Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 04:58 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I understand what you're saying, but no one is immune to this crisis. Even the cities which were growing at alarming rates have been affected. Just look at Phoenix and Las Vegas. Both of those cities were absolutely crushed.
Dallas and Houston will not be hit like Vegas and Phoenix.

There is a huge difference in the economies of those places and what they are based on. Vegas is pretty much all tourism and conventions. Phoenix has some economic diversity, but not a whole hell of alot. Its mainly based on tourism as well. Dallas and Houston's economies are driven by natural resources and energy. Those things will always be in need reguardless of the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Here are mine:
1.NYC
2.L.A.
3.Washington D.C.
4.Chicago
5.Atlanta
6.Houston,Dallas
7.Boston
8.Philly
9.San Francisco
10.Miami,with Charlotte not to far behind.

These are why I ranked them the way I did

Influence-
A.Economy
B.Culturally>pop culture,movies,writing,etc...
C.Logistically(getting to/and out of),reason to be there
D.Historically nationally during any important period in the NATIONS history
E.Education/Research
F.Must the Leader in its region
Actually I think this list is pretty much dead on. However, I do still think that Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are pretty well interchangable depending on what facet you look at.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:07 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
You Houston people are so PREDICTABLE.Thank's,I knew i'd get a laugh out of that.

I stand by my choices.(particularly over Dallas & Houston)
This is why:

Influence-
A.Economy Dallas or Houston
B.Culturally>pop culture,movies,writing,etc...Atlanta all the way(Music,Movie and Television Production)
C.Logistically(getting to/and out of),reason to be there....Atlanta,Airport,Public Transportation, Interstates,proximity to other areas,Trucking and Railroads,then Dallas
D.Historically nationally during any important period in the NATIONS history...Atlanta(Civil War to Civil rights)
E.Education/Research ...Atlanta by a long shot.Number of institutions,research expenditures,educated workforce and general population
F.Regional Prominence: Must the Leader in its region...Atlanta Because of B,C,E and some of A.

I will now answer your questions.
I can't think of a single university or research center in Atlanta that is more prestigious and internationally renowned than RICE, NASA, or the TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER. And I keep seeing these post about how relevant Atlanta is in pop culture. The city is maybe on par with Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, and Austin. Some of these post are making it seem like the city is on the same level as New York, LA, or Chicago. Forget it. It's a second or third rate media city at best. The city may be a step above Dallas and Houston. As for transportation, Atlanta is only a few places above DFW's airport and Dallas and Houston have two international airports. Also, Houston has something that Atlanta will never have and that's the Nation's third largest seaport.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas and Houston will not be hit like Vegas and Phoenix.

There is a huge difference in the economies of those places and what they are based on. Vegas is pretty much all tourism and conventions. Phoenix has some economic diversity, but not a whole hell of alot. Its mainly based on tourism as well.
... Which is actually mentioned a few pages ago in the thread. It even used Vegas and Phoenix as the examples.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post11052874

Old 10-05-2009, 05:17 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
How could you place Dallas and Houston,then include Miami,but not mention Atlanta?Miami does not belong on any list as far as being influential.Miami is known for NO political power,NO business clout,and No major cultural contribution to the U.S.nor is it a education center for higher learning or research.Unless you would care to enlighten me this is a crazy IMO.
Come to think of it I did omit Atlanta and as I think about it further ATL should definitely be ranked above MIA.

Quote:
Here are mine:
1.NYC
2.L.A.
3.Washington D.C.
4.Chicago
5.Atlanta
6.Houston,Dallas
7.Boston
8.Philly
9.San Francisco
10.Miami,with Charlotte not to far behind.

These are why I ranked them the way I did

Influence-
A.Economy
B.Culturally>pop culture,movies,writing,etc...
C.Logistically(getting to/and out of),reason to be there
D.Historically nationally during any important period in the NATIONS history
E.Education/Research
F.Must the Leader in its region

Its funny that you used the above as your criteria and Atlanta is ranked above SF, Boston and Philadelphia.

A. Economy: All three of the above have larger economies than ATL based on GDP.

B. Culturally: SF is one of the most influential cities in the nation culturally ranging from Liberal culture to the Gay rights movement.

C. Logistically: The close proximity of of Boston and Philly to other major US cities (DC, NYC, Baltimore) makes them more attractive than ATL.

D. Historically: Philadelphia and Boston are the two most historic cities in the country, no disputing that fact.

E. Education/Research: Boston is the higher Education capital of the nation and a case can be made of the world. Philadelphia and SF also represent themselves very nicely on all the US News lists and rankings.

Research: SF and Boston are the Biotech capitals of the world. More NIH funding for medical research is funneled to Boston than any other city in the country.

F: SF is the capital of the Bay Area, which is one of the most economically powerful areas in the country. Boston is the economic and cultural capital of New England.

In addition I am sure the Houston members of the forum can easily make a stronger case than Atlanta as well.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I can't think of a single university or research center in Atlanta that is more prestigious and internationally renowned than RICE, NASA, or the TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER. And I keep seeing these post about how relevant Atlanta is in pop culture. The city is maybe on par with Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, and Austin. Some of these post are making it seem like the city is on the same level as New York, LA, or Chicago. Forget it. It's a second or third rate media city at best. The city may be a step above Dallas and Houston. As for transportation, Atlanta is only a few places above DFW's airport and Dallas and Houston have two international airports. Also, Houston has something that Atlanta will never have and that's the Nation's third largest seaport.
LOL.So because YOU do not know,there is a problem?Well Emory University,Georgia Tech,Georgia State University,Morehouse College,and Spelman Colleges are just a few.Not to mention the countless numbers more.Also Georgia Tech can count 14 astronauts that have graduated from is Aerospace program.(You know those that have gone on to NASA in Houston)Many students form around the globe come to study there.
Check this out:ARCHE Report: Higher Education in America̢۪s Metropolitan Areas
If you also do not know about The CDC,which is the largest federal government agency headquartered of D.C. next door to Emory University,oh well.

As far as Airport.Atlanta Airport does more in Cargo and passengers than Houston and Dallas.If you were to add both of Houston Airports,it STILL would not even come close to equaling Atlanta's volume.Dallas does a little more than HALF of what Atlanta does.Also Atlanta doe not have to have a "seaport". Not to mention Savannah is now ahead of Houston as a large port.The airport and the port being only a 3.5 hour drive means both will continue to grow and feed off each other.
Freight Facts and Figures 2006 - Figure 2-9. Top U.S. Container Ports by Containerized Cargo: 2005 - FHWA Freight Management and Operations

Last edited by afonega1; 10-05-2009 at 06:49 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 06:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Come to think of it I did omit Atlanta and as I think about it further ATL should definitely be ranked above MIA.

Its funny that you used the above as your criteria and Atlanta is ranked above SF, Boston and Philadelphia.

A. Economy: All three of the above have larger economies than ATL based on GDP.

B. Culturally: SF is one of the most influential cities in the nation culturally ranging from Liberal culture to the Gay rights movement.

C. Logistically: The close proximity of of Boston and Philly to other major US cities (DC, NYC, Baltimore) makes them more attractive than ATL.

D. Historically: Philadelphia and Boston are the two most historic cities in the country, no disputing that fact.

E. Education/Research: Boston is the higher Education capital of the nation and a case can be made of the world. Philadelphia and SF also represent themselves very nicely on all the US News lists and rankings.

Research: SF and Boston are the Biotech capitals of the world. More NIH funding for medical research is funneled to Boston than any other city in the country.

F: SF is the capital of the Bay Area, which is one of the most economically powerful areas in the country. Boston is the economic and cultural capital of New England.

In addition I am sure the Houston members of the forum can easily make a stronger case than Atlanta as well.
Economy wise yes you are correct.Atlanta is not far in most cases so its not blown out of the water either.Its tied with Dallas behind NYC,and Houston with the most Fortune 500 headquarters.
Culturally-You have a point with San Francisco,but Atlanta was the center of the civil rights movement.When other Southern cities were rioting when the civil rights laws were passed and Ivan Allen(the white mayor at the time) was the only Southern Mayor to testify in favor of Civil Rights legislation.Also had and (has)one of the first black Mayors(male or female).Gay rights?Well Atlanta has had a pretty good record on that too.And not just for a "Southern City".We have had a Lesbian for as City Council Pres. and the city offers Domestic Partner benefits for its residents since the early 1990's.Coca-Cola the most recognized brand in the world.
Logistically-The airport being a major draw makes Atlanta more accesibile to the who U.S.Not just NYC.Charlotte banking,Houston's Oil,and Dallas..Cowboys?,Miami,Chicago?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

Education-Atlanta ranks 7th in total enrollment and 8th in degrees awarded(just behind Philly and San Diego and Boston.San Fran is no where near.In research expenditures Atlanta ranks 5th.Houston,Chicago,Philly, and San Fran is 14th.(above link in my other post).Biotech and Medical are important(which Atlanta also does well)but what about Aerospace and other fields.

Regional Prominence-New England is not a region,its a sub-region.Like the South WestL.A. is that.Not San Fran.

This is not just in one area,but in ALL areas COLLECTIVELY.

Last edited by afonega1; 10-05-2009 at 06:49 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 06:24 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Ever heard of the CDC, Emory University, etc

Old 10-05-2009, 06:36 PM

259 posts, read 543,467 times
atlanta doesnt belong on the list well at least not as high...i would put houston and dallas before atlanta with houston being first then dallas then atl

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
As far as Airport.Atlanta Airport does more in Cargo and passengers than Houston and Dallas.If you were to add both of Houston Airports,it STILL would not even come close to equaling Atlanta's volume.Dallas does a little more than HALF of what Atlanta does.
LOL youre pretty bad a math if you think DFW handles "a little more than half" of what ATL handles.

From January to June of 2009:

ATL had 43,000,000 passengers
DFW had 27,400,000 passengers
IAH had 19,500,000 passengers

In 2008:

ATL had about 1,000,000 aircraft movements
DFW had about 660,000 aircraft movements
IAH had about 575,000 aircraft movements

Love Fied (DAL) handles about 6,000,000 passengers annually. Yes, its still not as much as ATL, but Atlanta is also better positioned to be a hub than DFW or IAH.

If you want to talk O&D, thats a whole other ball game.

O&D traffic is what we in the airline industry call Origin and Destination traffic. Its traffic that either starts or ends their journey at a particular airport. The amount of International O&D at Atlanta is by far and away the smallest of the three cities in question (ATL, DFW, IAH). Houston has more international O&D to every reigion of the world than Atlanta.

DFW has more O&D to Latin America, Asia, and the South Pacific (small margin to the last one). Atlanta has more O&D to Europe and Africa than DFW, however by a small margin to Europe (ATL sends about 900,000 pax per year to Europe and DFW sends about 750,000) and about double the amount of O&D to Africa. That being said ATL's O&D to Africa still isnt that big. Whereas DFW sends about 1.6 million passengers to Latin America per year, ATL sends about 350,000.

This is one of the points I would use showing that of Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston, Atlanta is the least international.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City