Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 05:27 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The "region" where Baltimore is, is definitely not southern. Yes, I have seen the U.S. Census Bureau map/classification. No, I don't care, as there are several other reputable organizations that would classify it as a Northeastern city, and no one organization is the end-all be all for dictating which states are in which region. In basically every functional and meaningful metric possible, Baltimore is a *northeastern* and northern city, and the region it is in, at best is simply a mix of the upper south and Northeast; similar to Cincinnati and St Louis.
Because Census Bureau data is wide-ranging, frequently and consistently collected, and used by a multitude of both government and non-government agencies and entities for a variety of purposes, its regional classification of states is the closest thing that exists to a popularly-recognized source for such, whether seen as presently accurate or not. Historically, there's no doubt that Baltimore was typically considered Southern, even if something of an outlier. Present day, while factors such as history and demography are still used in classifying geographical regions, population distribution (metropolitan networks/"megaregions") and common cultural and economic ties are usually considered more salient factors, but not universally so. When you Google "Baltimore" and "North[east]ern city", you'll see several present-day sources stating it in a matter-of-fact way as something generally accepted. Googling "Baltimore" and "Southern city," on the other hand--outside of blogs and forums like this one--almost always turns up historical sources and references.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 06-23-2020 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 05:59 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Chicago's blacks vary a lot. There are some with Midwestern (white-sounding) accents, some with a kind of hybrid accents, and some with stereotypical southern accents.

In Baltimore/DC, almost all blacks have a degree of a southern twang to their accents.

In Chicago, there is a mix to the black accents. Here are some samples of the variety of different black accents:

In Baltimore and DC, you can't find many native blacks without a hint of a southern accent. I grew up there. I would say that there are a lot more southern-sounding blacks in Baltimore/DC. I agree that you will find more deep-southern sounding blacks in Chicago than in Baltimore/DC. But in terms of overall percentages, you will find more traditional southern sounding blacks in Baltimore/DC than Chicago, which makes sense given that that region once was (and technically still is Southern).
Nah. What applies to one region applies to the other. There are different accents county by county as you go around the DMV-Baltimore region. People in Frederick, or MoCo, sound very little like someone from SE DC. People in Annapolis may sound similar, but certainly have a different overall accent than West Baltimore.

In each city, you have an overall regional twang, then a "core" accent of a certain subset of people. I don't talk the same as someone in Southeast. I'm not from there, and I notice the difference as well as others.

Coming from the East Coast, this accent has twang to it, even if you claim the DC region's to be southern sounding, we are used to hearing a Jersey, NYC accent more frequently than Chicago's so it stands out. The "foreign" accents we hear the most are from the places North of us.

To me this is a very twangy, country Black accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8PKfLPOQCM&t=294s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ2OfDNWwjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ltqlEub8g

I'll give you Chicago vs DC in a battle for more Southern tone of speech, but Baltimore is decidedly more Northeast/ East Coast Sounding, easily IMO. It's 35-40 miles from DC, but it's like crossing the North/South accent divide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAutQ0U0Tpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbXRLnAaaqs

Mo'nique interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpvC3j9Qxus

Old 06-23-2020, 06:14 PM

^You need some true hood Baltimore videos and at least one Chicago-based local TV program or something similar for a more apples-to-apples comparison IMO.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
^You need some true hood Baltimore videos and at least one Chicago-based local TV program or something similar for a more apples-to-apples comparison IMO.
We could cherry pick back and forth all day. Bottom line like I stated each of these cities have a "core" accent that most of us would consider what the cities are most known for sounding like, but then also have people with a milder version of an accent from that region. Just like in DC area, Mya doesn't sound or talk like Shy Glizzy, he is from SE and she is from Largo. She doesn't have that exaggerated version of a "DC" accent. Which contradicts the post about everyone in that region having the same tone Southern accent. That's simply not accurate. Just like those videos of Chicagoans are mostly dudes from the Southside etc. I'm aware that many in Chicago's accent are not that exaggerated, it's a mixed bag.

The overall point of the last post is that Baltimore clearly has a less Southern twang in it's local Black accent than Chicago. Their accent is like a step and a half down from Philly.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
We could cherry pick back and forth all day. Bottom line like I stated each of these cities have a "core" accent that most of us would consider what the cities are most known for sounding like, but then also have people with a milder version of an accent from that region. Just like in DC area, Mya doesn't sound or talk like Shy Glizzy, he is from SE and she is from Largo. She doesn't have that exaggerated version of a "DC" accent. When contradicts the post about everyone in that region having the same tone Southern accent. That's simply not accurate. Just like those videos of Chicagoans are mostly dudes from the Southside etc. I'm aware that many in Chicago's accent are not that exaggerated, it's a mixed bag.

The overall point of the last post is that Baltimore clearly has a less Southern twang in it's local Black accent than Chicago. Their accent is like a step and a half down from Philly.
I don't think it's cherry-picking to show videos depicting the same/very similar types of people talking for both cities for the sake of a more fair/realistic comparison, especially when it comes to more mainstream and more culturally isolated examples.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
I don't think it's cherry-picking to show videos depicting the same/very similar types of people talking for both cities for the sake of a more fair/realistic comparison, especially when it comes to more mainstream and more culturally isolated examples.
Gervonta Davis has a very strong Baltimore accent. He seems to have an issue speaking publicly, however. He sounds punch drunk some times, which is not associated with the Baltimore accent.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:33 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Baltimore people definitely sound northern. YOu can hear some southern twang but its mostly just the Baltimore accent. Id have to agree DC to Bmore is like crossing some north/south linguistic line. When i first got to DC i couldn't even understand some of the black people there. No hyperbole, id have to ask them to repeat and listen closely way too often. Sometimes id just kind of guess what they were saying. Not the case in Bmore.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Problem is I've done this in other threads, so it's becoming repetitive IMO. I'll just stick with the point that Black accents in Baltimore to me overall sound more East Coast/ NE, than the Chicago black accent. I'm positive that I'm not alone in this thinking. I don't think that Baltimore has true Southern speech period, no matter what "version" of their accent is posted here. I lived in the city for 6 years, I know it very well.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Gervonta Davis has a very strong Baltimore accent. He seems to have an issue speaking publicly, however. He sounds punch drunk some times, which is not associated with the Baltimore accent.
I'm not sure if boxers in general are the best representatives of regional accents. Their job entails sustaining multiple blows to the jaw and head lol.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:38 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Baltimore and Philly black accent are probably closer than Baltimore and DC...

But in DC and Baltimore, both of those black populations say 'Urrick' instead of Airrick (Eric).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City