Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best city among these cities ?
Cincinnati 23 9.47%
Cleveland 19 7.82%
Detroit 22 9.05%
Indianapolis 14 5.76%
Kansas City 17 7.00%
Milwaukee 12 4.94%
St. Louis 22 9.05%
Minneapolis 107 44.03%
Omaha 7 2.88%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Minneapolis by a fairly wide margin imo. It bucks the Midwestern trend in a lot of ways in that it has all of the following: economic and population growth, safety, progressive social policies, intelligent urban planning, comparatively little blight, and a nice natural setting. Some other Midwestern cities have some of those characteristics, but none other has all of them.
If Detroit improve by big margin it could be #2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:54 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
If Detroit improve by big margin it could be #2
Detroit was easily #2 until Minneapolis surpassed it. When that happened, I do not know. I wish Detroit could bounce back to a city of 1.8m. Would be nice to have another heavy hitter in the Midwest just so people would stop acting like there's nothing here except Chicago...

Old 05-16-2017, 10:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Detroit was easily #2 until Minneapolis surpassed it. When that happened, I do not know. I wish Detroit could bounce back to a city of 1.8m. Would be nice to have another heavy hitter in the Midwest just so people would stop acting like there's nothing here except Chicago...
Surpassed it in what? They're GDP is about the same. They changed hands a few times in the past decade. Now Minny does have a lower unemployment rate but I don't know where people in this thread get this notion that Metro Detroit still has a bad economy, that was nearly 8 years ago. It isn't Texas but Detroit's economy has been just fine for years now. And I also wish Detroit would again be a city of 1.8 million but you don't need to have that many people in the city limits to be a heavy hitter. The Detroit area is large, fairly diverse, fairly wealthy, big economy, lots of F500 companies, great downtown, great and safe communities, great architecture, 4 (and might be getting 5) sports teams all downtown now, good shopping, good food, lots of nightlife options, lots of culture, lots of history, huge airport, ect. It's arguably the most underrated area in the country. Detroit gets my vote.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 AM

538 posts, read 658,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Surpassed it in what? They're GDP is about the same. They changed hands a few times in the past decade. Now Minny does have a lower unemployment rate but I don't know where people in this thread get this notion that Metro Detroit still has a bad economy, that was nearly 8 years ago. It isn't Texas but Detroit's economy has been just fine for years now. And I also wish Detroit would again be a city of 1.8 million but you don't need to have that many people in the city limits to be a heavy hitter. The Detroit area is large, fairly diverse, fairly wealthy, big economy, lots of F500 companies, great downtown, great and safe communities, great architecture, 4 (and might be getting 5) sports teams all downtown now, good shopping, good food, lots of nightlife options, lots of culture, lots of history, huge airport, ect. It's arguably the most underrated area in the country. Detroit gets my vote.
You know what wasn't mentioned? And the biggest downfall of Detroit: horrendous public transportation, though at least its getting improved. If Detroit can reach Cleveland/St. Louis/ Minneapolis in public transit, watch out, rest of the Midwest

Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
The City of Minneapolis does not face the issues of widespread abandonment/disinvestment that Detroit does. I wholeheartedly agree that Detroit has a lot of fantastic architecture, affluent suburbs, and great entertainment options, but the City of Detroit is a shell of its former self, unfortunately.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The City of Minneapolis does not face the issues of widespread abandonment/disinvestment that Detroit does. I wholeheartedly agree that Detroit has a lot of fantastic architecture, affluent suburbs, and great entertainment options, but the City of Detroit is a shell of its former self, unfortunately.
The city of Detroit still has a population density higher than most cities in the top 25 largest cities. Yeah some parts are only a shell of itself but that does not speak for the entire city, not even close. Yeah, it might have changed quite a bit but a shell it is not.

Last edited by mjlo; 05-17-2017 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: the posts you responded to have been deleted.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Really surprised to see Minneapolis running away with this poll. It's not a bad place, but overall I think lacks the personality of Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:00 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Really surprised to see Minneapolis running away with this poll. It's not a bad place, but overall I think lacks the personality of Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee.
I think that's an unfortunate assessment. Having lived in MSP, and been to all of these other places I find it to have a very similar pre-automotive built environment, but without the declines of the others. To be certain we are all entitled to our opinions, but i'd be curious to know what in your experiences makes you feel it lacks the character of the cities mentioned.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:47 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
University Circle and others near it are great neighborhoods and Cleveland having kept some of its rail transit infrastructure is fantastic. Detroit's strong point is that its downtown still has a very large corporate presence with headquarters of massive companies as well as a very bullish billionaire private investor which has meant downtown Detroit and some of its surrounding neighborhoods have been able to improve at a pace that downtown Cleveland can't quite match. Cleveland's downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods are improving, but still has a ways to go though it's great that the city has other healthy patches of the city outside of the downtown area.
Cleveland, as late as the late 70s/early 80s, had the 3rd highest number Fortune 500 corporate HQs. That diminished substantially when companies like Standard Oil, Republic Steel and TRW where gobbled up and left the area. Downtown through the early 2000s was a ghost town, but has made an amazing recovery in the last 5-7 years as well as a number of close in neighborhoods, like Ohio City, Tremont and University Circle... But I realize a lot of cities are experiencing this kind of growth, too.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It shouldn't be a surprise at all. What is surprising is that people actually think dying and stagnant cities should be considered a 2nd best option. I've been to these cities and they're freakin depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City