Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 AM

259 posts, read 543,467 times

Advertisements

Houston is no where near chicago....but I dont see how LA us over chicago there are sooooo many companies that choose chicago/land as home..NYC is the entertainment cptl of the world but yet they only slightly edge out chicago in tourist #'s each year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:09 AM

But if we are speaking of importance then right off the back DC should be at the top of the list imo then 2nd NYC 3rd Chicago 4th LA 5th at one point and time it would have been detroit

Old 10-05-2009, 06:41 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Houston is no where near chicago....but I dont see how LA us over chicago there are sooooo many companies that choose chicago/land as home..NYC is the entertainment cptl of the world but yet they only slightly edge out chicago in tourist #'s each year
The economy is much larger in LA than it is in Chicago. Its the 3rd largest in the world.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's interesting that so many people put Houston in the top 5. The top 3 are definitely:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago

Period. No questions asked. Now who the other 2 are (well one has to be DC), and which is ahead is debatable. Here's the top 10 cities by GDP which is not the only factor, but a very important factor in ranking cities by "importance" in the context of this thread:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Washington DC
6. Boston
7. Dallas
8. San Fran.
9. Atlanta
10. Houston

So, I would say:

4. Washington DC
5. San Fran./Atlanta/Boston/College Park (MD)

Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
OK. As far as Chicago being above LA for "sooooo many companies that choose chicago/land as home," that argument doesn't hold much weight because Houston has far surpassed both of those cities in corporate power. But forget about Houston for a second. Why do people on this blog constantly put down and underestimate LA? I don't even live there and I get annoyed by it.

And I said Houston was gaining on Chicago. I didn't say they were neck in neck. Houston is growing really fast economically and in population. Even though they are still quite a bit off, each decade, they decade they've been putting a big dent in the gap between Houston and Chicago both economically and in population. I'm just going by what I've scene the city go through over the past decade the projections for Houston's future.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
And I said Houston was gaining on Chicago. I didn't say they were neck in neck. Houston is growing really fast economically and in population. Even though they are still quite a bit off, each decade, they decade they've been putting a big dent in the gap between Houston and Chicago both economically and in population. I'm just going by what I've scene the city go through over the past decade the projections for Houston's future.
If Houston and Dallas were located next to each other, that metro would be a force to be reckoned with.

Houston a "World Capital of the Future"
"Last year, Houston and Dallas grew more than any other metropolitan region in the country; over the past decade, their populations have increased six times more rapidly than New York, Los Angeles, Chicago or San Francisco.
But it's not all a demographic game; cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas have similarly enjoyed rapid growth but do not fit on the rising global cities list. The key difference lies in the Texan cities' rising corporate power. Houston, with 27 Fortune 500 firms, has passed Chicago in the number of Fortune 500 companies, while Dallas, with 14, ranks third. Together, the two Texan cities account for about as many Fortune firms as New York, once home to almost a third of the nation's largest companies."

World Capitals Of The Future - Houston and Dallas

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM

But houston and dallas aren't next to each other so that notion is dead I mean in the same right what if chicago annexed all the surrounding burns and areas what would the situation be then? but who cares cause we dont

Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM

87 posts, read 186,248 times
All things considered this is how I would break it down...

1. New York
2. Seattle
3. Houston
4. Boston
5. ?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:11 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hype View Post
All things considered this is how I would break it down...

1. New York
2. Seattle
3. Houston
4. Boston
5. ?
If you're going to put out such a controversial list, could you please include some reasons as to why you'd put those cities in that order?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:20 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
1) Wichita, KS
2) New York City
3) Seattle
4) Butte, MT
5) Washington DC

/thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City