Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
They're not dumb like that.
Exactly, they know better. BOTH cities know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 05:58 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
?????

Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 AM

894 posts, read 2,381,380 times
here is a good web site about chicago gangs..not sure if la h something like this if la has anything like this..

chicagogangs.org

Old 05-28-2009, 11:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
here is a good web site about chicago gangs..not sure if la h something like this if la has anything like this..

chicagogangs.org
Try this site if you want to know anything current about LA gangs.

Street Gangs Resource Center - Los Angeles and California | The Gang Experts | Expert Witness | Migration | Culture | Hip Hop | Youth

Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,631,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
LA's murder rate isn't actually that high - it's almost half the rate of Chicago. The LA region has areas with fairly bad gang activity (Compton city, for example), but many of those are outside the city of LA itself.
And then there are cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Camden, Flint, Youngstown, St. Louis, Baltimore, etc who all have twice the homicide rates as those cities.

The problem is the media portraying cities with gangs as the most violent. LA or Chicago or NYC are no where near the most dangerous cities.. yet people not living in the cities above watch movies and TV and are led by false information to believe that those cities are dangerous.

Interesting to note as well, the Top 10 most dangerous cities are mainly located in the MIDWEST. 7/10 are I believe.

Even Columbus Ohio has a gang culture now that was previously non-existent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KPHL6ottOA (that's in Columbus)

Last edited by WeSoHood; 06-17-2009 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 PM

894 posts, read 2,381,380 times
more than half of chicago's homicides are gang related and i believe thats the most in the nation

Old 08-03-2009, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 10,926 times
Go to any police station and they can give you this information as well as where sex offenders live and crime rates.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodim1958 View Post
Go to any police station and they can give you this information as well as where sex offenders live and crime rates.
You think I should walk into my local police station and ask "which cities have the most gang activity?" rather than just look it up on the internet from multiple sources? I bet the best answer the police would give is, "you want to use our computer and google it?"

Old 08-03-2009, 05:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,189 times
Chicago

Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,737 times
I live in Chicago and yes it is rough here with the gangs- I teach on the south side in Englewood, and just yesterday there was gang related shooting just down the street at 4:30 in the afternoon, 3 men shot and an elderly woman. It's crazy- but I don't think that gangs proliferate simply because it is cool or in-style. There are real economic issues that cripple certain groups in various cities and then couple that with racism and segregation (Chicago being a good example), gang activity will flourish. Chicago has a history of crushing social movements and taking hardline, shoot-to-kill approaches to gang related issues. As a result of this, gangs have intensified here, as opposed to New York, where outreach approaches were utilized to a greater degree. Cities with large gang problems could find ways of transforming the situation into something collectivistic and progressive, alas it doesn't seem to be the direction government will take- even given the current administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City