Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 10:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
Nobody in Memphis dislikes or envies Nashville at all. In fact, I heard nothing but great things from people in the area when I told them my plans to move to Nashville.

Now when I told people in Nashville that I was moving back to Memphis, it was a completely different reaction. I've never heard such rude, nasty comments about another place, especially from people in a city which has a reputation for being so friendly and kind. I'm no fan of Nashville, but I certainly have more consideration than to insult it to the people who live there and do enjoy it.

When I was in school in Knoxville, I had a few friends and a lot of acquaintances from Memphis. Some of them most definitely disliked Nashville. One friend even told me he hated it, though he couldn't seem to come up with a good reason for it (I would chalk that up to rivalry conditioning, as I had similar feelings about Memphis when I was younger). It's hard to get a grasp of envy, though, because very few people will admit that if they do indeed feel that way. Go read the comments section of a CA article about Nashville.

That said, I'm not surprised about the reaction of saying you were moving back to Memphis. Some residents here are very dismissive of Memphis and have a generally negative view of it. I could see how a Memphian would grow tired of some of the stupid comments you're bound to hear from time to time.

The Memphis/Nashville rivalry isn't what it used to be, but it still exists. IMO, there is an irrational distaste of one another between the two cities. It's a sibling rivalry.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:05 AM

247 posts, read 336,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

When I was in school in Knoxville, I had a few friends and a lot of acquaintances from Memphis. Some of them most definitely disliked Nashville. One friend even told me he hated it, though he couldn't seem to come up with a good reason for it (I would chalk that up to rivalry conditioning, as I had similar feelings about Memphis when I was younger). It's hard to get a grasp of envy, though, because very few people will admit that if they do indeed feel that way. Go read the comments section of a CA article about Nashville.

That said, I'm not surprised about the reaction of saying you were moving back to Memphis. Some residents here are very dismissive of Memphis and have a generally negative view of it. I could see how a Memphian would grow tired of some of the stupid comments you're bound to hear from time to time.

The Memphis/Nashville rivalry isn't what it used to be, but it still exists. IMO, there is an irrational distaste of one another between the two cities. It's a sibling rivalry.
I'm sure there are plenty of people in Memphis that dislike Nashville, but for reasons that have little to do with a sibling rivalry. But the comments made by people in Nashville in regards to Memphis went well beyond not liking the city. They were downright hateful, nasty, and in most cases unfounded. And quite inconsiderate, when they were knowingly saying those things to a person from the area.

I know that you've met people from Memphis who disliked Nashville, but I lived there for many years without hearing anything remotely as spiteful as what I heard from Nashville locals about Memphis, and many thought it was really cool that I was moving to Nashville and they thought highly of it.

Memphis has a lot of problems, but I enjoyed living there more than Nashville. Austin seemed right up my alley, but the COL and traffic sound like they've gotten much worse since I last visited.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:27 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

The CA? As in the Commercial Appeal, the Memphis Paper ?? No No The Tennessean, Now that's a anti Memphis Paper, The Commercial Appeal may have few random comments nasty about Nashville BUT THE TENNESSEAN Takes out Full Pages nasty about Memphis , Remember these good ol Tennessean Front Page Stories " Good News IKEA is coming to Tennessee, Bad News it's in Memphis" ...and "And We"re Number 1 Memphis can suck it" lol so you cant say nothing about the Commercial Appeal

Old 10-31-2016, 05:09 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
All I will say about the Memphis/Nashville rivalry is this: a city whose leaders and most of its citizens make a conscious decision to purposely keep it stagnant or growing at a snail's pace for DECADES while it's cross state rival city and other peer cities and medium sized cities across the country boom and shoot pass it in growth and improvement, is pretty much ASKING for all the negative comments and criticisms it gets from people in other parts of the state and country. Especially when people from that purposely slow and stagnant city constantly try to toot their own horn like their city is just as good as or better than all of the other cities that have made vast improvements and become desirable and competitive for the 21st Century, then turn around, scratch their heads, and go, "Why is everybody always picking on us?!?"

Last edited by NoClueWho; 10-31-2016 at 05:33 AM..

Old 10-31-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
All I will say about the Memphis/Nashville rivalry is this: a city whose leaders and most of its citizens make a conscious decision to purposely keep it stagnant or growing at a snail's pace for DECADES while it's cross state rival city and other peer cities and medium sized cities across the country boom and shoot pass it in growth and improvement, is pretty much ASKING for all the negative comments and criticisms it gets from people in other parts of the state and country. Especially when people from that purposely slow and stagnant city constantly try to toot their own horn like their city is just as good as or better than all of the other cities that have made vast improvements and become desirable and competitive for the 21st Century, then turn around, scratch their heads, and go, "Why is everybody always picking on us?!?"
How exact is it the citizens' fault? Austin would like to remain a smaller city, how is that strategy working out for them? Nobody wants there to be a high crime rate in their own city, nor high poverty rates, etc. Nashville nor any other city made "a conscious decision to grow", it just comes down to one factor-money. Memphis has less of it, so less growth.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:52 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,788 times
Quote:
Nashville nor any other city made "a conscious decision to grow", it just comes down to one factor-money. Memphis has less of it, so less growth.
I disagree with that. It comes down to electing competent people who have a vision to invest and grow the city more than anything else. I have seen many things not come to fruition in Nashville due to lack of funding. We have limited resources when it comes to that. No state income tax, lower property tax rate compared to many other cities. I know the sales tax is high (but it's high all over the state). Still..that doesn't generate the kind of money you need to do really big things. You have to work hard to make the most of what you've got.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:53 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
I disagree with that. It comes down to electing competent people who have a vision to invest and grow the city more than anything else. I have seen many things not come to fruition in Nashville due to lack of funding. We have limited resources when it comes to that. No state income tax, lower property tax rate compared to many other cities. I know the sales tax is high (but it's high all over the state). Still..that doesn't generate the kind of money you need to do really big things. You have to work hard to make the most of what you've got.
Exactly. It's absolutely the citizens' fault when they keep on voting in the same/same types of, incompetent, no-vision having politicians to represent them. And it's the elected officials' and city leaders' job to put the city in a position where it can grow economically and thrive instead of just simply being written off as "poor" and "not having money" all the time. For example, what kinds of jobs are city leaders working to bring in to diversify the city's economy? As long as city leaders (and citizens) are content with their city being a big warehouse town with low paying jobs, then their city will always be poor, high in crime, and behind the times and will never grow and thrive. Especially not in the 21st Century.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:14 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
How exact is it the citizens' fault? Austin would like to remain a smaller city, how is that strategy working out for them? Nobody wants there to be a high crime rate in their own city, nor high poverty rates, etc. Nashville nor any other city made "a conscious decision to grow", it just comes down to one factor-money. Memphis has less of it, so less growth.
While I do not by the notion that it is entirely the citizens fault, I have to disagree that the city leaders could in fact do much more to help Memphis out. Cities do make the conscious effort to promote growth, that's called economics. Fast growing cities such as Austin, Charlotte, Nashville, and Raleigh etc. laid the groundwork a long time ago, and now bear the fruits of their labor. Those cities had comprehensive plans and a vision for growth. They didn't allow their cities to decline into shambles, and blame everyone else. Beyond money, Memphis has many other deep seeded issues that needs to be tackled.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:28 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
The CA? As in the Commercial Appeal, the Memphis Paper ?? No No The Tennessean, Now that's a anti Memphis Paper, The Commercial Appeal may have few random comments nasty about Nashville BUT THE TENNESSEAN Takes out Full Pages nasty about Memphis , Remember these good ol Tennessean Front Page Stories " Good News IKEA is coming to Tennessee, Bad News it's in Memphis" ...and "And We"re Number 1 Memphis can suck it" lol so you cant say nothing about the Commercial Appeal
I read the comments in the Commercial Appeal, and viewed the Memphis local news stations when IKEA was announced. The residents and city leaders were actually bragging and calling Nashvillians haters, so there was negativity on both sides. I also want to address the false narrative that somehow IKEA chose Memphis over Nashville, which was not the case. They never implied either city was better than the other, only that land was much cheaper and had good visibilty in Memphis. They also stated they were actively scouting sites in Nashville for some time, and that Nashville has been on their radar for many years.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I read the comments in the Commercial Appeal, and viewed the Memphis local news stations when IKEA was announced. The residents and city leaders were actually bragging and calling Nashvillians haters, so there was negativity on both sides. I also want to address the false narrative that somehow IKEA chose Memphis over Nashville, which was not the case. They never implied either city was better than the other, only that land was much cheaper and had good visibilty in Memphis. They also stated they were actively scouting sites in Nashville for some time, and that Nashville has been on their radar for many years.
To be fair, most people who post in the comment sections in internet articles are trolls, complainers, or just plain idiots. Usually a combination of all 3. I have seen derogatory things written in the Tennessean about Memphis, but I'm not going to knock the entire city based solely on the contributions of one or a few people. It's more of what I have noticed among people that I am around in each city, and there is much more contempt on the Nashville side than any harsh feelings that people in Memphis have towards Nashville. The negative articles in the Tennessean and comments on the internet just supplement the views I notice most people in Nashville have regarding Memphis.

I agree that the grown-ups in office failed the city long ago. But the belief that everyone is alright with it is completely false. Memphis has around $8.8 billion worth of projects in the city going on, so they're dedicated to improving the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City