Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 01:42 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,662,317 times

Advertisements

Right yall goin nuts. We get it Chicago is bad but is very irrelevant if you not in the midwest. Again the best comparison you can make for your argument is Baltimore with all it's nice neighborhoods compared to the Southside. All I see is a city of 640000 with almost 200 murders compared to a city of 2.5 m at 282. It's still more than half with 1/4 the population. You cant disregard that and say it doesnt matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 02:35 PM

5,838 posts, read 5,642,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Each city on my list has a link to my source, as you know (I hope). I think are four cities are from crime mapping websites. These cities use them to store their data. For example, here's from Fort Worth:
https://police.fortworthtexas.gov/Crime-Information
Cool, thank you...

And I mentioned before, I understand why you're listing the police link of Richmond homicides, but that site is habitually lagging in updates. Richmond is now at 39 murders on the year after three in the last day and a half:

https://wtvr.com/2019/08/02/police-i...mond-sidewalk/

That doesn't say the total number in that link, but it does illustrate that if you customize the dates in the link, again, the dates will still not have the updated homicide info...

Also, those "crime mapping" links are notoriously inaccurate for many cities. I'll default to them if there is no other source, but they are consistently late and/or wrong. A tactic I use is to monitor crime mapping as well as a variety of local media, which is how I've come to the realization over the years that the "crime mapping" is habitually off...

Your Las Vegas totals are wrong, so is Norfolk, and several others...

Old 08-02-2019, 03:28 PM

553 posts, read 410,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
IronWright you know nothing about LA's scene in the 90s.

7 of the 9 original Damu Ridas rappers (from Crenshaw Mafia and Denver Lane Bloods) are dead and one is serving life. 7 of 9 people in Chief Keef's entourage haven't been killed. Not even close to that.

Pac was by killed an LA Crip. And according to 2 Compton police officers during an interview, after Pac died 3 people were killed and 11 shootings took place in just three days between Mob Piru (Suge's set) and Southside Crips (Orlando Anderson's set).

BG Knocc Out from Eazy-E's song Real Mf'in G'z did time for spraying some people with a shotgun.

Death Row was involved in shady activities that we know little about. Death Row kidnapped a NY DJ making him drink urine, they checked Nas right in the middle of his own city, DJ Quik dissing MC Eiht on stage at an awards show talking about some people pulling up on Eiht with guns out, Death Row made Biggie and Puffy dip out at the Soul Train Awards. A lot of people think Suge had Eazy killed, especially after that interview with Jimmy Kimmel. And even E-40's homies had Biggie basically kidnapped.

Chicago rappers have motor mouths. So what..
I don't know why you always bring up Chief Keef but if he stayed in Chicago he'd be dead. That's why he moved himself and his people to L.A. to be safe. When Chicago rappers pop they have to get out and not come back or be killed.

You obviously don't know the first thing about Drill if you think 7 dead Blood rappers compares to what's happened over the last decade. That many rappers get killed every year in Chicago. Not to mention the vast majority of these dudes were young teenagers when they blew up. Below is some B.D. rappers from 60th, 64th and 65 & King Drive and G.D.'s from 63rd and St. Lawrence that are into it with each other constantly taunting back n forth in songs and videos that leads to real life hits.

The aftermath of 2 Pac's killing you mentioned happens every time one of these rappers is killed except other rappers are part of the retaliations.

B.D. rappers either dead or locked up for murder/attempted murder from 300/600

L.A. Capone - Killed
Rondo - Prison for Murder
D. Rose - Prison for Murder
Cdai - Prison for Murder
Blood Money - Killed
Capo - Killed
Fredo Santana - Dead
Nuski - Killed
Chino - Killed
Memo - Shot 3 times a month ago
Lil Durk - Attempted Murder
King Von - Attempted Murder

G.D. rappers from STL-EBT/Tookaville

Jo Jo - Killed
Lil Jay - Prison for Murder
Dooski - Killed/funeral shot up
Wooski - Shot in the head but survived
Lil Scrapp - Killed
FBG Duck - Shot twice
FBG Brick - Killed

That's just rappers that had some noteriety from two different sets that have been at war a few blocks from eachother. There's a whole lot more dead, shot up or locked up for murder that were semi-public figures in thier entourage. There is many other rap sets in the city with these same types of results. You can reasearch yourself how many dead rappers out of Chicago since 2011.

Last edited by IronWright; 08-02-2019 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-02-2019, 05:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Right yall goin nuts. We get it Chicago is bad but is very irrelevant if you not in the midwest. Again the best comparison you can make for your argument is Baltimore with all it's nice neighborhoods compared to the Southside. All I see is a city of 640000 with almost 200 murders compared to a city of 2.5 m at 282. It's still more than half with 1/4 the population. You cant disregard that and say it doesnt matter.
Right, the nations 3rd largest economy, the metro area with the 2nd most amount of Fortune 500 company HQ (only NYC more - Bay Area and Chicago with around the same number), and the home to the nation's largest financial exchange (CBOE) is irrelevent outside of the midwest. Okay..

Old 08-02-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Cool, thank you...

And I mentioned before, I understand why you're listing the police link of Richmond homicides, but that site is habitually lagging in updates. Richmond is now at 39 murders on the year after three in the last day and a half:

https://wtvr.com/2019/08/02/police-i...mond-sidewalk/

That doesn't say the total number in that link, but it does illustrate that if you customize the dates in the link, again, the dates will still not have the updated homicide info...
I don't doubt it's lagging behind, but also as I mentioned in my previous post - newspapers are quick to report anything and everything. Most people should know this - whether it's about crime or any other event. Police statistics only reflect once an investigation is done. Usually that's pretty fast with most cases unless there's a suspicion of self defense. Pretty sure Richmond is a little behind, but it's also possible some of these haven't cleared investigation yet. At the end of the day, again, this is what matters. The FBI gets numbers reported from the police departments, not the newspapers.

Quote:
Also, those "crime mapping" links are notoriously inaccurate for many cities. I'll default to them if there is no other source, but they are consistently late and/or wrong. A tactic I use is to monitor crime mapping as well as a variety of local media, which is how I've come to the realization over the years that the "crime mapping" is habitually off...
Nah, only sometimes. Here's the thing and maybe you missed it based on what I said. There are numerous official police department websites that use the crime mapping sites. They link directly to them from either the official city government webpage or the official city police department website. When the official police page for a city links directly to it and has no other reports, it's what you use.

Quote:
Your Las Vegas totals are wrong, so is Norfolk, and several others...
1) Las Vegas's crime numbers come directly from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Website:
https://www.lvmpd.com/en-us/Pages/Statistics.aspx

2) Norfolk is at 19 now, not the 20 you reported earlier. If you go to the crime mapping tool, you'll notice that 2 of the homicides that come up are actually belonging to the Chesapeake, VA police. As of 7/20 it was at 18:

https://pilotonline.com/news/article...40e65efe7.html
Quote:
The man’s death is the 18th homicide in the city this year. Police have arrested someone in 14 of those, although prosecutors have dropped charges in some cases. There were an average of 21½ homicide at this point in each of the last 10 years.
Then there was another one on 7/25 (https://pilotonline.com/news/local/c...12823d74e.html) but it didn't show up in the crime mapping until today for some reason.

3) Again, the numbers I posted have the date that they are active through. In the case of Las Vegas, it is through 7/27, which was 6 days ago. This is the most up to date official information they have. The number is completely accurate to what the LVMPD reported through 7/27. This is not through 8/2, it's through 7/27. I'm sure there have been a few homicides since then and that's great, but I'm not tallying numbers myself from news articles.

4) If you have any other reputable sources to counter act mine, then post them instead of just saying "your numbers are wrong." It means nothing without citing actual sources. You link to sources before, but they don't actually tell what number homicide it is for the year. If you are tallying numbers yourself, then literally link to every news article you're using to get your tally so people can see how you arrived at that number. Otherwise whatever approach you're taking is not scientific at all because you fail to cite a source that actually backs up your number.

5) I posted the dates that each city is through with a link so you'll know that perhaps when you're reading an article from 8/2 about a murder that happened today, but my number says "thru 7/27" you might actually pause and say "oh, the official number is behind by a handful of days and marothisu only tries to use official sources. So that's probably why whatever I read in the article is a little more than what he posted."

Posting things on here is fine, but unless you have a source to back it up that actually specifically states the number you posted, then don't post it at all. I find articles all the time about homicides - yeah I want to count it, but I can't until the next official report comes out. Why? Because there's no telling that later on in a week or month that it could be classified as self defense homicide. If you aren't keeping up on it, and sometimes there's not even news about these things, your number will be inaccurate.

At the end of the day, the FBI gets its numbers from each police department. Statistically on record, it really doesn't matter if the Norfolk Newspaper had 5 more than what the police department had because what the police department had is what the FBI is going to report in their UCR and will go down as official. Therefore using the official police number is the most accurate, and posting the date it's through should hopefully make people understand that if it's posted as being through 7/27 but today is 8/2, then the number for 8/2 is going to probably be higher.

Last edited by marothisu; 08-02-2019 at 06:26 PM..

Old 08-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt it's lagging behind, but also as I mentioned in my previous post - newspapers are quick to report anything and everything. Most people should know this - whether it's about crime or any other event. Police statistics only reflect once an investigation is done. Usually that's pretty fast with most cases unless there's a suspicion of self defense. Pretty sure Richmond is a little behind, but it's also possible some of these haven't cleared investigation yet. At the end of the day, again, this is what matters. The FBI gets numbers reported from the police departments, not the newspapers.

Nah, only sometimes. Here's the thing and maybe you missed it based on what I said. There are numerous official police department websites that use the crime mapping sites. They link directly to them from either the official city government webpage or the official city police department website. When the official police page for a city links directly to it and has no other reports, it's what you use.

1) Las Vegas's crime numbers come directly from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Website:
https://www.lvmpd.com/en-us/Pages/Statistics.aspx

2) Norfolk is at 19 now, not the 20 you reported earlier. If you go to the crime mapping tool, you'll notice that 2 of the homicides that come up are actually belonging to the Chesapeake, VA police. As of 7/20 it was at 18:

https://pilotonline.com/news/article...40e65efe7.html

Then there was another one on 7/25 (https://pilotonline.com/news/local/c...12823d74e.html) but it didn't show up in the crime mapping until today for some reason.

3) Again, the numbers I posted have the date that they are active through. In the case of Las Vegas, it is through 7/27, which was 6 days ago. This is the most up to date official information they have. The number is completely accurate to what the LVMPD reported through 7/27. This is not through 8/2, it's through 7/27. I'm sure there have been a few homicides since then and that's great, but I'm not tallying numbers myself from news articles.

4) If you have any other reputable sources to counter act mine, then post them instead of just saying "your numbers are wrong." It means nothing without citing actual sources. You link to sources before, but they don't actually tell what number homicide it is for the year. If you are tallying numbers yourself, then literally link to every news article you're using to get your tally so people can see how you arrived at that number. Otherwise whatever approach you're taking is not scientific at all because you fail to cite a source that actually backs up your number.

5) I posted the dates that each city is through with a link so you'll know that perhaps when you're reading an article from 8/2 about a murder that happened today, but my number says "thru 7/27" you might actually pause and say "oh, the official number is behind by a handful of days and marothisu only tries to use official sources. So that's probably why whatever I read in the article is a little more than what he posted."

Posting things on here is fine, but unless you have a source to back it up that actually specifically states the number you posted, then don't post it at all. I find articles all the time about homicides - yeah I want to count it, but I can't until the next official report comes out. Why? Because there's no telling that later on in a week or month that it could be classified as self defense homicide. If you aren't keeping up on it, and sometimes there's not even news about these things, your number will be inaccurate.

At the end of the day, the FBI gets its numbers from each police department. Statistically on record, it really doesn't matter if the Norfolk Newspaper had 5 more than what the police department had because what the police department had is what the FBI is going to report in their UCR and will go down as official. Therefore using the official police number is the most accurate, and posting the date it's through should hopefully make people understand that if it's posted as being through 7/27 but today is 8/2, then the number for 8/2 is going to probably be higher.
Bruh, you're being condescending. We've spoken on this in years past and I get the feeling you're trying to show out for somebody here. I do stand corrected on LVMPD, though...

You know that I know that the FBI gets its tallies from police departments. You also know that I source my tallies from police departments where applicable, you know this because I've told you before and I've shared said links with you and the reading public on here in the past (I just shared a link with the NOPD with you last week). So you know these things and you know my awareness on the subject because I've done it before, and this week isn't the first time you and I have had conversation here...

I've always been open to dialogue and transparency, as well as collaboration and corrections. I think for people who have followed these threads year after year, there is an understanding to the integrity of my postings...

So I don't really get your condescending tone, or why you're acting like you're hip to something I'm not, or why you're taking this air of superiority all of a sudden, but I'll let you have at it, chief...

Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Bruh, you're being condescending. We've spoken on this in years past and I get the feeling you're trying to show out for somebody here. I do stand corrected on LVMPD, though...

You know that I know that the FBI gets its tallies from police departments. You also know that I source my tallies from police departments where applicable, you know this because I've told you before and I've shared said links with you and the reading public on here in the past (I just shared a link with the NOPD with you last week). So you know these things and you know my awareness on the subject because I've done it before, and this week isn't the first time you and I have had conversation here...

I've always been open to dialogue and transparency, as well as collaboration and corrections. I think for people who have followed these threads year after year, there is an understanding to the integrity of my postings...

So I don't really get your condescending tone, or why you're acting like you're hip to something I'm not, or why you're taking this air of superiority all of a sudden, but I'll let you have at it, chief...
I post numbers with links to official sources of data - and the last post had the date the number was current through. On those posts I do nothing else (except sometimes pointing out what's new, like a new city)

* Out of the 83 cities in my last post, 53 link directly to the respective city's official police or city website with the data.
* Another 14 link to the major newspaper for that city that keeps count on a page where you can see a list of every homicide for the year.
* Only 6 of my data comes from news articles mentioning in passing what number of homicide it was

81% of the sources in my numbers posts come from either the official police department site or a newspaper that actually shows every single homicide and a great count.

I don't attack your posts, and only go "condescending" after you attack mine first saying the data is wrong without offering up a better source (except New Orleans - thanks for that). You claim you like to use official data source when you can, yet you almost always link to news articles and not to the official sources of data. Some of your news articles you link to don't even say which number homicide it was for the city you're talking about. After you attack one of my posts last week, I go about explaining why my numbers and one from an article might be off but now I'm condescending for explaining why I use what I use.

I respond to you about Las Vegas, literally posting for you the same source of data source I've been linking to in my post for months. You respond with "I stand corrected"... except nothing changed - I've been using the same exact data source for months. It is obvious you don't even bother to look into my sources. You just want to find fault with what I do, but you hardly ever post better sources (exception: New Orleans). Many times you link to a news article without any actual statement to the number of homicides for that city on the year.

GTFO here with this BS. If you want to talk about condescending too, take a look in the mirror.

P.S. If you didn't notice, I changed the source for New Orleans to the one you sent because it's actually good and official. I stopped using the Baton Rouge one after you raised up concern for that and I investigated why the number on that was much higher than the newspaper's count. I started using the newspaper instead after. So thanks for those - maybe you have other good sources for cities that I don't have official sources for. I'm not taking a news article over the official source though.

Last edited by marothisu; 08-02-2019 at 09:04 PM..

Old 08-02-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I post numbers with links to official sources of data - and the last post had the date the number was current through. On those posts I do nothing else (except sometimes pointing out what's new, like a new city)

* Out of the 83 cities in my last post, 53 link directly to the respective city's official police or city website with the data.
* Another 14 link to the major newspaper for that city that keeps count on a page where you can see a list of every homicide for the year.
* Only 6 of my data comes from news articles mentioning in passing what number of homicide it was

81% of the sources in my numbers posts come from either the official police department site or a newspaper that actually shows every single homicide and a great count.

I don't attack your posts, and only go "condescending" after you attack mine first saying the data is wrong without offering up a better source (except New Orleans - thanks for that). You claim you like to use official data source when you can, yet you almost always link to news articles and not to the official sources of data. Some of your news articles you link to don't even say which number homicide it was for the city you're talking about. After you attack one of my posts last week, I go about explaining why my numbers and one from an article might be off but now I'm condescending for explaining why I use what I use.

I respond to you about Las Vegas, literally posting for you the same source of data source I've been linking to in my post for months. You respond with "I stand corrected"... except nothing changed - I've been using the same exact data source for months. It is obvious you don't even bother to look into my sources. You just want to find fault with what I do, but you hardly ever post better sources (exception: New Orleans). Many times you link to a news article without any actual statement to the number of homicides for that city on the year.

GTFO here with this BS. If you want to talk about condescending too, take a look in the mirror.

P.S. If you didn't notice, I changed the source for New Orleans to the one you sent because it's actually good and official. I stopped using the Baton Rouge one after you raised up concern for that and I investigated why the number on that was much higher than the newspaper's count. I started using the newspaper instead after. So thanks for those - maybe you have other good sources for cities that I don't have official sources for. I'm not taking a news article over the official source though.
Bro, shut up...

First of all I've been telling you about Baton Rouge all year, you're just too cool for school to be flexible in your research. Again, I don't need a dissertation on sourcing, you already know I go by police departments, however, because I've had this hobby for years, there are certain cities and police departments who I don't trust, and I reinforce my research by local media accounts....

I've lent links to you in the past, you know it and so do I, so stop...

Further, I don't know how to do the thing where you highlight the link simultaneously as the city's name, and I asked you how to do that lol. I could write the link out for every city otherwise, but i don't have to. Your integrity has very much been called into question on here in the past, not mine...

This is an open forum though, we have a shared hobby. You have an approach and I have another but ultimately our focus is the same. This isn't a paid job so I'm not competitive about it, so Im not in my feelings about it, but like I said, you got it, mane!

Old 08-02-2019, 10:32 PM

First of all, regarding Baton Rouge - you're right in that I was stubborn on that for a bit. I changed it though and I didn't do it at first because I wanted to see why the newspaper number and the BRLA number were different. It took some time, but once I had enough evidence that the source sucked I changed it. The same thing happened with Boston a few months ago but something tells me you didn't notice that. I instantly changed New Orleans once you gave an actual official source for it.

One thing I will try and do now is get data from a news article if the official source is a month or more behind. Also might start doing it for Richmond since we've established the official source is a little behind.

Quote:
I've lent links to you in the past, you know it and so do I, so stop...
You have 71 posts in this thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...37096037&pp=30) but only 11 of them have any links in them (minus one from the beginning that links to the FBI UCR):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post54283093
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post54528369
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post54648565
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post54700986
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post54788077
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post55066417
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post55091844
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post55136743
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post55470031
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post55762233
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post55830287

The only cities represented by these links are: Charlotte, Raleigh, Norfolk, Richmond, Sacramento, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans (see links below).
* I have been using news sources for Charlotte and Raleigh the entire year
* I changed to the New Orleans source right after you gave it to me.
* I was stubborn about the Baton Rouge source for sure, but I wanted to look into why the number between the newspaper and BRLA site was so off.
* Sacramento - used to have it on here but not anymore. No idea why not.
* Norfolk - Crime mapping site is a few days behind, but that is what the Norfolk Police Department links to which is why I use it. Based on my query run a few hours ago, I think the Norfolk site is only behind by a day.

* Richmond - We can both agree the source I use, which is from the RPD, is lagging a little behind.

That is 7 cities you've offered links to in this thread, but I was already basically using 2 of those (Charlotte and Raleigh) the entire year. Another 2 I already changed to, and for some reason I don't have Sacramento listed. Norfolk and Richmond sources are both a little behind.

You have attacked me more than once and stated cities not in these 7 that I'm wrong about, and also said I'm "wrong about a lot." But you haven't given a single link for the cities outside of these 7, yet claim you have. You haven't, but I'm all ears if you have real sources that state numbers.

And regarding the fact that you don't want to enter each and every link. An easy way to do it is to organize it in something like Excel and generate the link for the forum with that (concatenate function):

Last edited by marothisu; 08-02-2019 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-02-2019, 11:19 PM

3,548 posts, read 2,337,266 times
Quote:
It's true for the entire world, especially for more violent crime. The FBI has some statistics about it too. A lot of violent crime isn't "random" at all.
People look at homicide rates and instantly assume you are going to get shot walking to Starbucks in Baltimore, Chicago, St. Louis or Philly. Those rates never take into account where the crimes are occurring.

A lot of studies have shown the vast majority of murders/crimes aren't random and happen in very centralized locations, usually by the same people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City