Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 288 52.17%
Boston 264 47.83%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL_urbanlover08 View Post
It's hard to claim Boston has a larger Italian population than South Philly, which is essentially a gigantic "Little Italy" in itself
Perhaps, but we were discussing dining. Lets compare

Hanover Street and Salem Street in the North End of Boston....

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hanov...,278.9,,0,1.01

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=salem...4.68,,0,-11.74

to 9th and Christian in South Philly

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=9th+a...93.63,,0,11.83

Boston's North End is much more vibrant with a larger selection of Italian Dining

check this thread... Best Little Italy / Italian Neighborhood in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM

70 posts, read 125,563 times
Quote:
And I wonder what in PA you consider more scenic than places like Acadia National Park in Maine, Cape Cod, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, NH's Lakes region, or the White and Green Mountains of NH/VT?
Valley Forge
Washington's Crossing and New Hope, PA
The Poconos
Lancaster County and Amish country
Kennett Square (Longwood Gardens + mushroom growing)
Jim Thorpe, PA
Cape May, NJ

Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Perhaps, but we were discussing dining. Lets compare

Hanover Street and Salem Street in the North End of Boston....

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hanov...,278.9,,0,1.01

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=salem...4.68,,0,-11.74

to 9th and Christian in South Philly

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=9th+a...93.63,,0,11.83

Boston's North End is much more vibrant with a larger selection of Italian Dining

check this thread... Best Little Italy / Italian Neighborhood in the US

Haha while I applaud your post sir the google maps car must have driven through the Italian Market either early in the morning or later in the afternoon when everyone is closing shop....this is not what it looks like during the day. It is actually very active during the day.

For example
http://www.visitphilly.com/tours/philadelphia/italian-market-tour/

Frozen Tropics: Italian Market (Philadelphia)

http://www.visitphilly.com/events/philadelphia/sorrento-cheese-9th-street-italian-market-festival/

http://caroundtheworld.com/2011/07/22/photo-friday-philadelphia-italian-market-festival/

http://caroundtheworld.com/2011/07/22/photo-friday-philadelphia-italian-market-festival/

Plus the vibrancy of Pat's and Geno's at the Southern end of the Italian Market
Those two are always packed

Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
I have a question to ask those of you who criticize Philadelphia for its problems with crime and poverty: do you like Chicago? If you do, then you're kind of a hypocrite, because Chicago has the same problems with crime and poverty that Philadelphia does. And no, Philadelphia doesn't have those problems to a larger degree than Chicago does either. In fact, the nice part of Chicago is pretty much limited to a strip of land from the University of Chicago north through the Loop into the North Side, no more than two miles from the lake. Outside that area, Chicago is actually pretty ****ty. Chicago's South Side and West Side are just like North Philadelphia and West Philadelphia, yet everybody adores Chicago while they sneer at Philadelphia. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Valley Forge
Washington's Crossing and New Hope, PA
The Poconos
Lancaster County and Amish country
Kennett Square (Longwood Gardens + mushroom growing)
Jim Thorpe, PA
Cape May, NJ
Fair enough. I actually like Philly a lot, I really do. It's hard for a Bostonian not to as they are peer cities in many ways. We could battle it out further, as I much prefer the sandy shores of Cape Cod, rocky coast of Maine, lakes of NH over the rolling green hills of PA or Jersey Shore. We couldo go in circles like a dog chasing its own tail but we're both expressing mere opinions. I just needed to call you out on the chowda and beans remark (honestly who in Boston really feasts on baked beans, nobody I know) as you summed up Boston's culinary scene was very off the mark and vastly underestimated based on a corny chiche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Haha while I applaud your post sir the google maps car must have driven through the Italian Market either early in the morning or later in the afternoon when everyone is closing shop....this is not what it looks like during the day. It is actually very active during the day.
Plus the vibrancy of Pat's and Geno's at the Southern end of the Italian Market
Those two are always packed
I think the North End still has more activity though I do appreciate South Philly nonetheless. They're both better than Manhattan's Little Italy, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I have a question to ask those of you who criticize Philadelphia for its problems with crime and poverty: do you like Chicago? If you do, then you're kind of a hypocrite, because Chicago has the same problems with crime and poverty that Philadelphia does. And no, Philadelphia doesn't have those problems to a larger degree than Chicago does either. In fact, the nice part of Chicago is pretty much limited to a strip of land from the University of Chicago north through the Loop into the North Side, no more than two miles from the lake. Outside that area, Chicago is actually pretty ****ty. Chicago's South Side and West Side are just like North Philadelphia and West Philadelphia, yet everybody adores Chicago while they sneer at Philadelphia. It doesn't make any sense to me.
I don't really judge Philly based on those areas, Boston has its ugly side too (Ashmont, Mattapan, Roxbury, Chelsea, Lynn), most cities do.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-06-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Fair enough. I actually liek Philly a lot, I really do. It's hard for a Bostonian not to as they are peer cities in many ways. We could battle it out further, as I much prefer the sandy shores of Cape Cod or rocky coast of Maine or lakes of NH to the rolling green hills of PA or Jersey Shore. I also think the North End still has more activity though I do appreciate South Philly nonetheless. We could on circles like a dog chasing its own tail and we're both expressing mere opinions. I just needed to call you out on the the chowda and beans remark (honestly who in Boston really feasts on baked beans, nobody I know) as your remark on Boston's culinary scene was very off the mark and vastly underestimated based on a corny chiche.
That wasn't me lol. I think the was GTL_Urbanlover08 or whatever. I certainly did not make that remark. I love Boston almost as much as I love Philly haha... and they really almost exactly the same except Philly is a rougher around the edges. It really comes down to preference and opinion with Boston and Philly since they are almost identical.

The Boston Public Gardens and Historic Beacon Hill | 52 Perfect Days

http://www.visitphilly.com/history/p...lfreths-alley/
I mean like really...can you tell the difference? haha.

Boston and Philly certainly each have their own uniqueness but they are probably the two most similar cities in this country who both preserved their history so well.

On the North End being more vibrant I can't comment on that... I haven't been back to Boston in so so long and I need to return as soon as possible. I was just showing you the Italian Market usually isn't dead like it seems on google maps.... plus Philly has WAY more vibrant areas than the Italian Market i.e. Old City, South Street, Chestnut Street, Walnut Street, South Broad (avenue of the arts), Rittenhouse Square, University City, Northern Liberties, Fairmount/Art Museum Area, Passyunk Ave, Main Street Manayunk, Germantown Ave in Chestnut Hill etc. etc.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 06-06-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 06:58 PM

The look similar. Philadelphia's downtown is considerably livelier than Boston's. In fact calling Boston "desolate" is an euphemism.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
The look similar. Philadelphia's downtown is considerably livelier than Boston's. In fact calling Boston "desolate" is an euphemism.
I would expect Philly to seem livelier since it has a larger city and metro population... but I digress. That certainly does not make Boston desolate in any way shape or form. Anyone saying so has never been there.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Huh??? Philly has just as many good neighborhoods as Boston, if not more. Philly has more "slums" because it's a bigger city!! Philly is closer to New York and DC than Boston is and PA has better looking nature than New England and we also are close to the ocean with 24-hour Atlantic City. Philly has better food, just search for restaurants. And we got more stuff than just "chow-dah" and baked beans, and not to mention the Amish country. You know that on Travel and Leisure Philly is rated higher than Boston.
I am going to assume this post was done so as a joke. Because who could take this serious?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 PM

I have been to Boston's waterfront and North End a few times. One time the North End was almost empty on a Saturday afternoon. Also when I walked from downtown back to my hostel in the museum of fine arts area the streets were pitch dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City