Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:20 PM

730 posts, read 814,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
Nobody in Memphis dislikes or envies Nashville at all. In fact, I heard nothing but great things from people in the area when I told them my plans to move to Nashville.

Now when I told people in Nashville that I was moving back to Memphis, it was a completely different reaction. I've never heard such rude, nasty comments about another place, especially from people in a city which has a reputation for being so friendly and kind. I'm no fan of Nashville, but I certainly have more consideration than to insult it to the people who live there and do enjoy it.
Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of people in Memphis that dislike Nashville, but for reasons that have little to do with a sibling rivalry. But the comments made by people in Nashville in regards to Memphis went well beyond not liking the city. They were downright hateful, nasty, and in most cases unfounded. And quite inconsiderate, when they were knowingly saying those things to a person from the area.

I know that you've met people from Memphis who disliked Nashville, but I lived there for many years without hearing anything remotely as spiteful as what I heard from Nashville locals about Memphis, and many thought it was really cool that I was moving to Nashville and they thought highly of it.

Memphis has a lot of problems, but I enjoyed living there more than Nashville. Austin seemed right up my alley, but the COL and traffic sound like they've gotten much worse since I last visited.
You do like to spout nonsense about Nashville until you're caught, and then you backpedal.

There are plenty of people in Memphis who dislike Nashville, and it's been that way for decades. I was living in Memphis when the Houston Oilers announced they were moving to Nashville. The vitriol from Memphians was palpable, and it wasn't aimed at the NFL or at Bud Adams, but rather at Nashville.

Back in the Memphis glory days, when Boss Crump ruled Memphis and the rest of the state's politics with an iron fist, Memphis was Tennessee's premier city. It had the most money, the largest airport, the tallest buildings, the busiest downtown, the toniest country clubs. It was the center of business and commerce not just for Tennessee but for two other states, Missisippi and Arkansas. Then Nashville started making very smart decisions (metro government, for starters) and elected leaders with true vision. Meanwhile, Memphis became mired in awful race relations and languished with horribly corrupt politicans, while those with money and education fled the city by the thousands.

In 1994, Shelby County had $7.74 billion in bank deposits while Davidson County had $7.2 billion. Today, Davidson County has $30.2 billion in bank deposits while Shelby County has $23.1 billion. Considering Shelby County has roughly 50 percent more people than Davidson County, the widening wealth gap between the two cities is even more staggering. In that same time period, the Memphis MSA went from 1.07 million to 1.34 million, while the Nashville MSA went from 985,000 to 1.83 million. Clearly, there's been a shift so that now Nashville has the largest airport, the tallest buildings, the busiest downtown, the toniest country clubs. Here's another example which illustrates the difference between the two cities: Nashville is spending $1 billion to expand its airport while Memphis is spending $114 million to shrink its airport.

I loved the time I spent in Memphis, but let's not pretend that there's no animosity from Memphians towards Nashville. I remember very well one Commercial Appeal sports writer who, after Nashville landed the Houston Oilers, opined that Nashville was nothing more than a convenient pit stop between Memphis and Knoxville. And that was probably the kindest thing I read in the C-A about Nashville.

I'm glad to see that Memphis is finally seeing some growth (oh what would that city be without FedEx and St Jude's?) but compared to happening boomtowns like Austin and Nashville, Memphis is barely keeping its head above water.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:52 PM

247 posts, read 336,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
You do like to spout nonsense about Nashville until you're caught, and then you backpedal.

There are plenty of people in Memphis who dislike Nashville, and it's been that way for decades. I was living in Memphis when the Houston Oilers announced they were moving to Nashville. The vitriol from Memphians was palpable, and it wasn't aimed at the NFL or at Bud Adams, but rather at Nashville.

Back in the Memphis glory days, when Boss Crump ruled Memphis and the rest of the state's politics with an iron fist, Memphis was Tennessee's premier city. It had the most money, the largest airport, the tallest buildings, the busiest downtown, the toniest country clubs. It was the center of business and commerce not just for Tennessee but for two other states, Missisippi and Arkansas. Then Nashville started making very smart decisions (metro government, for starters) and elected leaders with true vision. Meanwhile, Memphis became mired in awful race relations and languished with horribly corrupt politicans, while those with money and education fled the city by the thousands.

In 1994, Shelby County had $7.74 billion in bank deposits while Davidson County had $7.2 billion. Today, Davidson County has $30.2 billion in bank deposits while Shelby County has $23.1 billion. Considering Shelby County has roughly 50 percent more people than Davidson County, the widening wealth gap between the two cities is even more staggering. In that same time period, the Memphis MSA went from 1.07 million to 1.34 million, while the Nashville MSA went from 985,000 to 1.83 million. Clearly, there's been a shift so that now Nashville has the largest airport, the tallest buildings, the busiest downtown, the toniest country clubs. Here's another example which illustrates the difference between the two cities: Nashville is spending $1 billion to expand its airport while Memphis is spending $114 million to shrink its airport.

I loved the time I spent in Memphis, but let's not pretend that there's no animosity from Memphians towards Nashville. I remember very well one Commercial Appeal sports writer who, after Nashville landed the Houston Oilers, opined that Nashville was nothing more than a convenient pit stop between Memphis and Knoxville. And that was probably the kindest thing I read in the C-A about Nashville.

I'm glad to see that Memphis is finally seeing some growth (oh what would that city be without FedEx and St Jude's?) but compared to happening boomtowns like Austin and Nashville, Memphis is barely keeping its head above water.
And you seem intent on referring to things that happened 20+ years ago, and have absolutely nothing to do with the more recent generation of people in the city, nor the attitudes they have. The only thing they hold against Nashville is the fact that their 2-3 win football team is forced upon them each and every week on CBS (Just kidding- I've become a Titans fan since Jon Robinson took over. Maybe he can turn the city of Memphis around once he's done with the Titans).

Old 10-31-2016, 01:06 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Austin

Old 10-31-2016, 05:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Wow!! Very impressive. Austin really does kick as$ in every category, doesn't it. Cool!!. If only Emmylou Harris would move to Austin, we'd have Willie and Emmylou in the same city, then Austin would be absolutely perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
No.

Economy

Nominal Gross Domestic Product (GDP), 2014:
1. Greater Austin MSA: $115.262 Billion
2. Greater Nashville MSA: $106.695 Billion
3. Greater Memphis MSA: $69.882 Billion

Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP), 2014:
1. Greater Austin MSA: $106.704 Billion
2. Greater Nashville MSA: $98.467 Billion
3. Greater Memphis MSA: $63.611 Billion

Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) Growth in from 2013 to 2014 (Percentages):
1. Greater Austin MSA: + 6.1%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: + 3.6%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: + 0.4%

http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0915.pdf

Job Growth in the last 12 months from June 2015 - June 2016 (Numerical):
1. Greater Austin: + 38,400
2. Greater Nashville: + 28,200
3. Greater Memphis: + 8,900

Job Growth in the last 12 from June 2015 - June 2016 months (Percentage):
1. Greater Austin MSA: + 4.0%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: + 3.1%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: + 1.4%

Table 3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area

Unemployment Rate for Large Metropolitan Areas, June 2016:
1. Greater Austin MSA: 3.3%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: 4.0%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: 5.7%

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Growth:

Population Growth in City Proper from 2010-2015 (Numerical):
1. Austin: + 141,440
2. Nashville: + 53,382
3. Memphis: + 8,920

Population Growth in City Proper from 2010-2015 (Percentage):
1. Austin: + 17.89%
2. Nashville: + 8.88%
3. Memphis: + 1.37%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Population Growth in Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) from 2010-2015 (Numerical):
1. Greater Austin MSA: + 284,571
2. Greater Nashville MSA: + 159,455
3. Greater Memphis MSA: + 19,298

Population Growth in Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) from 2010-2015 (Percentage):
1. Greater Austin MSA: + 16.58%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: + 9.54%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: + 1.46%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

No.

Educational Attainment Level (High School Graduation Rate), 2014:
1. Greater Austin MSA: 88.90%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: 88.00%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: 86.30%

Educational Attainment Level (Bachelors Degree or higher), 2014:
1. Greater Austin MSA: 41.50%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: 32.10%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: 26.40%

American FactFinder - Results

Top Undergraduate Colleges & Universities in the World, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#30: University of Texas -- Austin)
2. Greater Nashville (#74 Vanderbilt University)
3. Greater Memphis (None in the Top 100)

Top World University Rankings, p8 | US News Best Global Universities

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Business, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#16: University of Texas -- Austin)
2. Greater Nashville (#22: Vanderbilt University)
3. Greater Memphis (None in the Top 25)

Best Business School Rankings | MBA Program Rankings | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Engineering, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#10: University of Texas -- Austin)
2. Greater Nashville (None in the Top 25)

Best Engineering School Rankings | Engineering Program Rankings | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Pharmacy, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#3: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Health Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Law, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#15: University of Texas -- Austin)
2. Greater Nashville (#16: Vanderbilt University)

Best Law School Rankings | Law Program Rankings | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Computer Science, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#9: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Sciences Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Chemistry, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#12: University of Texas -- Austin)

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Math, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#14: University of Texas -- Austin)

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Physics, 2016:

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Political Science, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#21: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Social Sciences Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for History, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#17: University of Texas -- Austin)

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Psychology, 2016:

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Sociology, 2016:

Top 25 Graduate Schools for English, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#17: University of Texas -- Austin)

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Social Work, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#7: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Health Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Fine Arts, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#6: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Graduate Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Education, 2016:
1. Greater Nashville (#5: Vanderbilt University)
2. Greater Austin (#10: University of Texas -- Austin)

Best Education School Rankings | Education Program Rankings | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Medical Research, 2016:
1. Greater Nashville (#15: Vanderbilt University)
2. Greater Austin (None in the Top 25)

Best Medical Schools | Research Rankings | Top Medical Schools for Research | US News Best Graduate Schools

Austin, both city and its suburbs, have among the best public school systems for a major American city in America (K-12). That's quite impressive actually and the students are among the most educated in the country. So it takes that too.

I don't think economy, growth, or education at any level is debatable honestly.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:59 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
To be fair, most people who post in the comment sections in internet articles are trolls, complainers, or just plain idiots. Usually a combination of all 3. I have seen derogatory things written in the Tennessean about Memphis, but I'm not going to knock the entire city based solely on the contributions of one or a few people. It's more of what I have noticed among people that I am around in each city, and there is much more contempt on the Nashville side than any harsh feelings that people in Memphis have towards Nashville. The negative articles in the Tennessean and comments on the internet just supplement the views I notice most people in Nashville have regarding Memphis.

I agree that the grown-ups in office failed the city long ago. But the belief that everyone is alright with it is completely false. Memphis has around $8.8 billion worth of projects in the city going on, so they're dedicated to improving the city.
I haven't heard that figure before, where did you find this number? What are some of the major projects?

Old 11-03-2016, 04:25 PM

672 posts, read 698,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I haven't heard that figure before, where did you find this number? What are some of the major projects?
Sleepy Memphis? $8.8 billion in projects suggests not

Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
Very interesting. I wonder if all of the investment will reduce crime or spark population growth.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:24 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
"Memphis’ Big River Crossing is a Game-Changer."
Memphis

Well this project just Opened in Memphis two weekends ago. Big River Crossing. A Pedestrian/Bicycle Bridge Only. over the Mississippi River, and a new River Trail on the Arkansas side of the River set to open in the Spring. For the first time the public will be able to view Memphis skyline from the Arkansas side of the river similar to how you see the Nashville Skyline from across the river at Nisson Stadium

Old 11-06-2016, 02:42 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
Easy one for me - Nashville.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
"Memphis’ Big River Crossing is a Game-Changer."
Memphis

Well this project just Opened in Memphis two weekends ago. Big River Crossing. A Pedestrian/Bicycle Bridge Only. over the Mississippi River, and a new River Trail on the Arkansas side of the River set to open in the Spring. For the first time the public will be able to view Memphis skyline from the Arkansas side of the river similar to how you see the Nashville Skyline from across the river at Nissan Stadium
It looks like a great project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City