Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern influence?
Baltimore 40 35.40%
St. Louis 73 64.60%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You noticed how I said mainly nuetralized American? And Baltimore and DC haven't been the south since Antebellum, this is getting stupid now
"Since antebellum" meaning the Biafra War? I know you're not talking about the Civil War.
From Why Should White Guys Have All the Fun?, Reginald F. Lewis's autobiography:
Quote:
The Baltimore of the 1940s and 1950s was a city of gentility, slow living and racial segregation. No one had heard of Martin Luther King... or civil rights... or integration. As in other Southern cities of the time, there were many things black people in Baltimore couldn't do.
At this point, there isn't going to arise a conclusion, because nobody is really making the case for St. Louis. Oh, City-Data...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:31 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Some of us pronounce it the British way, but there are those people who say "coowit". It's not an uncommon phenomenon at all.
Coowit?

Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
You noticed how I said mainly nuetralized American? And Baltimore and DC haven't been the south since Antebellum, this is getting stupid now
Baltimore and DC were definitely Southern at least up to the middle of the 20th century.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Baltimore and DC were definitely Southern at least up to the middle of the 20th century.
The people who still consider them southern are delusional. Like I said, a good chunk of my family is from the real south and would definitely consider both Baltimore and DC part of the northeast

Old 07-10-2016, 09:40 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
Quote:
The people who still consider them southern are delusional. Like I said, a good chunk of my family is from the real south and would definitely consider both Baltimore and DC part of the northeast
Yeah well from my experience of many Southerners, many haven't even BEEN to either. They think that DC and Bmore are within 2 hours of New York or Boston.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:04 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yeah well from my experience of many Southerners, many haven't even BEEN to either. They think that DC and Bmore are within 2 hours of New York or Boston.
I'm originally from MD (Baltimore-DC area). I was surprised when I moved to the Midwest how many Midwesterners (Michigan and Illinois) consider the Baltimore-DC area "The South." In fact when the Terps joined the Big Ten a few years ago, many of the radio shows were talking about how college football tradition was changing so much as a "southern" school was joining the Big Ten. In my experience, many Midwesterners use the old Mason-Dixon Line to define what's northern and southern. Many here still consider MD and DC to be southern. I've had a couple of people here in the Midwest who were shocked when I told them how relatively close Baltimore is to Philly.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:42 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
After some research it has been determined that St Louis is in fact more southern.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 07-10-2016 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 10:53 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
After some research it has be determined that St Louis is in fact more southern.
What research?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:56 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Interesting points. Could you explain how the culture and accent of Washington is more like Philly's than that of closer city to its south?
The accent of Washington, D.C. is General American. Philly is pretty close to that. Richmond's accent is definitively Southern. There's nothing Southern about a DC accent. I never said you had to agree. You seem more interested in picking a fight though so I'm not going to engage you further.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:02 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
The accent of Washington, D.C. is General American. Philly is pretty close to that. Richmond's accent is definitively Southern. There's nothing Southern about a DC accent. I never said you had to agree. You seem more interested in picking a fight though so I'm not going to engage you further.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City