Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Care to explain, because it's definitely not killing everyone like it was back in the early-mid 90s. If you are talking about the overall picture then yeah, I agree with you but today it's not in a higher class than anyone because we have battle rappers that are acute mentally everywhere, of course you have some NY impression but it's from the legends and not really the peers...besides they take the original hip-hop formula and make it their own and incorporate locale regional slang instead of NY slang (that how it's supposed to be).
Because I measure success by quality, not ****ty radio rap, ringtone rap and album sales...

Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Because I measure success by quality, not ****ty radio rap, ringtone rap and album sales...
Same here, our underground scene is improving and I listen to only a few mainstream artist who are of good quality. I don't really listen to the "high society" content from rappers instead I listen to artist who are talking about real life events that affect them because I can see where they're coming from and I really do like when someone tells a story that lyrical. I listen to hometown crunk before I get on the court, though.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:12 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The thread titl. You probably wa is "Top Hip Hop Cities". When I read it, I decided to go on substance/lyrics, and not what's playing on the radio (as many people in this thread did). You're looking at it a different way. There is no denying that Atlanta has been on top of the charts for a couple of years, but it's mostly garbage dance music. So what if every club is playing it? Also, we said right now, and right now (going by charts like you are) Ludacris and OutKast are not on top. You said yourself OutKast's CD drops NEXT year.

Right now it doesnt matter what you think is garbage they sold albums they made it to the top of the charts DEAL wit it . you probably was dancing your life away to those songs too lol. And to be real T.I and lil wayne or doing it big in 08 no one from the Northeast is, no one is feeling them right now. So Face it ATlanta is a top hip hop city you said it they been on the map and charts for a couple of years. Under the catergory hip hop so rather you like the music are not the charts speak different Thanks

Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
overdone? From the home of new dances every 2 months? All the new dances for the kids to learn are pretty much overdone as well as the new sounds of Snap and Crunk which happily went away.

And Atlanta nor any other city will never be the home of hip hop. New York will forever be the home of hip hop. I don't care for the charts. Does that mean Nelly is one of the greatest rappers of all time because he sold over 10 million albums. Music is basically dumbed down and sounds the same. Lack of creativity and lack of content is what drives music today. Or basically, an image. So please stop with the sales thing. Doesn't mean a thing.

Right CREATIVITY everyone doesnt not have to sound like JAY Z NAS 50 cent. The Atlanta rappers brought something different to the market people liked it and the charts proved it SALES SALES SALES they sold which means people liked it so have a seat

Old 11-25-2008, 01:18 AM

61 posts, read 155,142 times
how is chi-town #7, duh???

Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Right CREATIVITY everyone doesnt not have to sound like JAY Z NAS 50 cent. The Atlanta rappers brought something different to the market people liked it and the charts proved it SALES SALES SALES they sold which means people liked it so have a seat
Sales =/= quality music

Old 11-25-2008, 05:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Right now it doesnt matter what you think is garbage they sold albums they made it to the top of the charts DEAL wit it . you probably was dancing your life away to those songs too lol. And to be real T.I and lil wayne or doing it big in 08 no one from the Northeast is, no one is feeling them right now. So Face it ATlanta is a top hip hop city you said it they been on the map and charts for a couple of years. Under the catergory hip hop so rather you like the music are not the charts speak different Thanks
Uh...hell to the no I wasn't dancing to those songs. I don't snap or do the Soulja Boy when I go to a party. Lil Wayne is not from Atlanta either. You type like he is. Only TI is doing it big from New York and artists from up there have had some impressive albums release this year that have sold well (Nas for example). You measure success on album sales right? Underground artists like Trae and ZRo are living like millionaires without any of their albums going gold...

Old 11-25-2008, 07:12 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
About ATL hip-hop I think Luda's the legit face of Southern hip-hop. Really, if you're from Texas you have no business talking down on the scene of ATL hip hop, I said y o u h a v e n o b u s i n e s s t a l k i n g d o w n o n t h e s c e n e o f A T L h i p h o p. T.I. has talant he just needs to be consistent, I'm not afraid to admit it, we do have a lot of people who rep our city an have no skill but I do respect the hustle. Seriously, Young Dro is nice and Killer Mike's good too...Our legend is Andre 3000 though.
Many people who know REAL hip hop will tell you Houston is much better than ATL. Houston's rap scene even gets respect in northern cities.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:43 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
LMAO....What did you bring? I give you Kast and Goodie Mob. I also give you Luda and maybe TI. But everybody else? Nope. Jeezy is not creative. he just talks about drugs and that appeals to not only the inner city people, but the suburbanites who has no idea what that lifestyle is all about. The thing is, that's been talk about all the time before anybody has heard of a Jeezy. His lyrics are terrible, his flow sucks, his wordplay is garbage, and his production is average. Dem Franchize boyz? D4L? Yung Joc? lol.

Guess you don't like quality music. That's the thing with some Atlantans. They hype their garbage up so bad but the ones that are good or maybe are good, they shove to the side because they think they are too "east coast." Oh and sales don't mean a thing. that just means you have a bunch of sheep following you nowadays. If they really cared about quality, they wouldn't buy it much less even look at it.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Not my argument but NY can't help but to be the home of hip-hop the way NO's the home of jazz but that doesn't mean that it's immune from being outclassed from time to time (like now).

Atlanta's version of crunk was terrible. Memphis was and still is way better and it should be since they started it. I don't care for chopped and screwed anyway but it didn't go into the mainstream and annoy people like crunk did. Both are terrible IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City