Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 119 50.64%
Chicago Winters 116 49.36%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
People who live in Chicago, wouldn't, necessarily, "rather have the cold" as you stated. The rest of the year is so beautiful, a couple months of cold, isn't so bad. It's not cold all the time.
I know, I used to live there. I wouldnt say its just a couple of month though. I would say its 4 solid months of it. But then again the definition of cold varies. I would argue that Chicago is more than 4 months of cold, but objectively, its cold for 4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:08 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I know, I used to live there. I wouldnt say its just a couple of month though. I would say its 4 solid months of it. But then again the definition of cold varies. I would argue that Chicago is more than 4 months of cold, but objectively, its cold for 4 months.

I've lived there, as well, and cold is subjective. I don't mind weather in the 40's and 50's...that's not cold, to me. Freezing is part of December, pretty much all of January, and part of February. We mowed our lawn in February before, so couldn't have been too cold.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:07 PM

76 posts, read 69,596 times
For me, it's not even close: Dallas summers.

Neither are ideal but summers in Dallas are a walk in the park compared to winters in Chicago.

Winters in the Great Lakes are lousy a few different ways:

1)Putting on layers and taking them off constantly sucks. It's easier to walk outside with fewer layers than spending 10 minutes layering up.
2)Chicago gets enough severe cold where layers won't help you. It's a constant rush from one heated interior to the next. Any exposed skin just stings within minutes.
3)Snow. It's beautiful when it falls. But it's a PITA to drive in, walk in, or maintain your property. It's causes frequent travel delays if you're a constant flyer.
4)Lack of sunlight. You get tired, don't want to get out of bed. You lack focus.

In Dallas, yea you will sweat. But find some shade, a pool, a cold drink and it's not even really bad. Extra points for breeze.

Now I don't know where anyone is going off on "Northern Europeans prefer cold due to our nature" that's simply not true and I can attest to that living in Miami Beach. Yes, I miss the cold and snow every now and then, that's what vacation is for.

I have lived in the Midwest, and I did not like the winters at all.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
There is no "objectively cold" only objectively "colder."

I think the ideal average is 80 degrees and the average low should be 60 degrees. Basically Chicago is colder than my ideal 9 months out of 12. And significantly colder around 8 months a year. Meanwhile Dallas is significantly warmer 4 months of the year and colder 5 months of the year. I think the winters in Dallas would bother me more than the summers.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:15 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Dallas summers are not even the worst in the country so you have your answer.
Among major cities, who is worse? Houston? New Orleans?

Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Among major cities, who is worse? Houston? New Orleans?
Miami.

The hot + humid conditions last 6 months in contrast to 4 months for NOLA/Houston. Also our lows are higher by about 5 degrees than those cities in the summer.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:38 PM

101 posts, read 91,601 times
Miami and Fort Lauderdale, it was 78 degrees during christmas at night. https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=99999
And they don't get frost, bug paradise.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedean1878 View Post
Miami and Fort Lauderdale, it was 78 degrees during christmas at night. https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=99999
And they don't get frost, bug paradise.
Biting Bugs are not an issue here. I can leave my balcony doors open most days and not get mosquitoes. We're highly urbanized with few areas of standing freshwater.

Places with frequent frosts and freezes (such as Alaska or Minnesota) have far more problems with Mosquitoes during their summer months than we do during any part of the year.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:52 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Like you said, it's all subjective on "cold". I only think of Mid December to late February as "cold".

The average highs on the 15th of the month:

October: 63
November: 50
December: 35
January: 31
February: 36
March: 46
April: 59

Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
If anyone can post another one, that'll be appreciated
Well winter forecasts change so drastically, one week it could be highs of 15, the next 45.

That week you chose actually happened to be *THE* worst week of that entire winter.

Looking at average highs from last December, January and February - core winter months for last year which was pretty decent:

Highs in the:

10's: 5
20's: 15
30's: 31
40's: 23
50's: 9
60's: 6
70's: 1

Back in 2015 we didn't have a single day where it didn't reach above freezing until New Year's eve that year. It varies so wildly from year to year and month to month in winter, people talk about "months on end of ____". There are warm-ups every winter, usually ever few weeks or so that break the cycles. Snow doesn't sit on the ground for very long really, it gets shoveled away within a day, and then maybe it takes a week or two to melt before you get some more snow here and there. I wish we had huge snowstorms, I love those. Chicago mostly just gets an inch or two at a time, then maybe one storm a year of 8". Every few years 10"-12" or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City