Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times

Advertisements

I nominate the town *cough* of Camden, NJ *cough*.

They had a whopping 55 murders in a tiny town of barely 79,000 people. Not only is it right across the Delaware River from Center City Philadelphia, it is one of the most crime-ridden, poverty stricken cities in the entire country.

Pathetic.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

They had a whopping 55 murders in a tiny town of barely 79,000 people. Not only is it right across the Delaware River from Center City Philadelphia, it is one of the most crime-ridden, poverty stricken cities in the entire country.

Pathetic.
I guess you posted this because I posted the truth about Orlando's 123 murders. Camden is part of the Philadelphia metro area which is ranked 84 in crime while the Orlando metro is ranked 22 (so as you can see there is far more crime in Orlando). Also you must have never driven through the Orange Blossom Trail, Pine Hills, and Bithlo sections of Orlando and seen the extreme poverty and despair of the people in those areas. Unfortunately there is poverty in every city in the United States.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Metr...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
Some may argue West Garfield Park, South Shore, or maybe Austin could be the worst in Chicago. I'm not too familiar with those places, but that is what I heard.

Also that one FBI study, which I thought was off in some way, named the intersection at State and Garfield (I think) as the second most dangerous place in the entire country, then there were like 3 others in Chicago.

I had an enrollment there about 2 months ago.

I set up my computer and presentation materials in the morning. At 10:30 am all of a sudden I heard automatics and gunshots going off down the block. About 30 minutes later more gunshots. I moved my stuff away from the window and started my enrollment.

During the enrollment I found out that the old manager had been killed in a robbery.

Later that day a guy came in and rolled a blunt at the table next to me. Another guy came in, poured out two lines of coke on the KFC tableand then snorted them. When some girls started to get make a little bit of a fuss he called them nosy.

As I was heading out a guy tried to get me for my computer.

That was the hardest I'd worked for a days paycheck in a long time.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I guess you posted this because I posted the truth about Orlando's 123 murders. Camden is part of the Philadelphia metro area which is ranked 84 in crime while the Orlando metro is ranked 22 (so as you can see there is far more crime in Orlando). Also you must have never driven through the Orange Blossom Trail, Pine Hills, and Bithlo sections of Orlando and seen the extreme poverty and despair of the people in those areas. Unfortunately there is poverty in every city in the United States.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Metr...8_Rank_Rev.pdf
That's just it. You did NOT post the truth about Orlando's murders. You inflated the figure to include ALL of Orange County. A County that sees about 48 MILLION tourists a year. Considering that, I'm actually surprised the area doesn't have more crime than it does.

As far as Philadelphias metro ranking for crime, think how even lower it could be if not for the cesspools on the Jersey side that have to be factored in. Trenton and Camden must drag the overall numbers down pretty dramatically. Sad.

And yes, I have seen all of the areas you mentioned in Orlando. And I would take them any day of the week over the cesspools of Trenton, Camden, the "so called" Great Northeast and West Philadelphia.

ANY DAY.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
New Orleans definitely. They have to have some of those most dangerous hoods. What are the demographics there pre and post Katrina? And the murder rate per 100k in 08 was 95 right?
I think it was.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 AM

378 posts, read 1,288,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

Pathetic.
I did not realize Camden, NJ was a neighborhood now.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 AM

378 posts, read 1,288,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I had an enrollment there about 2 months ago.

I set up my computer and presentation materials in the morning. At 10:30 am all of a sudden I heard automatics and gunshots going off down the block. About 30 minutes later more gunshots. I moved my stuff away from the window and started my enrollment.

During the enrollment I found out that the old manager had been killed in a robbery.

Later that day a guy came in and rolled a blunt at the table next to me. Another guy came in, poured out two lines of coke on the KFC tableand then snorted them. When some girls started to get make a little bit of a fuss he called them nosy.

As I was heading out a guy tried to get me for my computer.

That was the hardest I'd worked for a days paycheck in a long time.
LOL! Sorry but youre taking west garfield?

And the guy talking about Orlando, I went to school with a few kids from there and even they say Chicago, at least in the 90s, had the worst hoods. One was pretty convinced as he had family here and had heard stories, though I wish I had taken the time to hear them too.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:11 PM

11 posts, read 58,159 times
I live in Tukwila Washington and it has a lot of crime here

Old 07-26-2009, 07:22 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
LOL! Sorry but youre taking west garfield?

And the guy talking about Orlando, I went to school with a few kids from there and even they say Chicago, at least in the 90s, had the worst hoods. One was pretty convinced as he had family here and had heard stories, though I wish I had taken the time to hear them too.
Yep, thats the area.

Its literally a war zone.

I had a co-worker who had a cop as a son. She said he wouldn't wear his uniform out ever. He'd take it off before ever walking out of the station. She said that one time he was standing on the platform waiting for the "El" and somebody started shooting at him.

When you have 36 shootings in a single weekend (actual people getting shot, not reported shootings) you know you have a crime problem.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
Ive been to most cities in America and I say North Philly, South West Philly are the worst looking areas in America. There are also parts of Baltimore and Camden NJ that are sick looking. Most people have the question of the worst crime area ever recorded in America. There was a area in West Philly where police had to drop a bomb on the street because the crime was really high. Pretty crazy story HUH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City