Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I feel Virginia is like Texas when it comes to labeling it. The southern half of Virginia has a very southern feel to it with cities like Suffolk,VA Beach, and Chesapeake. The northern half has a northern feel to it with cities like Charlottesville. Richmond,Va is a divide been northern and southern.
Agree. Although historically southern, Virgina shares cultural characteristics of the Northeast as well as the Southeast.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:57 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If Virginia is not the South, than what is it? Please do not say the North because it has NOTHING in common with it. I was one of those Texans that had this same belief about Virginia until I came up here. If anyone believes that the state outside of NOVA is not Southern, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

Virginia is very much a Southern state and it is not that different from North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.
North Carolina and Tennessee? No offense, but saying that Virginia is like states in the "upper" South isn't really helping your argument.

now tell me that richmond or newport news are very similar to jackson, ms or baton rouge or tuscaloosa, al...and then i'll analyze my opinion.

people try and tell me that texas isn't the south and then I explain to them how there is practically no difference between a city like longview, tx and jackson or tuscaloosa.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Wow. That has to be one of the most acurate post ive heard. Espacially about Houston and the whole state of texas for that matter dominating the gulf coast. I new hundreds of people from New Orleans when I was in Texas, and that was 2yrs before katrina. And I didnt even live in Houston I lived in Austin. People have been moving to texas from NO for years. Most people think that the New Orleans residents in TX is just an influx of evacuees, but in reality this migration of new orleans residents to the state of texas has been happening for many many years. Alot of east texas residents are even descendents of louisiana creoles. Especially in the Houston area and port arthur TX. Beyonce Knoweles who is from Houston is part louisiana creole from her mom. And her mom is from Galveston. See what I mean. Its not just ATL where residents of other southern states flock to. So nice post. I really agree.
thank you, polo.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I feel Virginia is like Texas when it comes to labeling it. The southern half of Virginia has a very southern feel to it with cities like Suffolk,VA Beach, and Chesapeake. The northern half has a northern feel to it with cities like Charlottesville. Richmond,Va is a divide been northern and southern.
except that the "southern" parts of texas are level with the rest of the south. IT'S AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MAP. try finding many people in VA who identifies with, let alone knows someone in houston or dallas.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
except that the "southern" parts of texas are level with the rest of the south. IT'S AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MAP. try finding many people in VA who identifies with, let alone knows someone in houston or dallas.
Well for starters, my dad is from VA and so is one of my friends.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Based on what? If it's geography, then both are Southern. If it's culture, Virginia makes a MUCH stronger case for being Southern than Miami, NoVA notwithstanding.
looking on a map, virginia doesn't even look like it's in the south. regardless, i disagree completely, so...

Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The capital of the South (the confederacy) was Richmond.
Yep. The capital of the confederacy was moved from Montgomery Al to Richmond Va. At the time, the Confederate capital (Richmond)was only 100 miles to the south of the Union capital, Washington D.C.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 AM

I've always said that anyone who doesn't think of Miami/SoFL as southern must not know any native black Miamians (who are as southern as southern gets...which is a good thing). Not trying to make this about race, but people think Miami/SoFL, and their mind automatically goes to the Latino culture and the northern transplants.

Just recently I've read some folklore stories by zora neale hurston that took place in South Florida, and the characters and situations were like those I read about other blacks in the south. Historically and presently, Miami is southern, with a Latin flavor.

Hispanics are the majority in Houston. does that mean that Houston isn't southern?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,408 times
Quote:
I've always said that anyone who doesn't think of Miami/SoFL as southern must not know any native black Miamians (who are as southern as southern gets...which is a good thing). Not trying to make this about race, but people think Miami/SoFL, and their mind automatically goes to the Latino culture and the northern transplants.

Just recently I've read some folklore stories by zora neale hurston that took place in South Florida, and the characters and situations were like those I read about other blacks in the south. Historically and presently, Miami is southern, with a Latin flavor.

Hispanics are the majority in Houston. does that mean that Houston isn't southern?

I am from miami and we were always taught that Miami was the south even in the books i mean its a known fact

Old 12-17-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
North Carolina and Tennessee? No offense, but saying that Virginia is like states in the "upper" South isn't really helping your argument.

now tell me that richmond or newport news are very similar to jackson, ms or baton rouge or tuscaloosa, al...and then i'll analyze my opinion.

people try and tell me that texas isn't the south and then I explain to them how there is practically no difference between a city like longview, tx and jackson or tuscaloosa.
Here's the story about Va, Md, Tx... which I know has been beaten down to death on this forum whether they are north or south. Having lived in Va for most of my life, ppl from pa/nj & north look at us as the 'south'. People from GA, Al, Ms, etc.. see us as northern. So obviously there is an identity crisis here.

Took a road trip from Richmond VA to Dallas Tx this past summer. Went through a lot of southern states. Based on my limited travels, it seemed like East Texas (discounting Houston) was the most 'southern' as i guess most ppl would define by accent & mannerisms. But just my opinion.

Marshall Tx had a completely different feel from Richmond, as did other cities/towns that way.

Arbitrarily, I guess you could pick a number of cities that could be 'the capital of the south'. But to pick a city based on its size is stretching it a bit. Washington D.C. is the capital of the United States but it is not representative of everywhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City