Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 11:54 AM

1,260 posts, read 944,555 times

Advertisements

Baltimore by far. Chicago has really nothing southern going on about it. Perhaps historically its black population brought some of that. Chicago is pretty much two things. Midwestern and International, that's it.

Heck, it's a rarity to even hear a southern accent in Chicago. For like every 10,000 people you come across in the city maybe one will have a southern accent, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 12:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
SC is the epitome of Deep South. So is GA, AL, MS
SC is good and Southern, no doubt, but "the epitome of the Deep South"? Even Charleston has been significantly "Yankeefied" for several years now.

I've had several folks from Mississippi/the Mississippi Delta region tell me SC isn't Southern like their home region, and I have to agree.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:05 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I can go on with this one, theres a lot of vernacular with subtle differences between Bmore and DMV

Baltimore "mawket"
DMV "Mahket"

Baltimore "well""tell" fell"
DMV "whale", "tayle","fayle"
You gave perfect examples of what I was trying to explain. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:18 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What's interesting is that SC wasn't even included in the original definition of the Deep South. A lot of folks don't know this.
Though often used in history books to refer to the seven states that originally formed the Confederacy, the term "Deep South" did not come into general usage until long after the Civil War ended. Up until that time, "Lower South" was the primary designation for those states. When "Deep South" first began to gain mainstream currency in print in the middle of the 20th century, it applied to the states and areas of Georgia, southern Alabama, northern Florida, Mississippi, north Louisiana, southern Arkansas and East Texas, all historic areas of cotton plantations and slavery. This was the part of the South many considered the "most Southern".

Later, the general definition expanded to include all of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, and often taking in bordering areas of East Texas and North Florida. In its broadest application today, the Deep South is considered to be "an area roughly coextensive with the old cotton belt from eastern North Carolina through South Carolina west into East Texas, with extensions north and south along the Mississippi".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_S...20War%20period.

In what sense would you say that SC is every bit as Deep South as Mississippi in the 21st century? I'm honestly not seeing it.
I was mostly going by history instead of currently. I didn’t know that South Carolina wasn’t included in the original definition.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:25 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
SC is good and Southern, no doubt, but "the epitome of the Deep South"? Even Charleston has been significantly "Yankeefied" for several years now.

I've had several folks from Mississippi/the Mississippi Delta region tell me SC isn't Southern like their home region, and I have to agree.
Just about every city in the coastal southern states have been yankeefied with the exception of Baltimore. SC has that old plantation south, kudzu, Gullah, Geechee, low country south feel to me personally. It's wild that what I think of when I think about the deep south has now becoming overrun with northerners.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:18 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Just about every city in the coastal southern states have been yankeefied with the exception of Baltimore. SC has that old plantation south, kudzu, Gullah, Geechee, low country south feel to me personally. It's wild that what I think of when I think about the deep south has now becoming overrun with northerners.
Coastal SC is growing much faster and has been for much longer, by far, than coastal Mississippi. Check out the growth rates for Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head versus Biloxi and Gulfport.

Mississippi has 10x the old plantation South feel than SC, which is one of the fastest-growing states in the country and it's not due to a bunch of folks from other parts of the South moving there.

Coastal MS is more southern than coastal SC, Jackson is more southern than Columbia, the Memphis suburbs are more southern than the Charlotte suburbs, Upstate SC is more southern than northeastern MS, etc. There is more Northern influence in practically every part of SC than MS and statistics back that up.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:57 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
I’d say Baltimore.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:13 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Baltimore doesn't copy NYC or any other city for that matter. Who in last 10-15 years has copied anything from NYC. More cities copy Baltimore than the other way around.
Yeah, and what would that mean for Chicago anyway? Chicago doesn't try to copy anyone either. It has its own Midwestern identity.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:17 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
How would this possibly be Chicago? Haven’t read through all the posts...

Old 06-22-2020, 02:19 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You kind of just answered your own question. Most of black Chicagoans are from the deep south vs most Baltimoreans being from the Carolinas. Mississippi "out-southerns" the Carolinas in every way, shape and form. Plus, black Chicagoans have a very distinct southern drawl. Black Baltimore has a few choice words that are southern (like dug = dog) but not across the board like Chicago. My ex GF from Chicago use to say, she was going to see her Deddie = Daddy.
“Deddie” Lol a good friend of mine from Chicago was always going on about her deddie Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City