Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 03:52 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,962,686 times

Advertisements

Does Fort Worth even matter? North Dallas along 35 or the tollway has more towers than downtown fort worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 04:07 PM

544 posts, read 1,113,833 times
My wife and I had a stop at DFW on our way to Vegas. Riding the tram it looked like the skyline went on forever. Does anyone have a picture of the whole skyline from the airport?

Old 01-27-2021, 05:30 PM

9,986 posts, read 6,692,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Houston is just as multipolar as DFW.
The city limits are a non factor in this case.
What does matter is that there are a dozen employment centers in both metros.
The Fact that Greenspoint and the energy corridor, City center, and greenspoint are still in the city limits are not relevant because it's not like you have to go over a wall or through a gate to traverse city limits.
The distance from Houston's Downtown to these employment centers are probably further than to Irving, and probably even Plano.

DFW is more centralized than Houston. But both are very much multipolar.
Uptown, the Energy Corridor, TMC, TW and Sugarland are very distinct areas of commerce and some of them have Skylines that would give mid sized cities a run for their money.

I don't think Dallas Skyline is small for its size though.
I just think the metro is just not as centralized as Atlanta and Houston and far from constrained as Miami.

Dallas is Corporate Campus king. It's another reason why I think Austin will soon have more 400fters.
We can sit here bad talking suburban style campuses but it is a big selling point for most companies that move to DFW, it is a lot cheaper and not everyone wants the hassle of traffic driving into town.

Campuses like that ExxonMobil campus in Spring looks like a mini city itself.
https://s.hdnux.com/photos/46/71/76/...9/3/1200x0.jpg
No it’s not. In the sense that there are powerful suburbs, yes. Woodlands, spring, sugar land etc. But DFW has two anchors with a sizable gap in between. All Houston suburbs revolve around Houston. He’s right about that one

Old 01-27-2021, 05:30 PM

4,441 posts, read 6,328,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Dallas gap Fort Worth. It’s not rocket science
“Gap” sounds like nothing. There’s suburbia in between and lots of development important to the metro area within that “gap”.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:35 PM

9,986 posts, read 6,692,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
“Gap” sounds like nothing. There’s suburbia in between and lots of development important to the metro area within that “gap”.
No One is claiming there a bunch of trees in between. A large lot of suburbia doesn’t have the anchor concentration that’s found at the ends

Old 01-27-2021, 05:46 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,837,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No it’s not. In the sense that there are powerful suburbs, yes. Woodlands, spring, sugar land etc. But DFW has two anchors with a sizable gap in between. All Houston suburbs revolve around Houston. He’s right about that one
Read what I said before you disagree.
Powerful suburbs have nothing to do what I said.
The only difference between the employment centers in either is arbitrary city limits
Who cares if you call it another city or another area? The fact of the matter is those employment centers are NOT all concentrated in one area in within the metro.

Having an invisible line that says this area is Dallas and this area is Irving means nothing.

This is about SKYLINES!
What on earth does powerful have to with the fact that both metros DO NOT CONCENTRATE THE EMPLOYMENT CENTERS IN ONE AREA.

We area not discussing suburbs.
Read the context before you disagree.
The poster I replied to suggested that the reason someone may think that Dallas downtown was small for it size was because the metro employment was scattered instead of centralized.

Now if your claim is that Houston isnt multipolar in terms of those employment areas then it maybe that you don't know much about the city you live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Exactly. I don't think he understands what is being discussed.
There's lots of important areas outside of The major cities in the metro. The fact that they are considered other cities in DFW and that analogous areas in Houston are considered the same city has no bearing on the conversation, but he does not get analogy at all ( I gave up trying to break it down for him in the Texas is the new Silicon valley thread).

He fails to realize that those areas that are independent cities in DFW could have been within the Dallas city limits had Dallas annexed those areas when it had a chance. What he fails to get is the discussion is about multipolar employment centers on the effect of the skyline and has zero to do with what those areas are called.

Houston is definitely a one city metro but the employment structure is far from centralized.
It is more centralized than DFW but just about any city is more centralized than DFW.

Last edited by atadytic19; 01-27-2021 at 06:04 PM..

Old 01-27-2021, 06:08 PM

4,441 posts, read 6,328,174 times
I think some people do it to try to minimalist the scale or impact of DFW as a whole by breaking it up into smaller groupings.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,837,390 times
yeah. The distance between Downtown Dallas and Plano is what 15 miles? Thats like the distance From Downtown Houston to the energy corridor. It's the same darn thing.
Both are centers of employment within the metro instead of all concentrated in one area.
Meaning the jobs are scattered in both metros with the only difference being the imaginary line around the cities.

Who knows when you are in Dallas city limits abs and when you are in Plano.
Is all the same thing. Unless you are paying attention for the signs that say living Dallas city limits you don't feel any different going from one to the other.
There's continuous development all the way through. No different from going from Downtown Houston to Westchase or Greenspoint or to the dozen other decentralized employment centers

Old 01-27-2021, 06:56 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,859,572 times
Quote:
Read what I said before you disagree.
Powerful suburbs have nothing to do what I said.
The only difference between the employment centers in either is arbitrary city limits
Who cares if you call it another city or another area? The fact of the matter is those employment centers are NOT all concentrated in one area in within the metro.

Having an invisible line that says this area is Dallas and this area is Irving means nothing.

This is about SKYLINES!
What on earth does powerful have to with the fact that both metros DO NOT CONCENTRATE THE EMPLOYMENT CENTERS IN ONE AREA.

We area not discussing suburbs.
Read the context before you disagree.
The poster I replied to suggested that the reason someone may think that Dallas downtown was small for it size was because the metro employment was scattered instead of centralized.

Now if your claim is that Houston isnt multipolar in terms of those employment areas then it maybe that you don't know much about the city you live in.

Exactly. I don't think he understands what is being discussed.
There's lots of important areas outside of The major cities in the metro. The fact that they are considered other cities in DFW and that analogous areas in Houston are considered the same city has no bearing on the conversation, but he does not get analogy at all ( I gave up trying to break it down for him in the Texas is the new Silicon valley thread).

He fails to realize that those areas that are independent cities in DFW could have been within the Dallas city limits had Dallas annexed those areas when it had a chance. What he fails to get is the discussion is about multipolar employment centers on the effect of the skyline and has zero to do with what those areas are called.

Houston is definitely a one city metro but the employment structure is far from centralized.
It is more centralized than DFW but just about any city is more centralized than DFW.
You’re speaking big facts. Your on it today.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:56 PM

2,255 posts, read 1,426,982 times
Quote:
yeah. The distance between Downtown Dallas and Plano is what 15 miles? Thats like the distance From Downtown Houston to the energy corridor. It's the same darn thing.
Both are centers of employment within the metro instead of all concentrated in one area.
Meaning the jobs are scattered in both metros with the only difference being the imaginary line around the cities.

Who knows when you are in Dallas city limits abs and when you are in Plano.
Is all the same thing. Unless you are paying attention for the signs that say living Dallas city limits you don't feel any different going from one to the other.
There's continuous development all the way through. No different from going from Downtown Houston to Westchase or Greenspoint or to the dozen other decentralized employment centers
I guess there is an argument that Fort Worth is still a much bigger secondary pole than any in Houston. That said, how much does this actually matter? Do people in DFW often visit FW? I honestly don't know. Personally I spend a fair amount of time in Dallas and will go to Cowboy games in Arlington, but I really don't know much about FW.

Both metros are massive and sprawling. I feel like the thing that is really notable about Houston is the lack of zoning. DFW feels much more partitioned to me because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City