Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
The state "lost" the lawsuit because of corrupt judges, courtesy of the ninth circuit court, a judicial activist, anti-Constitutional, un-American court, home to left-wing ideologues.
Whatever the cause....the point is we lost.

We've since coined a new word for California: Mexifornia.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
LOL. I dont believe that you can ban me from using that word.

Maybe people will start to realize how stupid they sound when they say it
It ain't any stupider than youse guys. English is seriously deficient in that it lacks a plural you. Until we develop one we can all agree on, I'll continue to use y'all. But unlike you, I will properly place my apostrophe in order to make it a little less "stupid" of a contraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Again, the difference isn't in culture, it's in money. Urban areas have more money. Rural areas have less money. There are rednecks in every state. Even in big cities like Chicago and Boston. They're just outnumbered by people who care about being politically correct. For every hick you can find in rural Tennessee, I can find an artist, writer, or philosopher. Culture isn't just in books and museums. Culture is what's all around us. The man who goes hunting deer every fall may be someone with a deep appreciation of the beauty around him, someone who waits for the fall, for the silence in the woods when he can hear a twig breaking beneath a hoof, for the solitude of the early morning and the creeping cold that makes visible his breath. There's culture in the quilts pieced together by the ladies in the church, there's culture in the evening meal you sit down to partake. The "backwards" people are the ones who don't look around themselves to see what their culture offers, and long for the culture elsewhere. Certainly, I love the museums and galleries in New York City, the bookstores, the concerts, the opera and the plays. But it's not "backwards" to come home to Arkansas and to breathe deep of the clean air, to climb the hills and look across the green verdant landscape for miles and miles. It's not "backwards" to listen the lyrics of country music, and hear that poetry any more than it is "backwards" to listen to rap and hear the rhythms of the street. It's not "backwards" to look at a quilt, and to appreciate the colors and composition of it like any piece of modern art, and to know the hours of loving labor that created it. "Backwards" is putting down things you don't take the time to understand.
Good job. Whitman would be proud. And, like Whitman, you've realized it's possible to love both city and country without contradicting yourself. If you do contradict yourself? Very well then, you're large. You contain multitudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
When I think of backwards I think of infrastructure and of the states that I have been through Mississippi was truly the most depressing in that regard.
Most? Apparently you've never been to Louisiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Whereas out west the open-minded ones are open0minded to EVERYBODY. Im not conservative, nor am I liberal, but I tend to lean more towards liberal.
And apparently you've never been out west.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
^ First it is not youse guys..... it is you guys

Sorry. I did not know where the apostophe should be placed because I dont say yall.

Also, I dont care to learn where the apostophe in yall should be placed becuase I dont speak redneck

Bye Yall

Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I dont speak redneck
Hey y'all: "Redneck" ain't no language. Its dem nasty people up da road.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,866 times
Quote:

Sorry. I did not know where the apostophe should be placed because I dont say yall.

Also, I dont care to learn where the apostophe in yall should be placed becuase I dont speak redneck

Bye Yall
It's actually "Y'all", and it is an acceptable contraction for "YOU ALL".

You think that it is "REDNECK" because Hollywood has told you that.

I do disagree, however, with people misplacing the apostrophe, as in "ya'll". I see this all the time, and wonder if these people even know what y'all stands for.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
You think that it is "REDNECK" because Hollywood has told you that.
I love Los Angeles! Even the part called "Holly-weird."

Old 04-06-2009, 12:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
It ain't any stupider than youse guys. English is seriously deficient in that it lacks a plural you. Until we develop one we can all agree on, I'll continue to use y'all. But unlike you, I will properly place my apostrophe in order to make it a little less "stupid" of a contraction.

Good job. Whitman would be proud. And, like Whitman, you've realized it's possible to love both city and country without contradicting yourself. If you do contradict yourself? Very well then, you're large. You contain multitudes.

Most? Apparently you've never been to Louisiana.

And apparently you've never been out west.
^^^But I DO live in the east and can already tell you what I said about the west is true. And when I say west I include Texas, and I lived in Texas for 8 years. It's a VERY progressive state.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Massachusetts is backwards, considering that they allow their ideology to allow them to continuously elect a homosexual who having allegations of have sex with male subordinates, not to mention they continue to elect an individual who killed, intentional or not, an individual over thirty years ago.
I'm not sure I see why those things are backwards. The Ted Kennedy thing definitely is shady and wrong. Whatever the deal is with Bernie Frank (I'm assuming these are the people you're talking about) doesn't seem to be that crazy. If the sex is consensual, then who cares?

I'm just trying to see why these things make Massachusetts backwards. Care to elaborate a little?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Hey y'all: "Redneck" ain't no language. Its dem nasty people up da road.
Hey Bo,

I am fixin to go to dat der nascar and drink some bud light if bubba would git.

Lord willin, if i could just get someone to watch my youngins i could go deer huntin

Bye yall

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:

Bye Yall
NYC1Day? As I have said before, I know you (from the forum and our conversations) to be a good guy, and think of you as a friend. I mean that sincerely.

But posts like this make it hard to understand where and why you are coming from. And as I have said before too, the fact I DO consider you a friend makes me reply quite a bit more tactful than I would otherwise. But that goes both ways, I know.

But anyway, c'mon! "Y'all" is "redneck speak????"

As TexastheKid said, a plural "you" is lacking in the English language...so it developed and varied across the country with settlement patterns via that dating back to Europe.

In the South, "y'all" became the second person plural pronoun...a contraction of "you all." Of course, I am biased here, but I go to say it is lyrical, lovely...and, perfectly correct. Good gawd, how does it make better sense to refer to a group of females as "you guys"?

On the proverbial related tangent, IMHO, a reason why many yankees have a disdain for the use of the word, is deeply-rooted in a basic disdain for the South itself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City