Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times

Advertisements

if one hangs out only in trashy or touristy areas only then that is who they will meet and surround themselves with. Not all of SoBe is trashy, far from it—nor is the sexy part of Miami limited to SoBe either.

Personally, I’m blessed financially and don’t hang out in lower income neighborhoods on the mainland and suspect neither do 85% of the tourists. Plenty of other nicer neighborhoods to keep me busy (mainland and beach communities) where I run into fellow successful, some extremely successful yet still nice, professionals—not dishwashers or refugees.. I will be happy to list another dozen or so neighborhoods besides the ones already mentioned , upon request.

Where one stays, visits and frequents will shape their opinion of the city. If one is forced to live in a lower income area or stay/visit in a hostel or motel on Washington Ave and does not stray too far from their surroundings , their opinion will be different than one who lives in one of the many neighborhoods mentioned earlier or visits and stays at The St Regis, Four Seasons, Epic Kimpton, East etc etc...Trashy parts exist here as it does in many cities—including sections of NYC, CHI, SF, LA, ad nauseum...I focus on the nice areas—reason why I moved here...I tell friends about Rio—Had I stayed in Copacabana instead of Leblon I never would have returned. Same thing with SoBe—and, no, not all nor the majority of it is trashy—though parts exists....and there is a ton happening on the mainland—not all on the beach.

If one needs recommendations of nicer, not trashy, places to hang I will be happy to provide them....and if Brickell and Wynwood are the ONLY places you hang in while in Miami, we need to broaden your horizons just a little more. The Wharf and some of the places on The River might interest you as would Friday evenings with live music at Design District (Celia Cruz All Stars this Friday) or events at the Perez Art Museum as alternatives to the beach (though Living Room and Saxony at Faena, Wall Lounge, Matador at Edition, The Standard, Regent Cocktail Club and The Forge are far from trashy).

Bottom line, trashy sections—though they exist— do not detract from Miami being a glam and sexy city—just as South Central, parts of Venice, etc etc do not detract from LA being a sexy city. That’s reflected in the prices many pay for real estate or at hotels in desirable neighborhoods. I realize this reply was more intended for the guy who posted before you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Hence why I said only SoBe and not all of Miami haha, cause SoBe is the only trashy place. And yes, Miami has a lot of rich areas, but the city also has nearly a 30% poverty rate, some neighbourhoods have average incomes of $7,000 which are one of the poorest in the country (Miami has both extremes and little in the middle). Not really sure why you brought up homelessness. Yes, homelessness is nothing like the West, but having 4K within the city, per capita is pretty damn high. I see all the homeless people in the CBD, tent cities exist there as well. No need to bring up rich neighbourhoods or homelessness when all we're talking about is why SoBe can be seen as trashy/ratchet.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-26-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 12:11 PM

700 posts, read 421,563 times
Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:19 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Depends—any area with tourists can get trashy and depends how much of a city you have been to and/or how much one gets out.

....hard to label all of Miami Beach as trashy--not when Fisher Island is the wealthiest zip code in the entire US and there is no shortage of dinero and wealth in South of Fifth, Millionaires Row, Star Island, Venetian Islands, Hibiscus Island, La Gorce Island, Bal Harbour, ad nauseum--and that's just Miami Beach, not the mainland.....shoot, the Gaslamp in SD is trashy; French Quarter in NOLA is trashy, Market Street in SF can be trashy; Venice in LA is trashy--again, small portions of a city that attracts tourists....most of us locals--or the ones who live here full time-- don't venture or spend much, if any, time on Ocean Drive or the stretch of Collins Ave near Lincoln Rd Mall or some of Washington Ave--talking about a small area of SoBe which is only a part of Miami Beach, in reality......Memorial Day weekend hosts of out towners for Urban Weekend which effects a small stretch of South Beach which is only one section of Miami Beach.....could be worse--the homeless population in Miami and the beach is tame (not even in the top 10), especially compared to out West.
I agree. In Chicago, Boystown and Wrigleyville can be trashy. I have been to Miami 9 times. While I have seen some ratchet stuff there, it's more in the miniority than the majority. Most of SoBe seems fine, and then you have those folks who get a little crazy, but I don't feel like it's overwhelmingly the situation on the island.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I can agree with you there about mysterious and potentially romantic.. Put a well dressed and sexually liberal Miami couple in Seattle and you have romance..

Put a Seattle couple in Miami and let their Vitamin D levels increase, get a nice tan, learn how to dress up a little bit, smile and have some fun and then may qualify as "sexy" as well.

However, Seattle I always felt was the most overly politically correct and most sexually repressed city in America. They wouldn't even allow strip bars in the city that have full nudity and you cannot even drink or eat food in a strip bar there. Portland, to the South, is a much more sexually open city . Although Portland's grittiness and the druggy and homeless element reduces some of what I consider as "sex appeal"> But , Portland arguably has the best and most numerous amount of strip bars in the country, although some don't consider that a sexy amenity to a city, others may.

Seattle is also the city where I have met more man hating feminists than anywhere else. As far as the male gender is concerned, it kind of kills Seattle's sex appeal.

Anyhow, for those who think Seattle is sexy... The techies of Seattle welcome you.. Come, visit and welcome to Sexy Seattle...

Although, I actually was considering making a documentary called "Sexless in Seattle" about Seattle's aversion to sexiness , but maybe I was living in a weird alternate reality when I was living there.
Anyways, you mentioned you thought a Pam Anderson statue would make a city sexy, I think that's tacky. Those techies are probably pretty wealthy. Some find money and power wealthy. Looks fade, I'm sure Pam looks horrible now.

Seattle to me is mysterious, bustling, and beautiful . to me, that is sexy.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:32 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
I always thought LA had a sexiness to it. Something about the hazy red night background with those long palms that do the trick.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:50 PM

409 posts, read 333,255 times
I'll be biased here but I'll say for me DC. There's that certain "je ne sais quoi" when you walk around certain parts of Central DC which is almost reminiscent of Paris especially night.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:22 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
I'll be biased here but I'll say for me DC. There's that certain "je ne sais quoi" when you walk around certain parts of Central DC which is almost reminiscent of Paris especially night.
Agreed. I was recently around Dupont Circle meeting friends for dinner, and I felt a similar vibe to the Square Victoria part of Montreal.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I agree. In Chicago, Boystown and Wrigleyville can be trashy. I have been to Miami 9 times. While I have seen some ratchet stuff there, it's more in the miniority than the majority. Most of SoBe seems fine, and then you have those folks who get a little crazy, but I don't feel like it's overwhelmingly the situation on the island.
I'm not sure why the Gay neighborhood of Boystown (first official one in the US though very mixed today) and Wriglyville with the Ballpark .... were your picks as trashy? Still highly sought after areas of its primary neighborhood that they make up of Lakeview. Great neighborhood I'd choose .... but pricy for sure with great architecture and gilded-age housing to Chicago greystones and high-rises.

Just because bars and nightlife are in these parts. Doesn't mean trashy. I know a intersection of Boystown has a reputation and seen a cross-dressing hooker already. I do not see it trashes the whole neighborhood. But the whole neighborhood trashy .... no.

I'd love to live in Lakeview/Lincoln Park. very leafy area as much of Chicago. Huge soaring tree-lined streets off the main ones. IS IT SEXY .... well guess that's what your looking for by bars or clubs.... Never heard of Sports bars like around Wrigley sexy......

One of my favorite photos overlooks Lakeview here
with Wrigleyville by the stadium pictured and Boystown
next-door more off to the right as sub-areas of Lakeview
neighborhood that goes to the Lakefront.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:57 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Cosmopolitan would come to mind first when I think of Chicago though those downtown bridges do have a sexiness to them...actually one day I was walking off a slight hangover when a Victoria Secret commercial was taking place on the La Salle Street Bridge—don’t get much sexier than that and my headache went away

Old 02-27-2019, 10:32 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Cosmopolitan would come to mind first when I think of Chicago though those downtown bridges do have a sexiness to them...actually one day I was walking off a slight hangover when a Victoria Secret commercial was taking place on the La Salle Street Bridge—don’t get much sexier than that and my headache went away
I saw a model in the middle median of N Michigan Ave once.... wish I got a photo then too.

Yes when you see all these big brawny guys
rising to the occasion on the Chicago river.
Their virility is truly showing their stuff. In in all its glory and Pride ..
and the feminine flumes of Buckingham Fountain in summer evenings flowing glamour.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City