Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,741,971 times

Advertisements

Mercer Island for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 10:20 AM

821 posts, read 761,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Dunno if it's just me, but I street viewed a little of each of these 3 islands, and Grand Island for sure looks like it has the least charm of these 3 islands. And it looks so heavily underdeveloped, based on the map and satellite images I saw of it on Google.

Grosse Ile looks nice, albeit a little suburban. Mercer Island for sure looks like the most urbanized of the 3, and probably the most desirable. Not sure why anyone would not rank Grand Island in last place, of these 3 islands. Since I saw another poster oddly do so. To each their own, I guess.
Grand Island is still 75% rural, it could have over 70,000 if the island was developed. There has been a slow, but steady population growth. Median household incomes are around 80,000, which is quite high for the metro. It doesn't have much of a village center. Many more strip malls than walkable centers.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Mercer Island for sure.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:48 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,384,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Grand Island is still 75% rural, it could have over 70,000 if the island was developed. There has been a slow, but steady population growth. Median household incomes are around 80,000, which is quite high for the metro. It doesn't have much of a village center. Many more strip malls than walkable centers.
I see. Thanks for explaining Grand Island, to me. I was assuming that island was the most rural, based on looking at satellite images of this island, and from the very few Google street view images I could find of Grand Island. I noticed that most streets, still weren't on street view for whatever reason. In a way I'm not surprised, since I guess Google decided to make that a low priority to photograph for street view mode?

Old 05-28-2017, 04:52 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
I see. Thanks for explaining Grand Island, to me. I was assuming that island was the most rural, based on looking at satellite images of this island, and from the very few Google street view images I could find of Grand Island. I noticed that most streets, still weren't on street view for whatever reason. In a way I'm not surprised, since I guess Google decided to make that a low priority to photograph for street view mode?
Yes, Grand Island is a pretty big island with most of the development being of a suburban built environment. It is in between Buffalo and Niagara Falls and also has this amusement park: Fantasy Island - Amusement Park, Grand Island New York

Old 05-28-2017, 07:17 PM

821 posts, read 761,681 times
Quote:
Suburban Buffalo is really bad with street view. About half of the suvdivisions on Grand Island have been completed since 2000, and for some reason the street view for these subdivisions is really lacking.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:47 PM

8,873 posts, read 6,882,561 times
Rural can be good and urban can be good, but most subdivisions wouldn't be.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:23 AM

30,392 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Mercer Island, Wa is a spectacular location between Seattle & Bellevue and s just a beautiful place. The median house price is $1.4M so that pretty much prices out most people.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
All 3 are lesser known Island municipalities within top 50 metros. All 3 are at least relatively upper middle class.

How would you rank them based upon: location, proximity to things to do, built environment/planning, cost of living, recreational options, to raise a family, as a single person and real/perceived "vibe"?
I can only answer as to Grosse Ile.

Location: Not real sure what is meant here. Weather? Not great, but the natural beauty is unparalelled, and Spring and fall are stunning. Winter is long and dark, but there are many extraordinary beautiful winter days. Lots of unusual weather events (freezing fog, 80 degree temperature swings in a day, thunder snow, ice storms, occaisional winter wonderland mornings beautiful fall colors, awesome powerful thunderstorms, gentle (or raging) sun showers, etc), but natural disater weather is basically never.

Grosse Ile is about 1/3 mile from the Michigan shore and about 2 miles from the Canadian shore. It is in the Detroit river, an international shipping channel. It has been occupied by Americans since 1776 and has some interesitng history. It is roughly 27 miles from downtown Detroit and about 40 miles from Toledo Ohio. 5 hours from Chicago. 4.5 hours from Cincinatti. Maybe 4 hours from the upper peninsula. 97 paddle strokes from Canada's border. 5 hours from Niagra falls, 14 hours from Boston. DTW is 40 minutes away (you can make it in 30 if you want to risk tickets). I guess it is a decent location.

Proximity to things to do. Immdiate proximity - for man things- poor. For nature things (canoing, fishing, water skiing, ice skating, snowmobiling, hiking in the woods, biking, running, etc) - execellent. There is reasonably decent shopping within 15 miles and Wyandotte which has a really fun little downtown is just across the toll bridge. Access is by a toll bridge or the coutny free bridge, or boat or plane, helicopter or blimp.

Distant proximity for man made things to do - surprisingly good. Detroit is 24 or 27 miles away (about 40 minutes), or 14 miles by boat. Detroit has the largest theater district in the US outside of Broadway New York; four highly regarded professional sports teams and another one on the way, one of the best art museums in the world, a high quality professional orchestra, fine dining and a plucky fun and historic downtwon and midtown that keep getting better every month. The Henry Ford and Greenfield villiage, well it takes a while to decribe it fairly, but just say a really cool place in nerby Dearborn. Detroit has Mexican town and Dearborn has a huge middle eastern area (largest in the USA). Then you have the whole Northern Micghian thing, also Michgian's west coast with some of the most beautiful beaches you have ever seen and lots of cute/quaint towns all over the place.

Recreational options - from/on grosse Ile, crew (rowing - boathouse is being developed), Sailing, motorboating, canoing kayaking, fishing (walleye especially), duck and goose hunting, bird watching (cool big birds like bald eagles, turkey vultures, hawks, great blue herons, snowy egrets, swans, as well as a plethora of colorful small birds), horse riding, bicycling, hiking through the woods, walking, running, ice skaing, snowmobiling (on the edges of the river), sledding. There is an indoor tennis center, an equestrian center, a dance school, three golf clubs, three yacht clubs, a hocky rink, outdoor pool, kayak launch, sledding hill, and a small airport (once a navy seaplane base). Crystal Bay (in canadian waters, so less easy to visit than it once was) is a beautiful cove that is a floating party for much of the summer. Almost everyone has a boat or access to a boat of some kind - anything from an 8 foot Kayak or sunfish, to a 110 foot motoryacht or sailboat.

To raise a family - I do not think there is a better place to raise a family. Very community oriented, virtually no crime, 680 acrea of designated greenspace (mostly woods with trails), plus a conservancy area, plus a considerable amount of undeveloped property (woods), loads of deer, bunnies, large birds, some foxes, raccoons, mink, muskrats, reportedly even a beaver. Schools are exemplary and produce a ridiculous number of amazing young people, state champions, etc. Opportunities to learn fun skills like sailing, rowing, horse riding, tennis, flying, boarting, fishing, swimming. Most people grow up here, leave for somewher more exciting, look for a place that can offer their kids what they had and eventually give up looking for an equal place and return to raise their kids here.

The township is a group of 14 islands. 10 miles long and 2 miles wide at the widest point. There are about 10,000 residents. It is mostly white people, a few mixed (B/W) families and a small but noticable number of hispanic, indian, middle eastern, and oriental families or mixed families It is basically upper middle class, loads of business owners, and automotive execs, lawyers, doctors, engineers, quite a lot of BASF employees (mostly chemical engineers and management people). There are aslo a lot of reitred people ranging from extremely weathy (as in owners of major corporations) to people barely able to survive because they retired ain 1970 and surprised themselves byy being still alive. There is a small number of affordable townhomes and a few SFRs with middle middle class factory workers, government employees, etc. Everyone mixes. For the most part, no one cares what you income, or background is - are you nice, do you work hard for your community? Those matter.

The people are mostly very down to earth, wealthy or not. The township is very community oriented, with an amazing outpouring of community service and charity. Tons of volunteerrism. millionaires sitting in the bakery chatting with a retiree living on social security since the 1970s. the five churches coordinate activities including a neat boars head festival every four years and annual joint thnaksgiving service among other things.

Houses range from early 1800s (one from the 1700s) to modern subdivisions (inland), even some mcmansions (yuck); from fairly affordable condos to a $30 million mansion. SFRs start around $200,000 inland, $350,000 on the canals (a few may be less), riverfront homes are zoned one house per acre most locations, and run from around $450,000. Most are in the $500,000 - $600,000 range with a few in the millions or tens of millions.

The township government is very service oriented. The police and fire/rescue services are widley recognized and copied. The township owns all kinds of unusual recretional locations either from tax forclosure, development, or federal or coutny goverment transfers(small airport, large farm/community center, marina, golf club and pool, sledding hills hockey rink, kayak launch beach, soccer park, 21 miles of bike trails. Lots of parades, festivals, sunday concerts on the commons in the summer, etc. A lot of charity runs or bike rides use GI as a locale or starting point. Various streets are closed on and off for events.

The "downtown" is basically a single street with a few modern businesses, and a smattering of small crafty/art places in old houses. There are the basic amenties, a Kroger with starbucks inside, hardware store, bakery/ice cream shop, bank, a B & B, even a bicycle museum. Lots of businesses come and go from year to year, many are hobbies for retired people. There are a handful of decent eateries and taverns, nothing fancy and only a couple of places likely to ever draw people from other communities. Other places are scattered about, an alpaca farm, and Azeala farm and nursury (and wedding garden place), the airport bar ("If you fight in here, you will be asked to leave" - I guess pilots are rowdy). Betwween the three yacht clubs and two (private) country clubs, much of the dining and socializing goes on outside the normal commercial restruant/bar atmosphere.

As a single person - pretty terrible. No nightlife. Little shopping. The island is oriented to families and retirees. Singles and Dinks are honestly better off elsewhere with a few unusual exceptions.

We have forests, and a beautiful view of the river between us and Canada (about 2 miles wide), sometimes giant freighters passing by, loads fo boats of all kinds, and when it is clear, a pretty view of the ambassador bridge and Downtwon Detroit, just barely visible on the horizon. No mountains or ocean, but still amazing sunrises and sunsets both. The air is reasonbly clean, the water is reasonably clean (we swim in it, drink it, eat fish from it), in lpaces it is crystal clear, despite the brisk current.

The atmosphere is best described as summer camp like. Bonfires in every third yard (or fireplace in the winter), people always out on the roads walking, jogging, biking, leaning over a bridge fishing, whatever, Big beautiful trees crown most roads, speed limits are low, streets are mostly narrow, people wave or pull over to chat.

It certainly is not perfect. As somoen pointed out, the plethora of inland subdivisions make it somehwat suburbia - ish. There is no reason really to visit unless you know someone here. It is a place to live, not a place to tour, but it excells as a place to live - at least for families and retirees, and nature lovers.

Did I mention, Canadians are awesome?

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-29-2017 at 10:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City