Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Kansas City
Austin 178 54.27%
Kansas City 150 45.73%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:58 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Kansas City feels more like a real city, but unfortunately with a real city comes city problems like crime, homelessness, and poverty. Austin just doesn't have the same density and urban feel that Kansas City has.

Austin also has horrible traffic and way overpriced housing. I'm sure many people prefer Austin weather, but I personally could not tolerate the heat in Texas. Also, I missed seasons.

KC is a much better fit for me.
I agree. Kansas City is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 PM

20 posts, read 19,113 times
KC is more established but Austin will probably become a much larger metro than KC in the next 20 years.

Last edited by erath254; 08-22-2018 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-23-2018, 02:39 PM

511 posts, read 399,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erath254 View Post
KC is more established but Austin will probably become a much larger metro than KC in the next 20 years.
It's growing so fast that the city can't handle the growth.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:11 PM

85 posts, read 91,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
It's growing so fast that the city can't handle the growth.
They need more public transit and I35 needs rebuilding.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Economy - Austin
Traffic - Kansas City
Nightlife - Tie
Diversity - NA
Crime - Austin
Climate - Austin
Geography - Austin
Architecture - Kansas City
Urbanity - Kansas City
Sports - Kansas City
Food - Kansas City
Culture - Kansas City
Education - Austin
COL - Kansas City
Quality Of Life - Kansas City
Overall - Kansas City
Been to KC many times, Austin twice. Just love KC. Very down to Earth and nice people, things to do, food. I found Austin to be extremely overrated.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Economy - Austin
Traffic - Kansas City
Nightlife - Tie
Diversity - NA
Crime - Austin
Climate - Austin
Geography - Austin
Architecture - Kansas City
Urbanity - Kansas City
Sports - Kansas City
Food - Kansas City
Culture - Kansas City
Education - Austin
COL - Kansas City
Quality Of Life - Kansas City
Overall - Kansas City
Been to KC many times, Austin twice. Just love KC. Very down to Earth and nice people, things to do, food. I found Austin to be extremely overrated.
I agree

Old 08-29-2018, 06:04 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. Kansas City is best.
Have you ever been to Austin? Or are you just going by what you read on City-Data?

Old 08-29-2018, 09:21 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Have you ever been to Austin? Or are you just going by what you read on City-Data?
I would like to visit Austin sometime. Much of my Mom's side of my family lives in Texas and Louisiana, and their family reunion has been held in Austin for the last three years. Maybe next year's the charm.

But you do know where I'm from, right? You've been there?

The tech economy is hotter in Austin than in Kansas City, but it's my impression that on most if not all of the other counts save climate (unless you, like me, would rather live in a place with four seasons), Kansas City has a leg up over Austin. Yes, Austin is also known for its indie music scene, but it seems jazz is making a comeback in my hometown, and I'd much rather listen to that.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:27 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie 2010 View Post
They need more public transit and I35 needs rebuilding.
Yes on public transit. Every city needs more of that.
Not sure what more can be done with 35. It's already a double-decker with no room for more.
Maybe make the next addition a tunnel?
Or perhaps an obscenely tall, stomach-churning viaduct since Texas thinks it's okay to build those things as tall as skyscrapers.
That state......

Then there's the toll road which some of us outsiders hate.
Just give me a toll booth so I can pay it on the spot and never have to think about it again.

Thinking of this brings out my frustrations of Texas, so Kansas City it is, with it's ambitious, overbuilt, and generally well-planned highway system that makes it far more pleasant to get around in.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:32 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Thinking of this brings out my frustrations of Texas, so Kansas City it is, with it's ambitious, overbuilt, and generally well-planned highway system that makes it far more pleasant to get around in.
I think people tend not to appreciate the role the city's boulevard network plays in making Kansas City far more pleasant to get around in.

These linear parks are both major thoroughfares and closed to truck traffic, which means that you don't get delays due to delivery vehicles on them. They cover the whole of the pre-World War II city and have more recently been extended into the Northland and the areas south of 79th Street (the southern city limit prior to 1944).

They are free-flowing at just about all hours of the day, and they connect many points the freeways don't (for instance, there is no freeway running due south from the southwest corner of the downtown freeway loop, which is as the residents of the city's silk-stocking neighborhoods want it to be [don't get me started on the socioeconomic and racial dimensions of this difference between the city's west side and its east side]). When I lived in the east-side neighborhood of Oak Park, my commute to The Kansas City Star used only the boulevards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City