Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:43 PM

345 posts, read 530,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
Nice. This thread peaks my interest.
rate each city using my criteria

Old 08-27-2016, 09:58 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
^ Lol and Texas thought Dallas and Houston had a rivalry
No one outside of Tennessee really cares about the Nashville Memphis thing they are both fun cities for their size even more fun than some larger cities and they both have issues so can we leave it at that geez
There is no rivalry.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
I didn't say worse in Nashville. I just meant people make Nashville out to be a eutopia, which is actually very high in crime, albeit not like Memphis, but still bad. And you're going to pay good money to get away from it, or have a terrible commute. Just like Memphis.
utopia*

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Quote:
Let's not even begin to compare exhibits and such dedicated to African-American between the two cities.
Yes, let's compare:

Black Pride Events: Nashville and Memphis hold events annually.

Brothers United

Number of Historically Black Colleges and Universities: Nashville has 4. Memphis has 1.

Notable television programs, events, and newspapers dedicated to Black Media:

Nashville has Urban Outlook on News Channel 5+, the Tennessee Tribune, the International Black Film Festival and the Nashville Association of Black Journalists. Memphis has Bounce Memphis, the Memphis Association of Black Journalists and the notable Memphis Black Expo.

Museums: Memphis has a collection of smaller buildings and the Lorraine Motel where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was murdered as well as the Stax Museum. Nashville is building a large museum downtown called the National Museum of African American Music. The project is part of a larger mixed use development on the grounds of the old convention center.

National Civil Rights Museum | At the Lorraine Motel

Home - Stax Museum

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places...s/47/nashville

Nashville is home to many festivals, establishments, colleges and universities, exhibits, and museums dedicated to black culture.

Nashville Info Kit - Multicultural Events, Attractions, & Points of Interest | Visit Nashville, TN - Music City

Mt. Zion Baptist Church of Nashville, TN

Quote:
But you're right, there are idiots over there. There are idiots over here in Nashville. And good people in both. And you are referencing 20+ years ago, how is that even relevant now? I'm sure Memphians have been humbled in a lot of ways since then. I haven't heard anything close to that over there.
Yes they have.

Last edited by Yac; 09-09-2016 at 06:41 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 10:05 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
This thread.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:07 PM

247 posts, read 336,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
utopia*

Yes, let's compare:

Black Pride Events: Nashville and Memphis hold events annually.

Brothers United

Number of Historically Black Colleges and Universities: Nashville has 4. Memphis has 1.

Notable television programs, events, and newspapers dedicated to Black Media:

Nashville has Urban Outlook on News Channel 5+, the Tennessee Tribune, the International Black Film Festival and the Nashville Association of Black Journalists. Memphis has Bounce Memphis, the Memphis Association of Black Journalists and the notable Memphis Black Expo.

Museums: Memphis has a collection of smaller buildings and the Lorraine Motel where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was murdered as well as the Stax Museum. Nashville is building a large museum downtown called the National Museum of African American Music. The project is part of a larger mixed use development on the grounds of the old convention center.

National Civil Rights Museum | At the Lorraine Motel

Home - Stax Museum

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places...s/47/nashville

Nashville is home to many festivals, establishments, colleges and universities, exhibits, and museums dedicated to black culture.

Nashville Info Kit - Multicultural Events, Attractions, & Points of Interest | Visit Nashville, TN - Music City

Mt. Zion Baptist Church of Nashville, TN

Yes they have.
The last point says a lot. If I had met the people you described from Memphis, I'd hate it too. But it sounds like that was a while ago. My generation grew up knowing the struggles Memphis was enduring, experiencing the recession, etc. I'm sure there are some older boneheads who disdain Nashville for its growth, but not a single person my age feels that way.

Sticking to my own age group in my profession, I feel like people from Memphis are more modest, laid back, and sociable. I feel like that's the only fair comparison I can make, but overall, I'd recommend Nashville as a blind move over it any day. But for a young professional who wants a good social life, I'd recommend Austin over Nashville. It seems more open-minded and progressive at this point, making friends should be easy there.

Last edited by Yac; 09-09-2016 at 06:40 AM..

Old 10-30-2016, 03:42 PM

97 posts, read 122,869 times
Austin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Those cities

Old 10-30-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
That was in 2013. Not only has it grown, but real estate prices have shot up since then, leading many newcomers to have to live in places like Clarksville, Murphreesboro, and other places which aren't ideal for a commute.
A lot of transplants actually live downtown or in Williamson County. Coming from a stagnant city to a growing one is probably overwhelming.

Quote:
I like Nashville fine, but I can acknowledge a city's faults at the same time (I'm from Memphis, after all).But there seems to be more hesitation for people from Nashville to visit Memphis, which I guess I get.
Now it all makes sense about your comments on Nashville.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:31 PM

247 posts, read 336,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
A lot of transplants actually live downtown or in Williamson County. Coming from a stagnant city to a growing one is probably overwhelming.

Now it all makes sense about your comments on Nashville.
Nobody in Memphis dislikes or envies Nashville at all. In fact, I heard nothing but great things from people in the area when I told them my plans to move to Nashville.

Now when I told people in Nashville that I was moving back to Memphis, it was a completely different reaction. I've never heard such rude, nasty comments about another place, especially from people in a city which has a reputation for being so friendly and kind. I'm no fan of Nashville, but I certainly have more consideration than to insult it to the people who live there and do enjoy it.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:12 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
Austin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Those cities
Nashville>>>>>>>>>Memphis >>>>>>>≥>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>That City. Texas As A State is just to bland for me,

I see why People in Nashville have a uppity attitude toward Memphis, Nashville is Seriously a Cool City, But Hey Memphis is Constantly improving, so I give it its props, I just think It's So Cool Tennessee has So Many Colorful Soulful Cities, Not many States can claim that, Tennessee's Special

Old 10-30-2016, 09:29 PM

345 posts, read 530,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Nashville>>>>>>>>>Memphis >>>>>>>≥>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>That City. Texas As A State is just to bland for me,

I see why People in Nashville have a uppity attitude toward Memphis, Nashville is Seriously a Cool City, But Hey Memphis is Constantly improving, so I give it its props, I just think It's So Cool Tennessee has So Many Colorful Soulful Cities, Not many States can claim that, Tennessee's Special
I agree with you, espeically with that last part. I like how Tennessee got all these different big cities that are all tourist attractions and have soul. Not alotta states have that. Glad we're not like Georgia, Illinois, or Massachusetts where one city dominates the whole state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City