Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:31 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/l9KQM_u8rAA

I like this one from Jungo Gem(even though Trinidad James stole it). NYC trying reinvent themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:44 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post

I like this one from Jungo Gem(even though Trinidad James stole it). NYC trying reinvent themselves.
NYC started the trends but ATL just hype music

Old 08-07-2018, 07:53 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post

NYC doesn't even feel like hip-hop anymore. As far as hip-hop in NYC, it kinda has a Erie feel to it.

Atlanta feels like hip-hop in 2018

Old 08-07-2018, 09:37 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC started the trends but ATL just hype music
Well, we don't even do hype music anymore like in the 90s. The artist I linked to is from Harlem. It had a Crime Mob feel to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
NYC doesn't even feel like hip-hop anymore. As far as hip-hop in NYC, it kinda has a Erie feel to it.

What do you think of the song Maryland? I'm from the A but NYC is versatile which isn't surprising. I think ATL needs to create another sound.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 AM

52 posts, read 36,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Nicki, 6ix9ine, and Cardi B have more Youtube views and billboard songs than anybody in Atlanta outside of the Migos (and maybe 21 savage and Lil Baby). Atlanta has more relevant artists at the moment, but NYC has hotter artists.

In fact, Cardi B has the most nominations for this years VMA awards.

"MTV announced the nominations for the 2018 Video Music Awards on Monday (July 16). Cardi B sits on top of the list with ten nominations; the new mom and breakout 2018 rapper racked up nods for Video, Song and Artist of the year, along with Best New Artist and Best Collaboration for her verses on Bruno Mars' "Finesse" remix."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/e...minations-2018

Youtube views:

6ix9ine -
Fefe ft Nicki Minaj (released 5 days ago) 54 million views
Tati - ( 2 months ago) 63 million views
Gotti - (3 months ago) 169 million views
Billy - (4 months ago) 142 million views
Kooda - (7 months ago) 163 million views
Keke (6 months ago) 88 million views
Gummo (9 months ago) 244 million views

Cardi B
I like it (1 month ago) 314 million views
Be Careful (2 months ago) 51 million views
Bodak Yellow (1 year ago) 609 million views
Finesse - Bruno Mars Feat Cardi (6 months ago) 458 million views

Nicki Minaj
Chun Li (2 months ago) 75 million views
Barbie Tingz (2 months ago) 45 million views
Bed (2 weeks ago) 30 million views
No Frauds (1 year ago) 145 million views
Several older videos with hundreds of millions of views

Also, these three artists tend be headliners of major shows as opposed to regular acts.

I hate to say it Card I B is under the wing of the Migos

6ixnine isn't even worth mentioning, The biggest troll in hip hop history at the moment..Faking robberies and TROLLING LA and Chicago are just a few examples.

I wouldn't be surprised if the YouTube numbers aren't fake

No artist from New York right now is authentic besides Dave East. Every other artist is rapping like they from Atlanta or under the South umbrella including Nicki Minaj

Old 08-15-2018, 09:51 AM

38 posts, read 23,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm asking which city is more famous for hip hop around the world. I figured it was an interesting question considering that the NY scene is past its prime while the same doesn't appear to be true for Atlanta's.
New York - famous worldwide
ATL - famous in North America

Old 08-22-2018, 07:53 AM

413 posts, read 437,773 times
funny thing is back in the 90s ATL had some spitters guys who could really rap.......I remember Freaknik back in ATL and they were listening to alot of the same stuff we were in NYC.....West Coast music was also real popular out there as well........I remember my first time hearing OPP was actually in North Carolina on my way to a family reunion....

Old 08-22-2018, 12:03 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
It’s crazy to me how people in 2018 really think Atlanta has a clear dominance in hip hop. Lol.

If this were between the years of 2006 to 2013 I’d say yea. Hip hop is entering a phase where no city has a clear ownership on the genre it’s pretty diverse now. That’s actually a good thing cause other genres don’t have the region dominance going on.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post

Na I think your city Baltimore doesn’t feel like Hip Hop lol.

Hip Hop will always have a feel in NYC because we created it.

That’s like saying Jamaica doesn’t even feel like reggae anymore because other islands do it. Lol

Old 08-22-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusMonday View Post
I hate to say it Card I B is under the wing of the Migos

6ixnine isn't even worth mentioning, The biggest troll in hip hop history at the moment..Faking robberies and TROLLING LA and Chicago are just a few examples.

I wouldn't be surprised if the YouTube numbers aren't fake

No artist from New York right now is authentic besides Dave East. Every other artist is rapping like they from Atlanta or under the South umbrella including Nicki Minaj
Stop it. You’re making all types of excuses right now and in denial and way off topic at that lol

If Atlanta artist were doing those numberes and having those views you wouldn’t be coming up with excuses.

This is partially why I say the Atlanta hip hop dominance is overrated because of the facts posted by the person you responded to.

Funny enough Niki got number 2 in album sales and Travis Scott from Houston got 1.

Funny enough KodeBlue said NYC doesn’t feel like hip hop but Travis Scott got himself a one way ticket to NYC when he decided to take music seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City