern cities? Because I will never agree to that having been to them, and having been to the real south (places like Mississippi,Alabama,Louisiana). They are northeastern, get over it already.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
You are all over the place here, it is hard to keep track of your ideas. Are you honestly trying to say that you think Baltimore and Washington are southern cities? Because I will never agree to that having been to them, and having been to the real south (places like Mississippi,Alabama,Louisiana). They are northeastern, get over it already.
I'm all over the place? You're the one who made these points and I merely asked you to back them up!

Nobody said they are Southern. But to say they are Northern/ Northeastern is inaccurate too. Why don't you provide examples instead of just post and run?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I'm all over the place? You're the one who made these points and I merely asked you to back them up!

Nobody said they are Southern. But to say they are Northern/ Northeastern is inaccurate too. Why don't you provide examples instead of just post and run?
I don't know what "examples" you want, because it's a matter of perception. And to my PERCEPTION, DC to Greater NY along the 95 corridor is the same region.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I don't know what "examples" you want, because it's a matter of perception. And to my PERCEPTION, DC to Greater NY along the 95 corridor is the same region.
I asked you what examples I want. The ones you originally said. Are you blind or have a terrible memory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City