Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 12:27 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I feel like its going to change once 2010s come to a close. I know Migos are still relevant, but who is the new crop of ATL rappers that are really popular now? Recently, I've been hearing a lot more from FL (Ski Mask the Slump God, Lil Pump) and NYC (Cardi B, Sixnine) I don't think ATL is as dominant today as for example even 5 years ago, but I'm too old to follow all the new artists tbh and maybe some of this is still a regional thing.
Ski never really blew up and Pump is garbage. ATL is more hot still
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 08:20 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Donald Glove(Childish Gambino)
Future
Lil Yachty
Migos
2 Chains
Gucci Mayne
21 Savage
And many more coming through the pipeline. Doesnt look like its slowing down as there are just more places around the country that are compting but Atlanta still has the most notoriety than one single place
https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ers-top-8-2014
To be honest if Gucci Mane or 2 chains were from any other region they’d be considered washed up by now.

The others I agree with.

But to the point of the person you responded to when you look at the new XXL freshmen list it isn’t run by ATL rappers anymore. If anything it’s more diverse of regions now. Back in high school I remember when the list clearly had a majority of ATL/southern artist!

Old 07-07-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Tekashi is gonna get himself killed out here one day. I don't see him lasting long. Cardi may be here for a while.

Atlanta will be fine as they always seem to have someone pop up out of nowhere. They have a sound that people want to hear.
Tekashi will be aight!

Old 07-07-2018, 08:45 AM

923 posts, read 665,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
To be honest if Gucci Mane or 2 chains were from any other region they’d be considered washed up by now.

The others I agree with.

But to the point of the person you responded to when you look at the new XXL freshmen list it isn’t run by ATL rappers anymore. If anything it’s more diverse of regions now. Back in high school I remember when the list clearly had a majority of ATL/southern artist!
Well thats what I stated earlier.Its more diverse from many more places BUT one city that stands out as still having more hits,producers and rappers,still hail or rep ATL.

NYC is in a bubble.
I remember in the 90s they were playing rap from down South every where but NYC.You would see the videos on BET but when I was in NYC you rarely heard Southern artist on the radio.New Yorkers refused to acknowledge them,
Guccie Mane is not washed up.Not my favorite but he is everywhere from what I have seen.He has been in the top 20 singles last year and in the U.K as well.His album last year also did well.
Even in Vogue and the New Yorker
https://www.vogue.com/article/gucci-...-video-release

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page...gle-to-be-seen

Old 07-07-2018, 02:06 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times
Quote:

The others I agree with.

The fact the lone lyricist on there (J.I.D) is from Atlanta is a good look in itself. Very impressied by the dude. He reminds me of Kendrick Lamar, though I felt like they inserted him just to have an Atlanta artist, because he definitely doesn't have the same buzz as the rest (on par with wifisfuneral). I knew about him already from his Hot 97 freestyle, not his music.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Well thats what I stated earlier.Its more diverse from many more places BUT one city that stands out as still having more hits,producers and rappers,still hail or rep ATL.

NYC is in a bubble.
I remember in the 90s they were playing rap from down South every where but NYC.You would see the videos on BET but when I was in NYC you rarely heard Southern artist on the radio.New Yorkers refused to acknowledge them,
Guccie Mane is not washed up.Not my favorite but he is everywhere from what I have seen.He has been in the top 20 singles last year and in the U.K as well.His album last year also did well.
Even in Vogue and the New Yorker
https://www.vogue.com/article/gucci-...-video-release

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page...gle-to-be-seen
I don’t recall hearing down south rap in Boston or Philly radios back in the 90s either!

Quick question who has more of a following? Gucci or French Montana?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:00 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
I don’t recall hearing down south rap in Boston or Philly radios back in the 90s either!

Quick question who has more of a following? Gucci or French Montana?
Gucci easily. That's not even a debate.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 PM

Video: Chicago Rapper "Ayoo Kd" Gets Beat Up In Atlanta For Talking Ish About Tekashi 6ix9ine & Treyway

Lmaooo

Old 07-08-2018, 12:13 AM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times
This dude is always getting beat up on camera for all sorts of reasons. You'd think he took some MMA lessons by the 5th time.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
This dude is always getting beat up on camera for all sorts of reasons. You'd think he took some MMA lessons by the 5th time.
It’s crazy because I only know him for getting beat up aside from the diss track he made about Bobby Shmurda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City