Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 PM

375 posts, read 331,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
No one said it was the nicest....find it and quote it, if that's true. Chicago is known for its architecture, though, and it's beautiful...that cannot be denied. Well, by most.
Quote:
The Architecture: Chicago is not only the best city for architecture in the US its arguably one of the best cities for architecture on the planet.
You affirmed the above. I have a right to respond and bring reason to this love fest. Chicago is neither the best nor "one of the best."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I just had dinner with a leading Mexican architect tonight, who went on and on again about Chicago. I've heard similar praise from Japanese, Korean and Thai architects. And just last summer I took what is basically the leading female structural design engineer on Earth, a dear French friend, to a Chicago observation deck, who then made me spend three hours atop The John Hancock, she was basically wetting her panties in awe of what she was witnessing. At age 43, her first trip to Chicago, a dream of hers since college.

Take all that for what it's worth Springs Snow, one who is easily melted.
Yea, Chicago is a goddamn dream for architecture buffs. It's packed with firsts of all kinds of things and it puts different eras and innovations in architecture right alongside each other.

I wish Chicago were pushing the envelope more (though the architects based in Chicago are doing so just not necessarily in Chicago) with its current boom.

There are some incredibly large parcels available in and near the core of Chicago (more so than any other major US city) and it'd be amazing to see them filled out with groundbreaking work.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
You affirmed the above. I have a right to respond and bring reason to this love fest. Chicago is neither the best nor "one of the best."
You, clearly, are not reading what those who actually know something about architecture, are saying. One is even an architect, and you haven't responded to his comments. It's amazing how anyone who has lived in this country, doesn't know about Chicago, and its architecture. Even if one doesn't read much, you should have heard about it, by now.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
You, clearly, are not reading what those who actually know something about architecture, are saying. One is even an architect, and you haven't responded to his comments. It's amazing how anyone who has lived in this country, doesn't know about Chicago, and its architecture. Even if one doesn't read much, you should have heard about it, by now.
I read his comments, there is nothing to respond too. He's talking about a specific set of architecture, and not really agreeing or disagreeing with anything I'm saying.

You asked for the quote, you got it. Now you're changing the goal posts. What is wrong with you? Do I have to have the opinion that "Chicago is awesome" before I respond. Apparently I do or people are triggered.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I read his comments, there is nothing to respond too. He's talking about a specific set of architecture, and not really agreeing or disagreeing with anything I'm saying.

You asked for the quote, you got it. Now you're changing the goal posts. What is wrong with you? Do I have to have the opinion that "Chicago is awesome" before I respond. Apparently I do or people are triggered.
I didn't say it, so I don't even know where you found it. If it's something I liked, so be it. Triggered is a strong word, btw. You certainly don't have to love Chicago, you're entitled to your opinion. It's an opinion, though, and very contrary to the truth. If one can't even acknowledge some of the facts stated, they're in denial.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:58 PM

80 posts, read 96,771 times
Quote:
Why are we talking about just 20th century architecture? Let's talk about all architecture. Let's talk about being impressed when you walk into the city.

Now for Hong Kong, I nominate:

The Lippo Centre

Bank of China Tower

IFC and ICC

The Cultural Centre

Chi Lin Nunnrey

Legco Building

Exhibition Centre

HK and Shanghai Bank Headquarters

Repulse Bay

King Yei Lin Manson

Jardine House

Highcliff/Summit

As a tour for what Hong Kong has to offer both new, old, and everything inbetween. Honestly though it's not just Hong Kong, there are a whole host of Asian cities (Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo) who I would place above Chicago when it comes to "new and shiny" buildings (and almost all European cities when it comes to architecture overall). And while KL is overall not as nice as Chicago (architecture) the Petronas Towers are probably the nicest single piece of architecture anywhere in the world.
Personally, I prefer the older architecture found in many European cities, but I recognize the importance of the 20th century in the development of the skyscraper and the many new styles of architecture that have come about because of that. To answer the OP, Chicago is definitely worth a visit after NYC for many of the reasons already stated by posters above. It makes excellent use of the lakefront and riverfront, has one of the widest ranges of 20th century architecture anywhere in the world, great food, fascinating museums, etc... Definitely a world-class city with its own character.

Every single building on your list is also from the 20th century or later. Still no example of neo-gothic, art deco, spanish colonial revival, international style, and only one small example of neoclassical. I do love the brutalist style of the Lippo Center! The Chi Lin Nunnrey and King Yin Lei Mansion are both beautiful buildings with styles you probably wouldn't find in Chicago, but I could easily point to some of Chicago's surviving Gilded Age mansions and grandiose museums.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:00 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I just had dinner with a leading Mexican architect tonight, who went on and on again about Chicago. I've heard similar praise from Japanese, Korean and Thai architects. And just last summer I took what is basically the leading female structural design engineer on Earth, a dear French friend, to a Chicago observation deck, who then made me spend three hours atop The John Hancock, she was basically wetting her panties in awe of what she was witnessing. At age 43, her first trip to Chicago, a dream of hers since college.

Take all that for what it's worth Springs Snow, one who is easily melted.
Architects generally aren't jingoistic. We just love good architecture and Chicago is one of the top cities in the world for architecture.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it, so I don't even know where you found it. If it's something I liked, so be it. Triggered is a strong word, btw. You certainly don't have to love Chicago, you're entitled to your opinion. It's an opinion, though, and very contrary to the truth. If one can't even acknowledge some of the facts stated, they're in denial.
How can statements like "best architecture" be a fact? Do you even know the meaning of the word fact. Or maybe it's the meaning of the word best that you don't understand.

What's a fact is how many X buildings Chicago has in a date range and a certain height.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
How can statements like "best architecture" be a fact? Do you even know the meaning of the word fact. Or maybe it's the meaning of the word best that you don't understand.

What's a fact is how many X buildings Chicago has in a date range and a certain height.
Ugggh....good night. Just read up on what the world's architects say...it's a fact that Chicago is held in high esteem and that its architecture is among the world's best. Take it up with them...tell them they're wrong.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:26 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times
I'd like to nominate SpringSnow for the first ever SpritzerPrize, an award dedicated to the individual who manages to throw the most Spitz on previously well respected architecture.

Not to be confused with the ShvitzerPrize, who he is in the running for, the prize dedicated to architecture critics who start to schvitz when confronted with their online bombastic self-indulgent opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City