Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 08:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Your ears are definitely more trained than mine then. I don't hear the Delaware Valley aspect.

Happy Juneteenth, BTW
It's a mix IMO, but hey it is what it is.

And same to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 01:12 AM

233 posts, read 344,418 times
What about white Baltimore people? How are they more Southern than white Chicagoans?

Old 06-20-2020, 02:08 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
I definitely don't have a strong ear for the Delaware Valley. It's obvious to me though, to hear Tidewater in the Black Baltimore accent, its manifested in both white and black Baltimore accents...

You're gonna hear more drawls from Petersburg, which is Central Virginia, because it sits not far from essentially the confluence of Central and Southside Virginia. For a chunk of Southsiders, Petersburg is the closest "large" city until you get to Danville or Lynchburg, and that's reflected in the historical gravity of certain Southside areas (basically the 85/95 South corridor cities and counties) towards Petersburg. A funny distinction in the region is if you go immediately East to Hopewell and Prince George there is a strong shift towards more contemporary Tidewater, whereas Petersburg has that Southside underlayer. Really interesting thing...

Richmond's native accent (and Central Virginia in general) is off the Tidewater tree as well. I always thought that, then when I lived in The Beach it only affirmed it for me....but of course, all three of Rich/DC/Bmore have unique aspects to them, my only point was they are all of the same dialect tree and for me it's pretty easily identifiable when around people from all three areas...

Old 06-20-2020, 03:23 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
What about white Baltimore people? How are they more Southern than white Chicagoans?
Many have roots in WV, especially southern WV, which is essentially a southern area more similar to eastern KY and western VA than an northern state. Chicago is very Midwestern so I'm not sure why you think it's southern.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:35 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Baltimore-DC-Richmond, is a cluster. I've long acknowledged that the entire region is more like itself in some ways than it is other parts of the country. However EACH have their own separate nuances to them. Baltimore to me, at least in the "black accent" is a mix of Tidewater, with what I hear from Blacks from the Delaware Valley. One has to have a trained ear to even understand that though.
The funny thing about the three cities are the degrees or levels of Tidewaterness one can hear. According to Aschmann's dialect site, Maryland, DC, and VA were heavy with the Tidewater accent...that's backed up with the older speakers. I read somewhere that DC used to be like how Richmond was before the Fed Gov't expanded and left it in the dust. The accents of John Warner (DC) and Douglas Wilder (RVA) have Tidewater features that are currently lost or weakening outside of Hampton Roads. Baltimore and DC have always had the "big city" status longer than Richmond but I do think they are part of the same geographic area/region even though Richmond is sleepier than the other two (RVA is destined to be a DC outpost or satellite city like place).

Old 06-20-2020, 05:19 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
The funny thing about the three cities are the degrees or levels of Tidewaterness one can hear. According to Aschmann's dialect site, Maryland, DC, and VA were heavy with the Tidewater accent...that's backed up with the older speakers. I read somewhere that DC used to be like how Richmond was before the Fed Gov't expanded and left it in the dust. Baltimore and DC have always had the "big city" status longer than Richmond but I do think they are part of the same geographic area/region even though Richmond is sleepier than the other two (RVA is destined to be a DC outpost or satellite city like place).
This is a fact and it's so obvious, it's amazing that people are confused or shocked when someone mentions it (not anyone in this thread as of yet). But over the years on here this has gotten strong, erroneous opinions to the contrary...

It's always amusing when people assert that Richmond is in some whole entire other region than the other two despite centuries of shared history and other evidence on the table. I think it's easier for people to see if you grew up or spent time between all three rather than just one or worse, make your position based on having never spent any real time amongst locals in either of the three...

Richmond is older than DC so DC is what Rich would look like with everything that the notoriety and amenities of being the nation's capital bring. All three are alike fundamentally and the entire Delmarva area, at its root, is from the same dialect tree/family, of which Tidewater is the oldest, earliest developed that history expanded to these other areas over time and took on unique characteristics in different parts of the region...

Old 06-20-2020, 06:04 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
I agree Murk. They all are distinct on a whole like Theresident09 and Kode are bringing out but there's some Tidewater-Chesapeake glue there (reiteration for those who think Richmond is Mobile and MD is Northern New Jersey).

I would say Chicago is more Southern influenced. Why? Baltimore, being in the gray area region already had characteristics over Chicago but the migration brought on a cultural feature that would be more noticeable in Chicago's region. Yes, many Chicago "Blacks" do sound like recent Mississippi transplants. A person would notice more if the Maybach went sporty over an Audi.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is a fact and it's so obvious, it's amazing that people are confused or shocked when someone mentions it (not anyone in this thread as of yet). But over the years on here this has gotten strong, erroneous opinions to the contrary...

It's always amusing when people assert that Richmond is in some whole entire other region than the other two despite centuries of shared history and other evidence on the table. I think it's easier for people to see if you grew up or spent time between all three rather than just one or worse, make your position based on having never spent any real time amongst locals in either of the three...

Richmond is older than DC so DC is what Rich would look like with everything that the notoriety and amenities of being the nation's capital bring. All three are alike fundamentally and the entire Delmarva area, at its root, is from the same dialect tree/family, of which Tidewater is the oldest, earliest developed that history expanded to these other areas over time and took on unique characteristics in different parts of the region...
There were people living in the present day National Capital region prior to DC becoming a planned city however. Those people already had local dialect and accents. DC was just carved out of VA/MD when made official. But to your point in it's entirety the natives in the region spanning up to 150 miles north-south does display some level of Tidewater accent. Baltimore has the least of this though, and there is a different nuance in each of the three major cities.

I'll also say this, the "Tidewater" accent isn't deeply Southern to me, it's just kind of middle ground. I don't think the speech of most people in this part of the country is very Southern sounding (white or black), and I've been to every state in the Census designated South except Texas. It's a very generic sounding accent to me, and this is without even adding in all the Northern transplants here that further dilute any "southernness" here.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-20-2020 at 04:11 PM..

Old 06-20-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
I agree Murk. They all are distinct on a whole like Theresident09 and Kode are bringing out but there's some Tidewater-Chesapeake glue there (reiteration for those who think Richmond is Mobile and MD is Northern New Jersey).

I would say Chicago is more Southern influenced. Why? Baltimore, being in the gray area region already had characteristics over Chicago but the migration brought on a cultural feature that would be more noticeable in Chicago's region. Yes, many Chicago "Blacks" do sound like recent Mississippi transplants. A person would notice more if the Maybach went sporty over an Audi.
At least with the Black population, some Chicagoans accent sounds more Southern than Baltimore, DC, and Richmond.

I think this thread is about more than that though. Overall Chicago doesn't have much Southern flavor, it is decidedly Midwestern.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:18 PM

233 posts, read 344,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
At least with the Black population, some Chicagoans accent sounds more Southern than Baltimore, DC, and Richmond.

I think this thread is about more than that though. Overall Chicago doesn't have much Southern flavor, it is decidedly Midwestern.
But what southern flavor does Baltimore have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City