Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 08:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
You have no evidence that NYPD stats are "bootleg". None, whatsoever. In fact, all police stats are reviewed annually by the Feds. Detroit, for example, was just found to be falsifying their info. NYC has never been found to falsify crime stats.

And even if you did have some inside info on NYC or other cities, you would have no way of telling if all other police stats were reliable or not, so you would have no basis of comparison.

And driving through a neighborhood tells you nothing. Just because a place looks ugly has nothing to do with the crime rate. Parts of Brooklyn or Queens look super-ugly but have low crime.

In Detroit, for example, the highest crime hood has nice single-family homes with big yards. So there would be no way of telling just by driving through.

In Atlanta, the hoods just look like boring suburbs, yet they have crazy crime rates.
I agree with you 100%, trust me I know looks have little to do with a crime rate look at my neighborhood it's not all 100% ugly and beat up but it's still one of the high-crime neighborhoods in NYC, If I remember correctly it actually had more homicides than East New York in 2008.

But when I hear about someone getting killed on the corner, the boulevard or somewhere else it usually doesn't show up on the stats (I understand it may not show up immediatly). I was going off of looks, crime and how I feel in the beginning, crime rates are a little complex so it's a little hard to compare different environments in my opinion. I could have said "No Man's Land, Kansas" is the worst as well because there's nothing there.

Posting on CD with an iPod touch is the worst lol.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:43 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Some of you don't know what you're talking about.

1st of all, I have come across numerous cities that obviously lie about their crime rates, it's fairly common to make the city look better. Did you know in 2007 Clevelands homicide count was off by 45? The FBI says there were 90 murders, it's common knowledge that it was 135+. Detroit is a obvious one. Atlanta is another one where people came out publicly to expose them for lying about their crime rate. If you're familiar with the Cleveland area East Cleveland and Lorain are others who lie big time about their crime rate or don't report it at all (EC).

2nd, crime rate is calculated mainly by per capita. Do you know what that means? It's the crimes divided by the number of people living there. These abandoned areas you speak of which aren't the worst will have the highest crime rates because of the relatively small population with a good number of crimes. The area with the most crime isn't the worst the majority of the crime. East Cleveland is really bad but it's not the worst in the Cleveland area, there are areas on the Eastside that are worse than it (kinsman, st.clair, superior, etc).

Old 09-05-2009, 08:46 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,830,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
I heard Chelsea, MA was bad too. Never been there but my manitos up there tell me it's kinda wild.
Not as bad as Roxbury

Old 09-05-2009, 08:55 PM

433 posts, read 876,207 times
If a crime is not reported who am I or anyone else to say that it actually took place unless I'm the victim. All you have to go by is the statistics which shows East Cleveland is not as bad as it use to be. I was robbed in East Cleveland and never called the police. How would you know, you would not unless I told you. BTW Kinsman is not that bad until you get close to 93rd. I know you realize that Kinsman goes to 154th. Most of it is pretty tamed, usually.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:34 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Heres the evidence. NYC is stat downgrading capital.

VDARE.com: 05/26/04 - “Disappearing” Urban Crime
  • On October 11, 1995, reporter William K. Rashbaum, then of the New York Daily News, published a memo he’d obtained from the 50th Precinct in The Bronx. The memo, by precinct commander, Capt. Anthony Kissik, instructed officers in the art of defining down crimes from felonies to misdemeanors or even non-crimes (e.g., a felony assault would be changed to a misdemeanor case of “harassment.”)
  • On January 29, 1996, Newsday’s Leonard Levitt reported on two rapes, one murder, and one fatal shooting of a car thief by a police officer (which was eventually counted as a homicide) from the previous December, none of which had been reported by the NYPD. The NYPD brass insisted (get this!) that a mysterious, unnamed reporter had stolen the crime reports. Levitt found out about the incidents from relatives of the victims.
  • On October 29, 1996, Captain Louis Vega, commander of the 41st Precinct in the South Bronx, was suspended without pay in a crime statistic fraud scandal. The Daily News quoted a stationhouse source as saying, “in any precinct you could go in and come up with complaints where the charges should be higher. There is tremendous pressure on precinct commanders to produce lower numbers.” Captain Vega’s mistake was apparently in violating the first law of lying: Plausibility. Crime was allegedly down 14% in the South Bronx overall from Jan. 1 to October 20, 1996 compared to the same period in 1995. But Vega reported a 40% crime reduction in his precinct.
  • On January 1998, the NYPD’s Transit Bureau was caught fudging violent crime stats. Bureau Chief William Donoghue was forced to resign. NYPD Commissioner Howard Safir, apparently a master of fuzzy math, insisted that the fraudulent underreporting of subway crime by 20 percent did not affect the NYPD’s overall crime statistics:
  • "While a true portrait of citywide crime was being painted, a somewhat skewed picture of crime in the subway was being put forth."
“was logged as a lesser crime—thus giving a rare look into what some beat cops say is a statistical sleight of hand used by their commanders.
“According to many patrol officers, commanders sometimes reclassify major crimes like murder, assault, robbery and rape as lesser offenses to make it appear they are winning the war on crime....
“… the March 8 rape of a woman at a Bailey Avenue hotel was recorded as an 'inconclusive' incident. Only on Tuesday, after The Post started asking questions, was the crime properly classified as rape."
NYC Crime: Up or Down? | The Daily Gotham
No, this isn't evidence. Try again.

Don't give me a Daily News editorial from 15 years ago!

Give me something current, from 2009, and from the Department of Justice.

The Department of Justice reviews police reports, not the NY Daily News editorial board.

And you cannot even find something from the last decade!! This is all from Dinkins and Giuliani! Crime has dropped 40% since Giuliani!

And you still can't make a comparison between NYC and other cities. You would only have a point if you could prove that all other cities were NOT exaggerating their numbers which you obviously can't do.

But the DOJ DOES do this, and they find NYC 100% compliant!

Now I am not saying the NYPD is perfect! I am sure they have their bad apples. In fact, I am sure they have many.

But the only reason you could say the numbers are not reliable is if the DOJ found something suspicious. But it doesn't, year after year, and it does in cities like Detroit and Atlanta.

So, based on the DOJ reports, there is no way you can say the NYPD numbers are less reliable than in other cities. The NYPD, while it certainly has problems, is generally regarded as a fairly professional police force in 2009, at least relative to other cities.

They fire their guns less than any other big-city department, and they have less brutality complaints than any other big-city department. Now they are FAR from perfect, and they need to improve many things, but there really is no evidence of any cover-up.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,508 times
Bethesda, MD Stay indoors after 7pm or else...

Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Bethesda, MD Stay indoors after 7pm or else...

i heard bethesda was cool? no

Old 09-06-2009, 01:40 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
If a crime is not reported who am I or anyone else to say that it actually took place unless I'm the victim. All you have to go by is the statistics which shows East Cleveland is not as bad as it use to be. I was robbed in East Cleveland and never called the police. How would you know, you would not unless I told you. BTW Kinsman is not that bad until you get close to 93rd. I know you realize that Kinsman goes to 154th. Most of it is pretty tamed, usually.
That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about if the person reports the crime, but the department finds its way around it to not include a certain number of crimes in the statistics that they turn into to the FBI and other places. Still what you're saying further proves my point. In many areas in and around Cleveland people hardly report crimes even if many are happening, also a lot of times people call the police to report crimes and the police never show up or don't include that in the statistics. But as I said what I'm talking about is the department intentionally taking a certain number of crimes out of the statistics they turn in to make the city or the people running the city look better for whatever reason. It's very obvious sometimes, other times not so much.

Kinsman is pretty bad the whole way down. 55th-93rd being the worst then it gets a little better around the parks and MLK, then it gets almost as bad again past 116th to around 140th, after that it slowly gets better as it turns into Chagrin.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:21 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i heard bethesda was cool? no
I think he was joking. Bethesda is an extremely safe city.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:12 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
No, this isn't evidence. Try again.

Don't give me a Daily News editorial from 15 years ago!

Give me something current, from 2009, and from the Department of Justice.

The Department of Justice reviews police reports, not the NY Daily News editorial board.

And you cannot even find something from the last decade!! This is all from Dinkins and Giuliani! Crime has dropped 40% since Giuliani!

And you still can't make a comparison between NYC and other cities. You would only have a point if you could prove that all other cities were NOT exaggerating their numbers which you obviously can't do.

But the DOJ DOES do this, and they find NYC 100% compliant!

Now I am not saying the NYPD is perfect! I am sure they have their bad apples. In fact, I am sure they have many.

But the only reason you could say the numbers are not reliable is if the DOJ found something suspicious. But it doesn't, year after year, and it does in cities like Detroit and Atlanta.

So, based on the DOJ reports, there is no way you can say the NYPD numbers are less reliable than in other cities. The NYPD, while it certainly has problems, is generally regarded as a fairly professional police force in 2009, at least relative to other cities.

They fire their guns less than any other big-city department, and they have less brutality complaints than any other big-city department. Now they are FAR from perfect, and they need to improve many things, but there really is no evidence of any cover-up.
You obviuosly havent lived in a rough area of NYC because if you try calling the cops to report lets say a Burglary 3 things will happen. 1. It will take them hours to come. 2. They wont come. 3. When they arrive they will classify an obvious burglary as criminal trespassing. NYC has a very corrupt government just watch the news and see. Lol your saying because some DOJ says NYC is 100% coorect in their Police Reports that its true Out of curiosity how does the Bloomberg/Kelly Kool Aid taste?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City