Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: PA vs. NY
NY 72 51.80%
PA 67 48.20%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:59 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Lets go with PA on this one.

Incredibly livable with the perfect sized principal city(Philly 6-7 M people) moderate climate and just about every inch of Pa is productive to mankind.

NYC tends to be a a zoo and the interior can be primitively wildernistic. Give NY props for the Hamptons and Southshore of Long Island though.

Overall its PA and its not really close.

Just outside of Philly

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7402/2...6209b198_b.jpg
What is "just" outside of Philly in terms of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Will Buffalo and Rochester ever be one CSA? They're separated by only 75 miles or so, so I'm not sure if they have adjacent exurbs/suburbs with commuter flow.
You could get from say outer NE Buffalo suburbs to outer western Rochester suburbs in less than an hour.

Also, connecting the two may depend upon Genesee County, which is right in between both areas. If they did, the CSA would have about 2.3-2.5 million people or so.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-12-2017 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 08:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
It's a close decision because both states have a lot to offer.

They both have interesting geography with mountains, valleys, and lake regions.

Each of them has distinct regions and plenty of rural areas, a mega city, and various cities of different sizes.

Both have decent infrastructure and it's easy to get from one city to another.

I would say that NY has a slight edge.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 PM

149 posts, read 113,467 times
NYC alone is better than entire states.PA is no exception

Old 08-12-2017, 11:47 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
So upstate New York is comparable to Ohio ? Lol
Well, yes.

As I said before, the population and distribution thereof is very similar. The cities are spread fairly evenly throughout upstate NY, and the same is true in Ohio. Population density is quite similar.

Both upstate NY and Ohio share in a few regions and characteristics. Great Lakes, Rust belt, heavy agriculture, north-central Appalachian/Allegheny tracts of land, and similar climates too.

There is also quite a lot of transplanting and visitation between Ohio and NY.

Comparable for certain.

As for your response to my opinion of Florida; care to elaborate? "Wow" is a terribly unhelpful reply.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedOne View Post
I have family in Long Island, went to school in NJ and lived in NYC/NJ. My favorite teams are NY teams.

I am not one of the folks who thinks we should throw out arguably the greatest city in the world. That type of thinking really highlights how ass backwards some people are up here. Yeah, lets just throw away NYC's influence. Even historically with the Erie Canal, we owe most of our tax base and history to them. The upstate/downstate secession is total BS to me. I refuse to allow this state to throw that away so we can become ****ing Ohio.

As much as I used to love the big city lifestyle, I have to say I am more akin to the Adirondacks and nature aspect of the state now.
What's wrong with Ohio? Aside from the massive drug problem.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:07 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
So incredibly true. Places like Saratoga Springs, Geneva, Ithaca, Binghamton, etc. definitely have a different vibe than comparable places in PA. I do agree with cpomp that Pittsburgh is a better 2nd city than anything in NYS.

But, is there anything that compares to the beauty and vibe of Saratoga Springs in PA? I'm a serious advocate of the Adirondacks. I haven't found anything nearly as comprehensive or as cohesive as the Adirondacks in PA (chains of crystal clean/clear lakes, nice little towns closely connected, communities with history, etc.). I openly admit that I know much less about PA and am open to being enlightened.
Mount Marcy in the Adirondacks is over 2,000 ft higher than the highest point in PA.

NY hands down for me.

Niagara Falls
Finger Lakes
NYC
Catskills
Hudson Valley
1000 Islands/Saint Larwence Seaway
Lake Ontario (and Lake Erie)
Coney Island
Hamptons/Long Island
Empire State Building/Statue of Liberty
Lake Placid/Saranac Lake/Lake George/Saratoga Springs
Closer to ....New England (especially Vermont), Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 AM

68 posts, read 71,144 times
It's a little painful to vote against my native PA, but reality is reality. New York has more impressive scenery, a much better infrastructure and better overall state services, and some small cities that are actually nice. PA has some lovely small towns, way lower taxes and general COL, and IMO Philly is a great city (if you like big cities), but our lack of small cities that don't suck and TERRIBLE infrastructure in most places really gets annoying.

New York is honestly one of the few states I'd consider leaving PA for if I had some great job opportunity there, though. My mother is from there, and its small and medium towns are really similar to PA's, so I figure I'd probably like it there just fine, since I also like it here. Well, as long as I wasn't in the Lake Effect snow zone. But that goes for PA too.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion Garden View Post
New York has more impressive scenery
I'm a little confused by this. Pennsylvania has a lot of impressive mountain ridge scenery NY does not.

Not that NY is dull by any measure, but it's different. PA has a lot of tight narrow deep valleys and dense hill country that doesn't really exist in NY. The huge sweeping mountain views west of Williamsport (literally like a wavy ocean of land)? You can't find that same kind of view in NY.

NY's valleys are broader and have a different kind of appearance due to both glaciation and the Adirondacks being Canadian Shield rather than Appalachian (distinct geological construction).

Both are equally beautiful. I think people are selling PA short on the scenery.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I'm a little confused by this. Pennsylvania has a lot of impressive mountain ridge scenery NY does not.

Not that NY is dull by any measure, but it's different. PA has a lot of tight narrow deep valleys and dense hill country that doesn't really exist in NY. The huge sweeping mountain views west of Williamsport (literally like a wavy ocean of land)? You can't find that same kind of view in NY.

NY's valleys are broader and have a different kind of appearance due to both glaciation and the Adirondacks being Canadian Shield rather than Appalachian (distinct geological construction).

Both are equally beautiful. I think people are selling PA short on the scenery.
You can find similar in the Southern Tier, as well as in more mountainous areas of NY.

I also think the stronger water aspect in NY may play a part in people's opinion of NY beauty in comparison. There's also other land features like dunes, beaches and islands that NY has in multiple areas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-13-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City